• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Does the early closure affects your early purchase of next year’s pass?

Do you think they (resorts, Vail, Alterra etc) may extend the spring pricing deadline?

Reactions: BC.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt it. It might be worth the pass insurance though I'd have to look into that. I'm curious if the cutoff dates are extended to give more time.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess not....I bought mine this past week. My season was not so good here in the East so I am committing early to multiple trips out west next year......

But I am also known for making terrible financial decisions.....so there’s that.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I guess not....I bought mine this past week. My season was not so good here in the East so I am committing early to multiple trips out west next year......

But I am also known for making terrible financial decisions.....so there’s that.

If you think of it more as an investment in mental and emotional well-being, you have months of positive returns ahead!

Reactions: BC.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bought mine yesterday. With early old peoples discounts got the rest of this season and all next season at 2 ski areas. For $300 couldn't not do it!
Oh ya then there is the cashback for using the card; that is like a free ski area beer. SCORE!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Since we're missing at least a month of skiing, I think the renewal discount should be upped.
That would be nice but we roll the dice when we buy a pass. Whether it be a bad snow year or some new virus, we know there's a chance of not getting a full season. My wife only got four days on her IKON this year. I got about a dozen so I guess we technically paid for the passes. We both paid for our local pass.

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a friend trying to get my wife and me to defect from Ikon to Epic this year, but I've had my eyes on Ikon resorts like Big Sky (trip cancelled in 3 weeks), Jackson Hole, and all those CO and UT resorts so long that I haven't had a chance to get to that I'm torn. I have definitely considered getting both base/local passes even though that would be retarded for our 3 trips per year. I can wait a few days I guess.

Last edited:

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I wanted to buy 20/21 Taos pass and ski it the rest of the 19/20 season. That’s not going to happen due to early closures. Will wait for the prices to come out but it’s unlikely that I’ll bite on Taos. the day tickets at Costco are $135 for two day pass

Ikon may be worth a look: five days at Taos and may be a trip to Alta/Bird.

Santa Fe sells passes in the early fall. Will buy again.

Last edited:
TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I was going to but the full Ikon pass, and to use it right away. The early close now changes the calculation. I may or may not go with Ikon. Or, even if I do go with Ikon, I may forgo the early purchase part.

The economy is on the brink. I need time to let the fallout play itself out before committing nearly a grand on a hobby.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be nice but we roll the dice when we buy a pass. Whether it be a bad snow year or some new virus, we know there's a chance of not getting a full season. My wife only got four days on her IKON this year. I got about a dozen so I guess we technically paid for the passes. We both paid for our local pass.

I agree with this. Although the virus is not something anyone could foresee, it still falls into the category of gambling on a bad snow year. It sucks and everyone will be hurt by this, both financially or otherwise.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We only got five days each on our IKON passes, due to lazyness on planning a trip west (although if we had headed out in early March as we have in the past that wouldn't have ended well). If Killington does reopen, we may go back up. BUT, I did get almost 80 days on my local Bristol pass, so that certainly paid off. Friends of our bought the Epic and were scheduled to leave for CO today-obviously that didn't happen.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m not sure about every pass product but I think insurance applies to not being able to ski due a personal medical condition or injury. I don’t think it would cover viral pandemic.
I wrote a bit of a diatribe on this in the other thread, some of it snarky. But correct, insurance is for individual events not all-or-none events.

Last edited:

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost committed to Mt. Rose double pass, I decided against it last minute. This has just been one off season...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday River extended their "early flash sale" to end of April due to Covid-19.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am fortunate that we got 7days on our Ikon base passes, so not worried about my money there. Not sure what to do for next year though.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We bought ours. They'll extend and probably even discount. They're going to need as many sales as they can get.

Sponsor

Staff online