• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
OK boot gurus

Coming off some original generation Head Vectors (which had plenty of work around the 6th toe). Gonna need new boots before next season.

How does the Hawx Magna compare for a foot that is very wide at the 6th toe? Are newer Vectors still the same fit?

Will seek a bootfitter but wanted an idea what I need to make sure is in stock b4 I take a trip.

Thx

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Bumpity bump. Might be getting a little more critical as might be having minor surgery that will hamper buying and fitting in classic pre season Sept/Oct window so views welcome. Basically what boots are good candidates to succeed a Head Vector (with about the max stretching work in 6th toe area). Availability in 120/130 flex also desired so none of the punter "comfort fit/flex" options really work.

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Hi Bob,

I have a reason for asking, --- do you happen to have large calves?

How wide is your forefoot in Millimeters?

Mike

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Pretty large calves - always chucked out the spoilers and used the outermost clip settings on the cuff but no special clips - that's on a Head Vector and a Salomon something before then. Tall enough really to get a lot of clearance.

Will measure foot up when I can but usually size up about 2 sizes in street shoes to get width.

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
A large calf muscle will push the tibia/knee forward more so than a slimmer one.

The tibia will be inclined more forward there fore the knee will be pushed to far forward over the boot sole.

This will cause YOU to move rearward by moving your hips back.

Since your femur is usually 17% longer than your Tibia this locates your butt behind your heels, (back seat)

you then lean forward at the waist trying to get out of the back seat---does this sound familiar?

The result of all this moving around, will push your calf against the back of the boot cuff, AND push your

foot forward up into the narrower

end of the boot shell (ouch). This will never stop happening, regardless of the brand/model you might

purchase.

Pull the footbed out of your liner and see if you can see an imprint of where your foot is standing on it, are

you all the way back, also is there a pile of lint around the rim of the heel?

What size boot, what size feet?

Big Calves need less forward lean!

Many folks with large calves will move up 2 sizes in thier ski boots trying to solve this issue, the result is a

really sloppy fit and less control with toes and Met heads that are crammed up front and screaming no

matter what you do.

MIke

Last edited:
TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No foot print pretty good on footbed and no lint on heel. And I'm well aware of the perils of going too big in a boot. Which is why my ski boots with a pro made superfeet half cork are a 27.5 and my snowboard boots a 28.0 while I'm looking at a pair of casual sneakers at US 12.

Where is this heading - virtual diagnosis of my back seatism or a comment on the merits or demerits of various wide fitting boots that will be able to enable me to get in a boot that is sized right for length?

And I've got probably 350+ days on my Vectors over 3 lots of liners. I'll be happy to go a like for like replacement if the last is still the same and they are a 18/19 model.

Last edited:

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Quote "Where is this heading - virtual diagnosis of my back seatism or a comment on the merits or demerits of various wide fitting boots that will be able to enable me to get in a boot that is sized right for length?"

Where is this going?---As stated, Large calves will cause your feet (and liner) to be pushed forward up into the pointy end of the ski boot, OUCH!

We often make ski boots more upright to accommodate large calf muscles, of course (it would follow) anyone who does this would need to know how much to change the forward lean dependent on the size of the calf involved.

Read the article just below the pics on this page from our web site: http://southernski.com/toe-jam-spreader-ultimate-cuff-stretcher.html

Instead of shoe size, how long are your feet in MM?

mIke

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Neat but you're not really answering my original question here . It seems we're into rather more of an advertorial on your pet subject.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
OK boot gurus

Coming off some original generation Head Vectors (which had plenty of work around the 6th toe). Gonna need new boots before next season.

How does the Hawx Magna compare for a foot that is very wide at the 6th toe? Are newer Vectors still the same fit?

Will seek a bootfitter but wanted an idea what I need to make sure is in stock b4 I take a trip.

Thx

FWIW, the Hawx Magna is one of, if not the highest volume boots on the ski wall. It has huuuuge instep room and is great for the proverbial hobbit foot customer. t's great that someone makes this type of boot and in a range of flexes. The heel pocket and ankle volume of the vector is very different than the Magna, so much so that the guy that needs a Magna isn't going to be put in a Vector at the fitters. I The newer vector shells are the same fit as the old. The liners have changed a bit over time. If the 6th toe is the only issue in your current boot assuming you have the footbed story sorted out, you're probably already in the right shell that needs a bit more of a punch. Boots more similar in volume to the Vector would be something like a Nordica Speed Machine, but the volume around the heel is pretty different as are the 'feel' of the liners during the fitting process.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Neat but you're not really answering my original question here . It seems we're into rather more of an advertorial on your pet subject.

It's all about those few things you can't buy online.... a hair cut, a straight razor shave, a boot fit.... I shared a couple of generalities of the boots mentioned, but have absolutely no way of knowing without seeing your lower leg and foot in a shell to sell or diagnose anything. I think MRT is saying the same thing. It's not a conspiracy. ogsmile If you don't need or want the services of a boot fitter, then go for it. Most of the skiing public is in the same boat.

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Thanks - that's a bit more what I was looking for. BTW there is nothing wrong with my Vectors but they were punched about as far as they'll go for forefoot width and a bit of hotspot grinding in the ankle.

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider

Advertorial was never my intent, just trying to broaden the view, because we see this all the time.

I do think Mark answered your specific Question better than anything I said, Sorry about that.

Mike

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I said in my OP I'll be going to a bootfitter but given its been 7 or so yers since I got the Vectors I thought it worth getting up to speed on what is out there in the wide last performance non race boot.

If every thread in here is going to end see a bootfitter and try to diagnose problems that haven't even been complained about remotely then its utility as a section is pretty limited no?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Being that your footbed is fairly old, I'd certainly want to see if it was still a valid fit. If so, great! If not, time for a new one as feet certainly do change over time. If you're still in the orginal liners, they're most likely past shot after 7 seasons which will exasterbate hot spot pain. You also might want to look at will become the high volume line of the Mach series Tecnicas if the mid volumes don't work. Haven't had one on my foot yet so that's pretty much a shot in the dark. About that 6th toe, you'd also be amazed about how much plastic can be moved, but it stll has to be moved correctly.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I said in my OP I'll be going to a bootfitter but given its been 7 or so yers since I got the Vectors I thought it worth getting up to speed on what is out there in the wide last performance non race boot.

If every thread in here is going to end see a bootfitter and try to diagnose problems that haven't even been complained about remotely then its utility as a section is pretty limited no?

Sometimes the cause of pain in one area of the boot is caused by 'painless' problems in another as mike alluded to ... kind of like turns. Bad stuff at the bottom is usually caused by bad stuff at the top. ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm pretty confident that the guy I'll see knows the max he can move various bits of plastic. And what I do remember from the Vector fitting was he said it was pretty much on the limit before we'd start getting gape at the front of the boot. But appreciate the insight on models to talk to him about before I take the trip.

To be honest timing is probably the main issue around change of foot shape. I'm due an knee arthroscopy and based on past surgeries found that swelling can be a bit variable for a while post op.

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just a quick bump as I got to do an at home measure - right foot is the biggest so the relevant measures. Unsupported eyeballing on a tape - Length 280mm Width at widest point (ball of foot to notch below little toe) 117mm. Foot flares out for 6th toe beyond that but laterally getting into the instep space.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A large calf muscle will push the tibia/knee forward more so than a slimmer one.

The tibia will be inclined more forward there fore the knee will be pushed to far forward over the boot sole.

This will cause YOU to move rearward by moving your hips back.

Since your femur is usually 17% longer than your Tibia this locates your butt behind your heels, (back seat)

you then lean forward at the waist trying to get out of the back seat---does this sound familiar?

The result of all this moving around, will push your calf against the back of the boot cuff, AND push your

foot forward up into the narrower

end of the boot shell (ouch). This will never stop happening, regardless of the brand/model you might

purchase.

Pull the footbed out of your liner and see if you can see an imprint of where your foot is standing on it, are

you all the way back, also is there a pile of lint around the rim of the heel?

What size boot, what size feet?

Big Calves need less forward lean!

Many folks with large calves will move up 2 sizes in thier ski boots trying to solve this issue, the result is a

really sloppy fit and less control with toes and Met heads that are crammed up front and screaming no

matter what you do.

MIke

I’m not the OP but appreciate the info you posted and just bought the Atomic Hawx Magna in 26.5. I have bigger calves and my feet measure.
L-27.2 and 105mm
R-27.4 and 112mm

I had footbeds made and the punches done.

Sponsor

Staff online