• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Base edge maintenance?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello folks!

So after a day of skiing, I like to maintain the side edge by running a 400grit diamond stone a few times. But was wondering if there was any need to maintain the base edge? I normally run an Arkansas stone on the base edge after deburring the side edge with 200/400/600 grit diamond stones but worry about over beveling the base.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I run a fine ceramic stone down the base edge, held perfectly aligned
(flat) to the base edge angle. If it catches on a burr I then gingerly work it in the same manner with the finest diamond stone that will do the job.
If you have a fine Arkansas stone I would think that would be ok too.

TS
SpeedyKevin

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty much only for burrs from skiing or filing. Arkansas on base is good for hanging burrs if you file the side edge.
I occasionally maintain the side edges with 200/400/600 stones instead of 400, would the 200 stone case any hanging burrs?

James

Out There
Instructor
I occasionally maintain the side edges with 200/400/600 stones instead of 400, would the 200 stone case any hanging burrs?
It’s doubtful they’re really sharp just using stones “occasionally”, but that’s another matter. Diamond stones and abrasive stones by hand don’t generally leave burrs. I’d say never but who knows.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I pretty much feel the base with my fingers. If I feel a anomaly, I just take a stroke or two with a fine stone. You also don’t need to do the whole edge if you just got a bad spot. Angle really isn’t important but you want to be close to flat. As a general rule it’s rare to need to touch up base.

Sponsor

Staff online