• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Icelantic

20220218_175244.jpg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In regards to how many times you can grind-a lot if the machine operator knows what they are doing. The big problem with grinds is that there are “base grinds” and “stone grinds” and they often don’t mean the same thing. A base grind could just mean a kid taking the ski free hand without auto feeder on a sandpaper belt taking who knows how much material off in order to take out scratches or marks.

An auto feeding system puts more uniform pressure over the ski passing over the belt and will remove far less material per pass. Often sandpaper belts used to flatten the base quicker and then a stone used to fine finish the base and then finally add structures like shown above. There are places that do base grinds with only belts and the finish would be rough and without structure.

Recommended shop in the Winter Park area that has an auto feeding system/stone grind? We'll be in CO next week and would love to have them done properly.

The rocky winter in NM has resulted in the need for a full tune on all our skis. I do basic wax and side edges but never touch the bases. we have some dings and core scrapes that need attention.

I have no expertise in this area, but I absolutely can vouch for the fact that a good spring structure makes a HUGE difference. I recall one warm spring in Taos where everyone was struggling in the goo. New structure thanks to the Boot Doctors at the time made all the difference in the world. Night and day.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Recommended shop in the Winter Park area that has an auto feeding system/stone grind? We'll be in CO next week and would love to have them done properly.

The rocky winter in NM has resulted in the need for a full tune on all our skis. I do basic wax and side edges but never touch the bases. we have some dings and core scrapes that need attention.

I have no expertise in this area, but I absolutely can vouch for the fact that a good spring structure makes a HUGE difference. I recall one warm spring in Taos where everyone was struggling in the goo. New structure thanks to the Boot Doctors at the time made all the difference in the world. Night and day.
Don’t live in the area but did a quick google and these places could help you out I’m sure-Christy Sports which have a few locations in that area 970-726-8873, Epic Mountain Sports 970-726-2868 and Alpine Sun Ski Shop 970-726-5107.
All have ptex repairs/stone grind/edge tune and wax packages to get you running smoothly again.

Spring structures are deeper and coarser which is great for warmer, wet snow but not great when things are colder and less moist. Most places will usually put on a factory like “Universal structure” which will work well across most conditions unless you specify something different. Talk to the tech about the conditions you usually ski in and they could advise you on a suitable structure for your use.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Sponsor

Staff online