• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best for NE groomer and NE chop

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi all,

Looking for reccomendatons for an intermediate ski (read green and blue runs with occasional diamond working on form and basic skills for the typical conditions found in NE) that is easy to handle and works well on clean groomers for learning to carve and when the hill is chopped out with piles of random snow.

I'm looking at BC Vertis and Captis to give you and idea of what types I'm thinking of.

Thanks
~GA

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pick a ski. Any ski will do. Your profile says Vermont, so I'd pick the Divus and based on the SkiEssentials review it looks like it's a "narrow wide ski" with some decent tip rise. Ski it all season in every condition. Hop in on some lessons with it. I've been known to insert myself into "intermediate" (read: 5th day beginner) group lessons just for the lulz. Take whatever feedback you can get.
Going to quote this post from your other thread. Based on everything you’ve said here you’re not looking for a new ski you’re looking for more mileage. Keep them sharp and waxed. Ski a lot.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
First make sure you have a correct fitting boot, next find a ski.
Look at the Head V8 ski, it is good for you now and will allow you to grow into a better skier. The ski will give you years of great service and as always keep them sharp and waxed.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Hi all,

Looking for reccomendatons for an intermediate ski (read green and blue runs with occasional diamond working on form and basic skills for the typical conditions found in NE) that is easy to handle and works well on clean groomers for learning to carve and when the hill is chopped out with piles of random snow.

I'm looking at BC Vertis and Captis to give you and idea of what types I'm thinking of.

Thanks
~GA
Based on what you are looking for, I would look for a ski in the 72-85mm waste range, fairly short radius turn shape. I've never skied the BC's, but the Vertis would be a better choice than the Captis, just based on the specs of the ski.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
I've become a total Shaggy's fan after trying more than my Ahmeek 105s. The Fun Carver and Brockway have hold power with very friendly front ends if one doesn't think a modern twin tip is right. Their camber pockets idea really works. The Thompson family members are great about getting what is right for you.

In a whole lot of shopping carried out for a while I concluded there's just lots of great stuff out there. I kept my 84 wide more traditional (less rocker, boot position) to complement a modern twin tip and suggest that strategy but I use the twin tips far more than I expected.

Have fun shopping.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should check out a Nordica Navigator. Accessible, versatile and from friends input durable. You can grow with this ski or one of a similar ilk.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Out Of The Box: Black Pearl 82 (cuz I think the Brahma may be a bit much at this point in your progression).

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all,

Thanks
~GA
The Captis is fun and easy to ski, but might toss you around in chop. It's not the best for learning to carve, either, as it's a twin tip with a more progressive mount.
I'd look for something with some metal in it to dampen the ride, and a more traditional shape.
The V8 suggested above sounds good. Or something of that character.
Is this a first ski purchase, or are you replacing an existing ski? If so, what are you skiing on now?

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Captis is fun and easy to ski, but might toss you around in chop. It's not the best for learning to carve, either, as it's a twin tip with a more progressive mount.
I'd look for something with some metal in it to dampen the ride, and a more traditional shape.
The V8 suggested above sounds good. Or something of that character.
Is this a first ski purchase, or are you replacing an existing ski? If so, what are you skiing on now?
Skiing on Divus after getting some reccomendatons. It's a good ski and very stable, and no plans to get rid of them, and I'm glad I got them. But I do want to step back a bit and work on technical form and remove anything that might add "noise" to the process. The Divus take more effort to turn and manage than my previous owned Armada 82 Ti so the thinking is get a ski meant for intermediate progression.

You don't think the Vertis are any good for this?

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
OP could do a Black Pearl 78 as well, but skiing in VT and perhaps dealing with more chop, the 82 splits it down the middle nicely, IMO.
Aren't black pearl for women?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing on Divus after getting some reccomendatons. It's a good ski and very stable, and no plans to get rid of them, and I'm glad I got them. But I do want to step back a bit and work on technical form and remove anything that might add "noise" to the process. The Divus take more effort to turn and manage than my previous owned Armada 82 Ti so the thinking is get a ski meant for intermediate progression.

You don't think the Vertis are any good for this?
If you really want to work on technique in New England conditions I'd go with a real hard snow ski. As far as I'm aware Black Crows doesn't make one of these. I'd let go of the attachment to that brand.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aren't black pearl for women?
BP's are such versatile skis and now come in so many variations... Girl/Boy/They/Them... all good... I would GLADLY try and own a pair based on reading the overwhelming positive reviews and watching Wifey and so many others including top level instructors Rock them hard..... I'm Adv Intermed (IMHO??? :huh: my close ski buds might argue that... but that's how I see it :beercheer:) and 215 lbs generally ski 180 - 186. There's a REAL reason they have been the #1 selling ski on the market w/o competition for so many years in a row.

With the BP's, I'd rec drift towards a wider 88 and up option underfoot to manage the additional weight and off piste factors.

Last edited:
TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
BP's are such versatile skis and now come in so many variations... Girl/Boy/They/Them... all good... I would GLADLY try and own a pair based on reading the overwhelming positive reviews and watching Wifey and so many others including top level instructors Rock them hard..... I'm Adv Intermed (IMHO??? :huh: my close ski buds might argue that... but that's how I see it :beercheer:) and 215 lbs generally ski 180 - 186. There's a REAL reason they have been the #1 selling ski on the market w/o competition for so many years in a row.

With the BP's, I'd rec drift towards a wider 88 and up option underfoot to manage the additional weight and off piste factors.
They seem to only go up to 177 which too short for me.. Otherwise they seem pretty cool.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you really want to work on technique in New England conditions I'd go with a real hard snow ski. As far as I'm aware Black Crows doesn't make one of these. I'd let go of the attachment to that brand.
Vertis seems to fit the bill, are they too light? too much flex? I'm fine with another brand, but was wondering why those aren't a viable option.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any knowledge on the Blizzard Rustler 9 series?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m with @Tony S here. It’s N.E. So your mostly on hard snow groomers although you can and will occasionally hit 6-8!inches of fresh and boilerplate on the same day. ( and remember, The best skis in the world won’t elevate your skiing if the boots aren’t right or can’t support your aspirations. I know you know that but I can’t get off that soapbox ) I’d suggest you be more detailed and specific on your goals and someone here will help you narrow down the options. There’s 1000’s of combined years of skiing expertise here and people willing to help.

Sponsor

Staff online