• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best rope tow mittens for a small woman

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Cheers—I’m looking for a small size leather mitten for my daughter who trains on a rope tow every night. Need a durable leather mitten for cooold nights. She hates the Kincos since they have finger slots inside. Wells Lamont doesn’t seem to make small sizes. Tried the mitt covers with limited success.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In this category you have to kinda go w/ what you can get. I use Westchester Heavy duty leather mittens, or my Carhartt heavy duty insulated work gloves, wife uses Women's Carhartt work gloves w/ liner. Our local rope tow is attached to a tractor w/ only one speed and you can burn through and literally "smoke" a pair of gloves in one run. Sometimes I wrap the fingers w/ a healthy amount of duct tape. That seems to work for at least a day but can be incredibly uncomfortable.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hestra uses a numbered sizing system that offers more selection than S,M, L, XL. on many of their mittens and gloves. They use goat leather on many of their products because it is tougher and more durable than cow leather. Goat leather does not take dye all that well, so the off white mitts are an indicator that it is goat leather.

Hestra gloves and mitts are like Dyson vacuums: overpriced but worth it.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
You could get her a harness and one of these:
nutcracker.jpg

Used like this:

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
The below is caveated by my complete lack of knowledge of North American rope tows. My comments are based on New Zealand rope tows, like the one in the video above.

What about flylow oven mitts? They are recommended as rope tow worthy by the local ski shop here that is the gateway to many of the club fields that have rope tows. They don't seem to have finger slots on the inside.

I have Hestra's but don't use the, without a glove protector, or at all on rope tows. And, the hestra have finger slots in the liner.

Getting a nutcracker and harness does not avoid glove wear and damage, the video above is perhaps a bit deceptive in that regard. Our rope tows are long 400m to nearly 1500 metres (440 yards to almost a mile) and have pulleys (metal wheels that the rope goes over, under or between) that you need to navigate. Well fitted harnesses and nutcrackers transfer the drag load from your arms and shoulders to your hips and allow you to traverse pulleys without having to let go and regrab the rope. You need them to make it up most rope tows.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We used pigskin glove covers for rope tow resorts eons ago.

I see Kombi still sell them, but only size large available. Pretty sure I used these when I was a tiny 6th grader. Might need to tailor them a little cinching up the elastic part.. Or maybe the shop at the resort has size small.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, pigskin or deerskin for rope tows.

Reactions: ejj

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I would recommend looking at Free the Powder Gloves. I have a pair of the RX3 Mitts and the leather is significantly burlier than my Hestra Heli Mitts. I actually prefer the dexterity of my Hestra's but the FTP's feel like they are going to hold up longer. Just need to break them in some more.

The removable liner does not have separate fingers.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Thanks for the many good suggestions--most options are sold out or not available in small sizes.

I bought her the Flylow Toaster Mitt XS.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thanks for the many good suggestions--most options are sold out or not available in small sizes.

I bought her the Flylow Toaster Mitt XS.
Is it a beginner hill rope tow or a faster one like the race team area uses?

If it's just a slow running beginner rope tow, she'll be fine with just plain old good quality thick leather gloves

If it's the latter then nothing will last more than a day other than using the pigskin or deer hide covers. The best place to buy those dedicated glove/mitten protectors is AT the resorts that have rope tows in the resort shop there.

Reactions: ejj

James

Out There
Instructor
I wouldn’t get any Hestra mitt or glove for a rope tow other than their cheap Job ones. It’s just silly.
I’ve seen a two pack of the job ones for $40, though which exact ones I don’t know.

There’s Black Diamond Dirt bag model. Available in xs. It’s goat skin. $45 available in tan.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Is it a beginner hill rope tow or a faster one like the race team area uses?

If it's just a slow running beginner rope tow, she'll be fine with just plain old good quality thick leather gloves

If it's the latter then nothing will last more than a day other than using the pigskin or deer hide covers. The best place to buy those dedicated glove/mitten protectors is AT the resorts that have rope tows in the resort shop there.

Its on the race hill. We tried the mitten protectors but they are not great with her small hands and LEKI strap harnesses.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Its on the race hill. We tried the mitten protectors but they are not great with her small hands and LEKI strap harnesses.
What are the other team kids doing?

James

Out There
Instructor
One could always get a shoemaker to glue or sew kevlar material on .
Ironclad makes a Tundra glove with reinforced palm. No mitts though.

These are interesting. Cut and sewn to order to fit, in Bend, OR. $35. Maybe tbey could add something for rope tows.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
One could always get a shoemaker to glue or sew kevlar material on .
Ironclad makes a Tundra glove with reinforced palm. No mitts though.

These are interesting. Cut and sewn to order to fit, in Bend, OR. $35. Maybe tbey could add something for rope tows.

Thanks! Those Sullivans look great.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
What are the other team kids doing?

It's a mix--Kincos, Wells Lamont, Black Diamond, Flylow--all the basic lined chopper mittens. We found an XS Flylow version that will work for now.

I'm thinking Free The Powder for next year.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
@ejj Cool company! I didn't even know that Flylow existed ( flylowgear.com ). I didn't see the Toaster on their current line up but the Oven seems great:

1612888499027.png

Phenomenally low prices! I will definitely consider them when my current batch of mittens wear out and will likely recommend my students to investigate them.

Thanks for posting!

P.S. Also impressed with the looks, description and reviews of the Flylow Lab Coat:

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
That FlyLow ‘Ridge’ glove is made of pigskin, so maybe it’s tougher?
I’ve only used deerskin, (those kids mittens posted above), for summer work gloves . It’s quite soft, I don’t know about it’s toughness against a moving rope. I guess it’s winter advantage is drying with resisting cracks.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@crgildart , I am curious as to why you say it’s best to buy glove protectors at the hill?
It’s not not boot fitting right? You don’t need specific advice, you just buy them and walk out. So why would one place be better than another?

I used to work at a ski shop, and we sold them, (pretty much every hill in MN has a rope tow on the terrain park), seemed to be about the least fussy piece of gear for skiing/boarding we sold.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I grew up on a hill with two rope tows. We cleared the slopes and built the tows.
A rope tow will destroy any fancy glove. Pigskin, soft leathers are good for a run or two.
Oxhide mittens work best. I can't imagine where to look, but I will say, we reinforced a lot of mittens by filling the grip area with a few rows of heavy duty staples.

Sponsor

Staff online