• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best skis for Ice, Icy Conditions and Very hard packed snow

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For firm conditions, not true ice, I have a pair of Rossi Hero Elite LT in 183 cm tuned to 1/3. Turn radius is 20 m, which feels right to me at 6'6", 220 lb. Very stable and I feel like I'm on rails. I love these skis because they force me to use good (better) technique to avoid being punished. Ironically, I broke my ankle skiing these a few years back when I was tired, which led me to throw out my ski app. Chasing too much vertical, runs, and mph. I know I'm skiing consistently faster now then back then, but I have no idea how quantitatively. I know this by how much and how long I have to wait at the lift for friends and family to catch up. I force myself to slowdown by letting others in the group go first.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
It has been my experience that to achieve good grip on truly icy on-piste terrain requires a ski of less than 70mm width and a 0.5/3 tune, typically one designed for racing or derived from such heritage, whether an SL or GS side-cut or something in between like a Head e.Race or Stockli WRT ST--most anything else results in feelings of slippage and less control.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Different strokes for different folks.
Pretty much if you weigh 150 lbs or less, then one-step down (and only one) from FIS seems to be the ticket for free skiing on harder snow and on ice, but if you weigh 180 lbs or more, then it's FIS.
If you don't care about forgiveness and versatility, it's traditional full camber. Otherwise, it's tip rocker. Care more it's tip and tail rocker and camber under foot.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I skied a buddy's Blossom #1SL's in 165.
Not sure if I liked them more than my Fischer WC SL SC's but they sure were comparable.
You wouldn't be wrong with either of these choices with a 4/0.5 tune.

TS
J

jpi

Booting up
Skier
OP, you seem to like Völkl's, why not get a Deacon 76 or Kendo. My Kendo's have been fine on ice, but I do my own tuning.

I haven't skied the Deacon 76.

Oh, sorry just reread your first post. Get one of the Racetigers. Have you searched the web for reviews on the skis your thinking of ?
Yes, been researching and searching for a long while but had not looked at pure sl or gs skis because I believed they were potentially too much. I am revisiting my preconception reading the reviews some of the non-FIS SL or GS, like Elan Slx.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Nobody is saying 60-70 peaks while recreational skiiing, is the same as entering a corner at the speed top athleets do for for SG/DH, but thinking everybody here go 40mph max is naive and wrong.

40 max mph? No. Over 40mph with human beings on a slope with restricted space? No too.

:beercheer:

TS
J

jpi

Booting up
Skier
Thanks everyone for your contribution and the side conversation on speed.
Will look into all of your suggestions, will read some more (I have a few months before the next seasons:) ). I am leaning toward SL skis, the Hero ST Ti or Elan SLX seem accessible and have great edge hold, tune 1/3 or 0.5/3. As for my back seat challenged position, the work I've put on my position over the last few year as gotten me much closer to the driver seat, currently kinda leaning between the two front seats if you know what I mean...next season will be driving.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also consider the Head e-Original Supershape. Sold in Canada, Europe, and Asia, not distributed in the U.S. 66 mm waist, 12 m radius, easy to ski well, lots of fun. Very good ice grip. The vaunted EMC energy management circuit is ho-hum at damping chatter--not as good as my Laser AX.
youtube.com/watch?v=R6w6ZWzZBLQ

About the back seat position--some of that is technique, some may be body geometry and equipment set up. Boots may have the shaft angle (how much the cuff leans forward) increased. A wedge-shaped spoiler can be added between the back of the liner and the boot cuff. Bindings with greater delta (height difference between heel & toe) can be bought or an 1/8" (3mm) shim put under the heel binding. These changes can be just wrong for some people and just right for others. I immediately know when a set of bindings on demo skis don't have as much delta as I like--that's my body geometry.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
40 max mph? No. Over 40mph with human beings on a slope with restricted space? No too.

:beercheer:

I'm having a hard time figuring out if your trolling me or not. Maybe you just ski narrower and steeper slopes and areas with way more crowds than me?. I just can't related to what your saying. Here skiiing at whatever snow and wind conditionds gives you of speed, is fairly normal, but most tend to ski from they are small children. And most of the time if you wanna ski slow, you just ski a run with less slope angle, that way people wont pass you fast or catch up fast.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you ever skied with @markojp , you know he is not trolling. BS tends to miraculously dissipate once forum members skied with each other. :ogcool:
I find those obsessed with speed usually should be working on their control instead. 15 mph through trees or bumps is more enjoyable than 50 mph on a groomer, IMO, and requires a higher skill level.

I have no specific recommendations to the OP but I would at least try to demo an FIS slalom before pulling the trigger. The occasional spank for bad technique could be the push you need to get you in the right place on your skis.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I like SL skis cause 35 mph feels like I'm hauling ass. That and my age. :rolleyes:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You want the sharp skis on ice.

I dont usually use an app but without trying to go too fast i hit the mid 40s on wide skis. 70 is fast but many people must hit 60 frequently.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find those obsessed with speed usually should be working on their control instead. 15 mph through trees or bumps is more enjoyable than 50 mph on a groomer, IMO, and requires a higher skill level.
They're both fun! Open slope, sunny day, good grooming, right skis, I'm going to point them down and go-and yes, I'm in control. 15 MPH through the trees or bumps is a different but very enjoyable kind of pleasure.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
They're both fun! Open slope, sunny day, good grooming, right skis, I'm going to point them down and go-and yes, I'm in control. 15 MPH through the trees or bumps is a different but very enjoyable kind of pleasure.
I agree they are both fun but for my limited number of days on snow I want to make as many turns in the most challenging terrain as possible. Groomers become a necessary evil. ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks everyone for your contribution and the side conversation on speed.
Will look into all of your suggestions, will read some more (I have a few months before the next seasons:) ). I am leaning toward SL skis, the Hero ST Ti or Elan SLX seem accessible and have great edge hold, tune 1/3 or 0.5/3. As for my back seat challenged position, the work I've put on my position over the last few year as gotten me much closer to the driver seat, currently kinda leaning between the two front seats if you know what I mean...next season will be driving.
Pick up some short, 110-125cm carving skis. Especially on the 110’s, if you’re back you’ll fall backwards. Cures it fairly quickly. Those skis are fun too.

Sponsor

Staff online