• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best way to prevent edge rust while transporting skis after ski day

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the east they can rust in the garage. No snow needed. Just sayin.
Very true. That’s why it’s not worth worrying about a little discoloring. Deep rust or pitting, yeah that’s a problem, but the stuff that develops in a couple of hours or overnight is cosmetic and will come off with skiing or basic maintenance

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I just ski on them the next day (tools not jewels) and if there is some after I have packed them and gotten back East - red gummy = problem solved.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In the east they can rust in the garage. No snow needed. Just sayin.
That's probably very true. Mine always go inside my condo - warm and dry. And I separate them when I get home so they aren't touching and won't hold any hidden water there.

stevo

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Leave a window cracked open if possible, presuming the car is garaged. Otherwise don’t leave your skis in the car period and like others have said whipr down after the snow melts with a towel, create a way for them to dry out faster or just take them inside

TS
S

SwissSki

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. I think one of the reasons of rust are really the wet straps I have to protect the edges, as someone suggested.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Towel dry, spritz lightly with WD-40, and wipe off the excess.
It lifts water from the metal and inhibits rusting.
(Do NOT use WD-40 on bindings - it's not a lubricant, and it will remove the grease, which is.)
I would be very concerned that the solvent would migrate under the edges and start a delamination.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the rubber boot trays from SAMs. Lay the skies on top with the bindings in the tray. Always dry by the time we get home (40min) and put them in the shed. We keep two in the car, The other is for the boots. When we lived in Ks, wipe them down and use hotel soap on the edges.

1706712558341.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Plus there can be salt in the water/snow. Dry them off thoroughly or expect some corrosion. Don't ride them hard then put them up wet.. just like horses

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Brush for the bindings to remove excess snow, clean and wipe down, do not put straps on them or bag them at all.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a box of chamois cloth towels in the garage that weren’t being used so I tried them for drying my skis at the end of the day. They are very absorbent.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes. But watch out - there's often sand or even on winter roads, which can get on a car brush.
Dedicated ski gear car brush! Just a cheap $4.99 one, since you don't need a fancy one with long handle.
In the parking lot, I once saw a fussy couple struggling clearing their skis by hand since they wanted to keep their brand new tesla with carpet mats clean. It looked so sad, I let them borrow my brush and they had it mostly off in short order. The windshield ice scraper, also works well to scrape snow/ice stuck on ski topsheets, imagine that!

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I used to never think about the light rust on the edges until someone pointed it out at the ski tune shop. That’s because I would always ski it off on icy slopes and edges would be nice clean metal at the end of the day.

Sponsor

Staff online