• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beveling Edges on a Variably Concave Base

Cork7 Belly Flop

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of skis whose bases are flat ~1 cm from the edges, but concave through the middle (moreso at the tips/tails). I want to start adding extra base bevel to the tips/tails but the dip in the middle of the base is screwing up the angle of the guide.

Does anyone here have a workaround they use for their skis? I was thinking of creating a "shim" by putting painter's tape down the middle, then adding some kind of material over it (not sure what yet), then sanding it down with a truebar until it's even with the edges across the whole area to be beveled. Or would it be better to use wax for this purpose (scrape only until wax is gone from edge area)?

TS
C

Cork7 Belly Flop

Booting up
Skier
Grinding them all the way flat will remove way to much material from the base (I had to get them ground for the flatness around the edges).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a pic of the ski base with a true bar across?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Grinding them all the way flat will remove way to much material from the base (I had to get them ground for the flatness around the edges).
Are these brand new skis? If they are that far off, I’d be complaining to the manufacturer.

Any idea how many passes did they already? Fully automated machine or a semi automatic machine?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I have a pair of skis whose bases are flat ~1 cm from the edges, but concave through the middle (moreso at the tips/tails). I want to start adding extra base bevel to the tips/tails but the dip in the middle of the base is screwing up the angle of the guide.

Does anyone here have a workaround they use for their skis? I was thinking of creating a "shim" by putting painter's tape down the middle, then adding some kind of material over it (not sure what yet), then sanding it down with a truebar until it's even with the edges across the whole area to be beveled. Or would it be better to use wax for this purpose (scrape only until wax is gone from edge area)?
I would not worry too much about it. Just do the bevel work.
Some guides cover more of the base than others.

Sponsor