• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big SNOW America Coming to American Dream, New Jersey

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen-Shot-2016-04-07-at-8.40.50-PM.png

New Jersey, April 25, 2016 – World-class developers Triple Five and resort operating group SNOW Operating are proud to announce North America’s first 365 day a year indoor ski and snowboard park, “Big SNOW America,” at American Dream New Jersey.

Standing 12-stories tall and spanning more than 180,000 square-feet, Big SNOW America will offer year-round skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing, alongside indoor snow play and event space. A collection of ski and snowboard retail stores dubbed “The Shops @ Big SNOW” will surround the snow park. Offering customers the latest in equipment, accessories and fashion outerwear, the unique assortment of shops will provide a shopping experience unlike anything else.

“American Dream is the biggest and most exciting opportunity in the snow business and we are really proud to be part of it. Big SNOW America will redefine what is possible in terms of the skiing and snowboarding guest experience. It is a dream come true to have the SNOW Operating team manage Big SNOW America. I have no doubt that American Dream will instantly become an iconic destination for the NY Metropolitan area and beyond,” Joe Hession, CEO of SNOW Operating.

Guests at Big SNOW America will experience what life at a big mountain resort is like, complete with equipment rentals, lessons, ski chalet, shopping village and après ski lounge. Big SNOW America will offer guest experience packages for all ability levels, taking advantage of SNOW Operating’s award-winning Terrain Based Learning™ methods and utilizing the most cutting-edge ski and snowboard technologies and equipment.

“We are thrilled to team up with the best in the business. If you are a ski or snowboard enthusiast you have been to one of SNOW’s partner mountains such as Killington, Aspen or Whistler. Whether learning to ski or snowboard, testing out the latest equipment, or just having fun – Big SNOW America will deliver an experience like no other. Big SNOW America together with our indoor DreamWorks waterpark, theme park and other first class attractions is what will make American Dream a true destination for locals and tourists alike,” Don Ghermezian, President Triple Five.

For further information please contact

American Dream

Debbie Patire

Senior Vice President Marketing

American Dream

Phone: (201) 340-2919

Email: [email protected]

SNOW Operating

Hugh Reynolds

VP of Marketing

Phone: 201-923-1608

Email: [email protected]

About American Dream
American Dream, a world-class destination, is being developed by Triple Five Group of Companies, owners of the two largest shopping and entertainment centers in North America – Mall of America and West Edmonton Mall.

American Dream, is approximately 3 million square feet. American Dream will redefine the customer experience in shopping and leisure with a unique combination of retail, dining, entertainment and attractions – all in one location. Anchor retail tenants Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor — along with over 450 retail, food and specialty shops — are complimented by North America’s largest fully-enclosed indoor DreamWorks Water Park, Amusement Park and the 12-story Big Snow America Indoor Ski & Snow park; a 1,500 seat live Performing Arts Theater; 285-foot tall Observation Wheel; luxury movie theatres by Cinemex; Sea Life Aquarium & Lego Discovery Center; NHL-size Ice Rink; and an18-hole miniature golf course. The center also features The Collections, a 460,000 square foot separate and distinct shopping environment, featuring Hermes and other luxury brands from around the globe. The Dining Terrace showcases an assortment of fifteen full-service restaurants, in a park like setting, where the culinary options will please even the most discriminating palate.

American Dream is located in New Jersey at the Meadowlands Sports Complex at the intersection of three major highways – I-95, Route 3, Route 120 – that service over 100 Million vehicles annually. American Dream is in the heart of the New York Metropolitan area with over 21 million residents and 58 million domestic and international tourists annually. The project is serviced by three of the largest airports in the US – Newark, LaGuardia and JFK International with 117 million travelers annually and is connected by rail service in and out of Penn Station New York.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Note to self.. Bypass that part of I-95 when we go to Boston to visit my sister at Christmas time.. Wait, what am I worried about? We've been told this thing is really going to happen the past three times we drove by it and it was empty every time. I won't believe it is actually opening until I see it actually open.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have friends who lived in the middle east for a long time. They rave about the skiing/boarding in Lebanon. But they also learned to snowboard at a facility similar to this in Dubai. They said it was crazy going from 115f desert, to 60f a/c to something like 22f inside the facility. But they said it was a great place to do beginner lessons. If I were around one, I'd probably do it just for kicks. If something like this existed in the bay area, I'd probably go a few times/summer just for kicks. I mean why not?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The return of Xanadu! A colleague of mine was offered a job there back in 2003 I think. If they ever open I will check it out. not much over an hour's drive (sans traffic) from where I live.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. I mean why not?

Speaking as someone with a Ski Dubai polo, because it's to skiing what parasailing is to skydiving?

The return of Xanadu!

Staying with Kubla Khan then:

STColeridge said:
The shadow of the dome of pleasure
floated midway on the waves;
Where was heard the mingled measure
from the fountain and the caves.
It was a miracle of rare device -
A sunny pleasure dome with caves of ice!

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Speaking as someone with a Ski Dubai polo, because it's to skiing what parasailing is to skydiving?
LOL. As someone who has never parasailed or skydived, I'm not sure what that means! Maybe just focusing on the fact that, for any of us, such a slope is a ridiculously short ride?

Your point is well taken. But every summer there is a point where I start jonesing for sliding on snow. After a good season, like this one, I am content for a few months. Then i go into serious withdrawal. And eventually acceptance . . . until the flakes start to fly again in October (hopefully). Seems to me that this could scratch that itch. At least a little. But with no reference point, I might be kidding myself!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
They are fine as training facilities ( and great for park rats and SL kiddies) but I'd suspect given history it'll never actually happen for you.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Yup, this was on the table back when I lived in NYC (I moved in 2011). Let me tell you, I would have LOVED to hop on a bus and make crappy, crappy turns after work. I spent so much time driving to VT when I lived back east that any local turns, no matter how bad, would have been wonderful.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I want to ski an indoor ski area with advanced terrain. Make some fake steeps inside a building and spray powder on them every night, I and many others would be there. I know these places have to cater to the masses but man that would be cool.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I could see doing a four hour session in mid July. We currently make it s point to go.ice skating and play some hockey every other week or so april through October. That's usually a good winter fix. What would be really neat to be able to do at an over priced indoor ski hill is try out the off season gear scores and fine tune the quiver.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I want to ski an indoor ski area with advanced terrain. Make some fake steeps inside a building and spray powder on them every night, I and many others would be there. I know these places have to cater to the masses but man that would be cool.
I've seen some with seeded bumps and air features. Like 6 turns, jump, three more turns and done.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will the snow be deep enough to set slalom gates? Seems like the snooze factor would set in pretty quickly once the initial novelty wears off (2-3 runs). Oh well, if the "apre`s ski" lounge is good who cares?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
For sure they run FIS Sls in the one in Nl.

It's definitely a mindset thing- people go patch skiing or keep up streaks so it's no more unusual than that. I find them very useful for testing skis - you can learn a lot about any ski in a tight space with conditions between ice and unconsolidated sugar. Also just general off season tune ups and learning telephone etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
Guests at Big SNOW America will experience what life at a big mountain resort is like, complete with equipment rentals, lessons, ski chalet, shopping village and après ski lounge. Big SNOW America will offer guest experience packages for all ability levels, taking advantage of SNOW Operating’s award-winning Terrain Based Learning™ methods and utilizing the most cutting-edge ski and snowboard technologies and eq
This is off to a very bad start.
"American Dream"? ?
Everyone gets a Flexible Flyer walking in the door? Worse than "Freedom Tower" for the new WTC which thankfully and sensibly was dropped.
Big Mountain resort like? What, everyone gets a VR headset to make it look like Jackson Hole?
Where do these people come from who make this crap up? Totally clueless.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is off to a very bad start.
"American Dream"? ?
Everyone gets a Flexible Flyer walking in the door? Worse than "Freedom Tower" for the new WTC which thankfully and sensibly was dropped.
Big Mountain resort like? What, everyone gets a VR headset to make it look like Jackson Hole?
Where do these people come from who make this crap up? Totally clueless.
Hey, at least there is a "ski chalet" and "shopping village". Really, what more do you need?

[we need a sarcasm font]

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
^ ^ - Telemark not telphone stoopid android.

Think you are missing the point on the twee. It's not for people who can spot authentic it's to give never evers and gapers and who knows what Chinese bus tours, a taste of an ersatz alpine lifestyle. If they've got any sense they'll hook up some sponsorship/reciprocal deal with a real resort and give it a big mountain wrap - really does neutralise the claustrophobia of skiing in a shed

http://blog.themountaindepartment.com/review-snow-centre-hemel-hempstead/

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes, a taste of an ersatz alpine lifestyle to noobs gapers punters and tourons who don't a) have a cultural referent for it, if they did they'd spot its fakeness b) will be linked to a resort where the same design elements are just as fake c) probably won't go to the linked resort anyway since they're on a bus trip from China or complicit in the generally decaying US ski interest.

TBH, I think I nailed it. Twee is just as useful to Xanadu as cowbell was to Blue Oyster Cult - make work for the designers / music producers. The poor dears would feel useless otherwise.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Early prediction that the demographics will be 80% snowboarders under age 18 to 20% skiers and boarders of all ages. Think about what kind of crowds you see hanging out at the mall on a weekend or weeknight. This will be that. Weekday mornings will be reasonable, like walking the mall is on weekday mornings.

Mid year prediction is it will be the first mall to ban or curfew snowboarders. Otherwise it will be like the bowling alley or skating rink on a Saturday night.. full of teens and middle school kids, total mob scenes.

Sponsor