• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding adjustment for new boots necessary?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
My new boots are the “same” model as the one it’s replacing. Boot fitter said it should work in my current binding.

I know the sole length is supposed to be the same. So it should fit into the binding ok. But what about forward pressure? Does that need to be readjusted?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The forward pressure adjustment should be fine if the BSL is EXACTLY the same, That said the fine turning of the forward pressure should be checked to see if it is still within the allowable range.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You should always do the visual checks of the binding and do adjustments actually like every season; and/or every time you have an unexpected release.
This just takes some education on where to look on your bindings to find the indicators and a PZ3 screwdriver. You can look this stuff on the internet or search.

What you don't necessarily need to do is pay a shop $25 or so for a shop to do "binding adjustment and function testing". Where assuming you have the knowledge; your money is really going to the "Testing" part. Paying for a shop to do this service, should mean they use a machine or manual tool test that really confirms the values, and you either get a receipt or paper with the "Pass" on the tests, or you are there and see them put it in the machine and you see it on the screen come up with all Pass.

If they aren't really doing a Test, any good shop that values customer service/loyalty with the knowledge usually just help you turn the screws a bit just for free, tips, or as good will (but with no guarentees or liability indemnity of the work)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I am fitting new boots I will usually ask the customer "do you have your ski with you so we can check the bindings?"

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Indeed, new boots or not, every season you should do a binding test. Boots wear, bindings get dirty or rusty,.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I am fitting new boots I will usually ask the customer "do you have your ski with you so we can check the bindings?"

Absolutely. Maybe I’m paranoid but I definitely would get my bindings checked with new boots and just did that. Even with the same boots I get my bindings checked at the start of every season. My local shop will do a check for almost nothing. I’m not trading saving $30 for an ACL or a spiral fracture.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My new boots are the “same” model as the one it’s replacing. Boot fitter said it should work in my current binding.

I know the sole length is supposed to be the same. So it should fit into the binding ok. But what about forward pressure? Does that need to be readjusted?

Just because it says the same BSL number on the bot, doesn't really mean it is. :)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just because it says the same BSL number on the bot, doesn't really mean it is. :)

For sure, I just setup my friend with my skis that had system bindings. For my boots, the binding marking matching my BSL. For friends boots had to set binding to 4mm less than his stamped BSL for the fwd pressure indicator to also be flush.
Told him it looks adjusted to me, but it's up to him if he wants to pay a shop to perform test. (Or said he can just try it once, and if it feels weird or prereleases, drop it off at shop to readjust and test)
His real problem though is he just needs to find the time to actually go skiing.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
As it turns out, there’s some play at the toe. A few turn of a screwdriver eliminated that.

Sponsor

Staff online