• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding Issue?... Unplanned Heel Release/Dismount

Slash01z

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I figured ill give this a shot here... Ill try to keep it short got back in to skiing last winter. I went with a pair of Nordica navigator 80 and was sold on a pair of Tyrolia SLR 10 "adjustable" bindings. While I was a bit hesitant going the adjustable route i did it for the reason of A resale incase after a season i wanted to go a different direction on skis and B the ability to move around the ski a bit and find the right standing point without having to re-drill. After 2 seasons now I have been thrilled with both the skis and bindings.

Im sure their are opinions on this also but just for reference i like to mark my skis L/R and always keep them on the same foot. I like to go off jumps no tricks or anything but not afraid to hit 40ft kickers. Half way thru this season I landed a jump and right at landing my right boot came out of my binding and i went down pretty hard. I would say this happened another 3-4 more times however i also had it happen on just a small side hit of a rail jump. It has never happened anywhere else on the hill and i ski pretty aggressive. In reality it probably happened once every 200 jumps but that's enough to have it in your head every jump. I did try and analyze it every time it happened and to my best knowledge it seems as if when i land my heel would slide sideways out of the binding normally to the inside. Most the times i would say my weight on the landing was more towards the tail of the ski but nothing crazy. It was always the right ski which may mean that binding or just because I favor that side a bit more on landing not sure. Every time my binding was still in the locked or down position if that helps at all. Took it to my 2 local shops described it to them and both said DIN and forward pressure looked exactly as it should. We did turn up the din by 1 point but i had it happen once still after that. From all the research i have done my guess would be my ski is flexing to the point where it allows the heel to slip out which seems logical but that is a ton of flex when I try to recreate it off my foot.. I am considering ditching the bindings and moving to the attack 13 or 14 bindings to try and resolve it but wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with a similar issue...

Any thoughts on this or help is greatly appreciated!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It is not a heel binding release if the heel binding cup remains in the down position. This sounds like a backward-leaning twisting toe binding release.

When you say you increased the release setting and it still happens: Did you increase the release setting of the heel, the toe, or both?

TS
S

Slash01z

Skier
It is not a heel binding release if the heel binding cup remains in the down position. This sounds like a backward-leaning twisting toe binding release.

When you say you increased the release setting and it still happens: Did you increase the release setting of the heel, the toe, or both?
both heel and toe...

Yes sorry i know its not technically releasing.. this is why i only went up 1 on the DIN because i didn't want to crank it up and loose the proper true release function

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What is your DIN set at, and what does the Chart say for you at level 3?
It is conceivable that you are bending the ski so much when you land that the straight line distance between toe piece and heel piece is too short for your boot and it is being squirted out sideways.
Also concievable that you have some sideways force on landing, and only the toe allows sideways release due to the down-force on the heel piece (it would release diagonally if you were being pulled forward).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How old are your boots? Are the toe and heel lugs ground down/rounded badly?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Check the manual to see if you can slide off the toe piece to inspect the pawl (or whatever mechanism keeps in in place). Parts get worn out.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Always have your bindings checked by a certified technician. Parts wear out, springs get weak and plastic degrades. Others have also mentioned upgrading your binding to better suit your needs.

TS
S

Slash01z

Skier
What is your DIN set at, and what does the Chart say for you at level 3?
It is conceivable that you are bending the ski so much when you land that the straight line distance between toe piece and heel piece is too short for your boot and it is being squirted out sideways.
Also concievable that you have some sideways force on landing, and only the toe allows sideways release due to the down-force on the heel piece (it would release diagonally if you were being pulled forward).
Din i'm 170 just under 6' with a 325 sole so I've set at 7 but as mentioned went up to an 8 when trying things...
I do believe the ski flex may be a strong possibility as well as your second comment about a slight sideways force on those specific landings.

How old are your boots? Are the toe and heel lugs ground down/rounded badly?

I did look at this also but Boots are only 2 years old and both heel/toe pads are like new still.

Always have your bindings checked by a certified technician. Parts wear out, springs get weak and plastic degrades. Others have also mentioned upgrading your binding to better suit your needs.

2 techs did look at them and they didn't see any issues which I would have hoped since they were only a season and a half old when this started happening but maybe 1000+ jumps will wear them out quicker! lol

I think I'm just going to order some better bindings a hope that resolves it!

Thanks Everyone for the comments!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I figured ill give this a shot here... Ill try to keep it short got back in to skiing last winter. I went with a pair of Nordica navigator 80 and was sold on a pair of Tyrolia SLR 10 "adjustable" bindings. While I was a bit hesitant going the adjustable route i did it for the reason of A resale incase after a season i wanted to go a different direction on skis and B the ability to move around the ski a bit and find the right standing point without having to re-drill. After 2 seasons now I have been thrilled with both the skis and bindings.

Im sure their are opinions on this also but just for reference i like to mark my skis L/R and always keep them on the same foot. I like to go off jumps no tricks or anything but not afraid to hit 40ft kickers. Half way thru this season I landed a jump and right at landing my right boot came out of my binding and i went down pretty hard. I would say this happened another 3-4 more times however i also had it happen on just a small side hit of a rail jump. It has never happened anywhere else on the hill and i ski pretty aggressive. In reality it probably happened once every 200 jumps but that's enough to have it in your head every jump. I did try and analyze it every time it happened and to my best knowledge it seems as if when i land my heel would slide sideways out of the binding normally to the inside. Most the times i would say my weight on the landing was more towards the tail of the ski but nothing crazy. It was always the right ski which may mean that binding or just because I favor that side a bit more on landing not sure. Every time my binding was still in the locked or down position if that helps at all. Took it to my 2 local shops described it to them and both said DIN and forward pressure looked exactly as it should. We did turn up the din by 1 point but i had it happen once still after that. From all the research i have done my guess would be my ski is flexing to the point where it allows the heel to slip out which seems logical but that is a ton of flex when I try to recreate it off my foot.. I am considering ditching the bindings and moving to the attack 13 or 14 bindings to try and resolve it but wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with a similar issue...

Any thoughts on this or help is greatly appreciated!t

Does not compute. Navigator 80’s + SLR10 bindings + 40’ kickers = ?

Your hitting 40’ kickers on a bargain basement binding and you only released every 200 jumps. That’s pretty good ratio of luck, but really outside the expectations of that ski-binding combo.

Step up to an appropriate binding before you hurt yourself.

Sponsor

Staff online