• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings for Marker Piston Plate?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a red Marker piston plate from a few years ago. (2011-ish???). It originally came on a pair of Volkl SLs. They're now on a different pair of SLs that are my hard-snow-day recreational ski. Trying to decide what to do about binders. I had been running a pair of Marker Comp 10s on them, which I know is more or less a junior binding. For a while it didn't seem to be an issue, but last night I walked out of them twice even though the heel is already cranked up to the III+ level. Did not actually check forward pressure but they were formally checked earlier in the season by my always-reliable tech guy. Anyway, after two hard falls my overworked confidence factory is pissed at them, so I'm thinking about just going to a sturdier unit. If it weren't for the plate I'd just go with Looks, as on my GS skis, which historically have held me in better at lower DIN settings. Thoughts? Anything available in the cast-offs bin? @ScotsSkier ?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi tony. Only spare plates I have at the moment are Atomic and Salomon ( well I also have derbyflex but you do not want them on a slalom ski! ) . For a look Rossi plate remember that you need the race heel rather than the standard PX12 type. ( correction, you can make the PX12 work on a Rossi R18 or R20 plate up to about a 300 BSL.). I am a bit surprised that you were staying in with the marker 10 to start with....:eek:........ I would look at the forward pressure to start with though....re,ember with these markers you need to turn the forward pressure screw a half turn past flush. I have seen regular issues with the 12, 14, and 16 versions where the forward pressure tends to slacken off by itself so worth checking first. It may we'll be of course that if they have seen a lot of use they are just losing tension/pressure, I have seen that happen on the 16s. Also do a proper check for cracks, there is a lot Of plastic in the 10s......

Other option would be to use a head or Fischer plate that takes most any binding

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
. I am a bit surprised that you were staying in with the marker 10 to start with....:eek:....

Yeah, well, that's why I am deciding to just move on. They were more or less free and instantly available when I got them in a moment of urgent need, but their short-term utility has clearly expired.

I have seen regular issues with the 12, 14, and 16 versions where the forward pressure tends to slacken off by itself so worth checking first.

Will do.

Other option would be to use a head or Fischer plate that takes most any binding

Yeah, when I first posted this I'd been angling for a way to reuse the existing plate, but on reflection I think I just want to move away from Marker, understanding that it's not rational or fair to judge a whole brand on a low-end model, but also understanding that it's okay to go with what gives you confidence, even if it's not entirely rational.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
[QUOTE="

Yeah, when I first posted this I'd been angling for a way to reuse the existing plate, but on reflection I think I just want to move away from Marker, understanding that it's not rational or fair to judge a whole brand on a low-end model, but also understanding that it's okay to go with what gives you confidence, even if it's not entirely rational.[/QUOTE]

Stick a Comp 20 on them and you won't have any issues with walking out of them.....:beercheer:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[QUOTE="

Yeah, when I first posted this I'd been angling for a way to reuse the existing plate, but on reflection I think I just want to move away from Marker, understanding that it's not rational or fair to judge a whole brand on a low-end model, but also understanding that it's okay to go with what gives you confidence, even if it's not entirely rational.

Stick a Comp 20 on them and you won't have any issues with walking out of them.....:beercheer:[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'll put on that backpack with 60lbs of sand in it and be all good. Oh wait, I don't have bones and joints to go with that! Oops.

Sponsor