• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Brahma 82 SP Feedback

phillc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've done a lot of web searching, generally and on here, but have to date found little real feedback on Blizzard's SP version of the Brahma. In general it's supposed to be a bit easier and softer to ride, but I can't really find an in-depth review or comparison with the regular Brahmas.

Here's my situation.....

182cm tall
105kg
49yrs old
Started skiing only in January 2018, when my kid started as well. We live in Austria now and I do easy 20+ days per year
I'd say I'm intermediate. Can ride down pretty much any black slope, if it's in decent shape. I fall apart in the crud and on moguls. I struggle to carve, but have no (ski) control problems.
My right knee is stuffed - ACL reconstruction and extensive cartilage damage from a motorcycle racing accident years ago. I wear a brace on this knee when skiing. I don't charge real hard.

I currently ride a pair of 2018 Salomon M XDR 79 CF skis, 170cm. They're OK, but I'm feeling the itch for something new (the kid constantly gets new kit as he grows!). I've found a pair of brand new 2023 Blizzard Brahma 82 SPs, 180cm, with Marker TPC 10 bindings, at a great price.

What differences will I notice with the Brahmas compared to my current five year old Salomons?

TS
P

phillc

Skier
Sorry, what is 'SP'?
No idea what it stands for, but it's this ski:

"The Brahma 82 SP allows for a bit more versatility due to its more forgiving flex and requires less effort when skiing ungroomed terrain like a bump run."

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
No idea what it stands for, but it's this ski:

"The Brahma 82 SP allows for a bit more versatility due to its more forgiving flex and requires less effort when skiing ungroomed terrain like a bump run."

Found this description on the Powder7 site:

The Blizzard Brahma 82 SP is the dialed back version of one of Blizzard's most popular skis, the Brahma. The Brahma SP does not have the double titanal layer construction featured in the regular Brahma. This simple change allows skiers with a less aggressive style to carve with control and precision. The SP also features Duratec topsheets and tip protectors for greater durability. Have fun carving turns on ice, blasting through crud or floating on fresh. You'll be linking turns on this quick, responsive ski all season long.

TS
P

phillc

Skier
Thanks! It does sound like the kind of ski I'm looking for - a little softer than the regular Brahma for the less aggressive skier (me!) and blasts through crud. I am hoping someone has actually skied this ski and can provide some real world feedback.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The SP started off as a rental version of the regular Brahma. I agree with @Jilly While the SP might be OK for you today, you will probably quickly out grow it tomorrow.

TS
P

phillc

Skier
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am a bit heavy and it may seem that these skis could be too soft, but I really don't want something that's too stiff. At my age and condition (dodgy knees), I am not sure how much further my skiing will truly progress. I could probably do with the exercise, but the amount of effort I need to put in to get through crud on my current skis means it's not really that much fun. I was thinking something a bit softer might be better. And when I and my knees get tired after lunch, I do find myself in the backseat sometimes, so I again I'm looking for forgiveness and not punishment.

Another option I was thinking about was the Rustler 9, but haven't yet found any at a really good end of season price and I'm not sure if they'll be too wide for my groomer sliding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its not that the skis are softer, they are not significantly softer but they are build with lessr materials and not as quier and smooth on the snow. Think of margerine verses butter, it looks similar, it does the same thing but doesn't taste as good.

Sponsor

Staff online