• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"BOOSTER" STRAPS... Pros and Cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisterella

Booting up
Skier
I have never used "Booster" straps but am interested on hearing some feedback on them and possibly trying them out.
What are their pros and cons?
:beercheer:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Pros

- They work as designed
- Can sub for snapped boot ratchet/clip
- Can used to help splint a grizzly's broken paw/ emergency tourniquet

Cons

- Can be fiddly to fit especially where previous powerstrap riveted on rather than bolted with removeable bolts
- Require threading through ratchet
- End of free end webbing can fray requiring you burn it sealed again
- Endless debate about whether best inside or outside cuff

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used one for a few weeks last year on my old Rossi boots (which had since been replaced) and saw zero benefits over the stock velcro strap but felt it was more fiddly to get on or off. One strap is now used to hang my speaker from the ceiling during ski tuning sessions, the other is used to hold skis from falling over in storage.

Unless your current boots have a non-functional strap, spend your money elsewhere.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My favorite Booster strap is an XL (24") Voile strap. Costs about $8 a side. Light, has a bit of bounce/rebound (stretchy), easy to cinch tight.

Plus everyone knows you're a dirtbag that way.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Benefit: Adjustable rate of flex engagement of shin/boot interface.
Benefit: Can be used to strap boots to each other and carry boots over shoulder
Benefit: Can ski with top buckle less tight and allow strap to do the work.
Benefit: Can walk in ski boots easier by unbuckling top buckles and opening strap to the most comfortable position.

Downside: May droop down into the slush of the parking lot and get wet (before attached)
Downside: Takes about 10 seconds extra per boot to get on/off.

James

Out There
Instructor
Con- they’re heavy for touring boots. I took mine off before schlepping up to Tuckerman Ravine last season. I just did resort skinning before that.

Otherwise, there’s a fair amount of info on them in here. Use google to search maybe as this search engine is terrible.

They don’t make much sense on very soft boots. Otherwise, velcro doesn’t make much sense. Post above is one of the few people who tried them and go back. What boots are you talking?

They’re quicker to attach straps and unattach in the airport for shoulder to bag carrying.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All pros and no cons in my book. I like the progressive flex of the Booster strap. The first thing that I do when I purchase new boots is rip off that unyielding OEM strap and install a Booster. If boot mfgrs installed a progressive flex strap from the factory, I'd have no need to purchase a Booster.

snowplow86

Booting up
Skier
At only 5'6, 150#, for many years I have had to mod my various racing boots to get the extra range of motion I want for moguls and soft snow. Booster's Expert model is such an improvement over the shin bang and occasional back seat from inflexible Velcro, while snugging it up keeps the firm flex I like for race carving.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pros
  • More reactive performance from the boot
Cons
  • None have anything really to do with actually skiing
    • Walking
    • Longer to clasp/unclasp
    • Getting wet
  • Weight? The extra 100 grams could be lost elsewhere

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have NEVER seen an athlete, or a "skilled" skier move to a Booster, then abandon them and go back to a Velcro Power strap. That post surprises me. The guys who I know who fit the best in their boots tend to remove the factory straps, and replace with Boosters before the boots go out the door. Of course now that Booster's patent has expired, near duplicates are out there. Probably more to follow.

Strongly feel that they work as intended and make a big difference. I'm 67, and have had them since they were first made. Obviously new pairs along the way. My 65 year old wife does as well. We're both "OK with our skiing", BTW. No way would we ski without them. Lange ZB's, Dobie 150's, Lange RX130's, Solly's......all have had their Boosters.

Full disclosure....I don't pay for them. And yeah, when worn they get repurposed around the house and shop. I have some holding the stern of one of our boats to the trailer right now.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
My favorite Booster strap is an XL (24") Voile strap. Costs about $8 a side. Light, has a bit of bounce/rebound (stretchy), easy to cinch tight.

Plus everyone knows you're a dirtbag that way.
I ran a Voile on my old shells that shed a buckle for some time. People already know I'm a dirtbag but I feel it enhances the image in a way that a mere unkempt beard, cable grease on my jacket and copious duct tape engineering cannot do alone. Thanks to the guys at L9 in SLC for suggesting the fix when they couldn't find a Head skeletal assembly.

Really the Voile strap is the best invention in skiing and simply doesn't get the cred it deserves in high falutin' media sites like this one with their spendy whisky and $1300 skis ;)

(and note if I don't bag the Liberty skis in tomorrow's draw I'll know that Big Strap has been tampering to do me down!)

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Pros and Cons already nailed down here.

One I'll add - the placebo effect is still an effect . . . just sayin' ;)

Reminds me I need to do new t-nut hardware on mine this year, couldn't find it last year and ran regular nylon lock-nuts - they stick out and hang up on pants and stuff. It works, but it's clunky.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
And yeah, when worn they get repurposed around the house and shop. I have some holding the stern of one of our boats to the trailer right now.

My retired pair now holds my bed platform in the minivan in place.
Mapu49f.jpeg

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really surprised about the number of people that have commented saying that they are more difficult or timely to put on or off. I don't take them all the way out of the metal clip, and have no problems getting boots on or off with them still looped. Then it's just a quick tug on the tail to get them tightened up.

As others have mentioned, I love the progressive flex and the response that I get from them much better than a rigid strap.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pros
  • More reactive performance from the boot
Cons
  • None have anything really to do with actually skiing
    • Walking
    • Longer to clasp/unclasp
    • Getting wet
  • Weight? The extra 100 grams could be lost elsewhere
Pretty much sums it up.

The reactive performance comes from being able to really snug it down (I do it against the liner, inside or just above the shell) so that the tongue and calf of boot and liner are always in contact with the leg, so no "dead spots" as I like to call them, and the elastic provides a nice rebound without tightening the strap so tight that your calves start screaming. Caveat is I have stupid narrow feet and calves/ankles so really like to snug my boots down.

You can get a feeling for the difference even at home. Tighten one boot with the stock strap, then wrap a Booster around the other side with the stock strap out of the way, then flex.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have NEVER seen an athlete, or a "skilled" skier move to a Booster, then abandon them and go back to a Velcro Power strap. That post surprises me. The guys who I know who fit the best in their boots tend to remove the factory straps, and replace with Boosters before the boots go out the door. Of course now that Booster's patent has expired, near duplicates are out there. Probably more to follow.

Strongly feel that they work as intended and make a big difference. I'm 67, and have had them since they were first made. Obviously new pairs along the way. My 65 year old wife does as well. We're both "OK with our skiing", BTW. No way would we ski without them. Lange ZB's, Dobie 150's, Lange RX130's, Solly's......all have had their Boosters.

Full disclosure....I don't pay for them. And yeah, when worn they get repurposed around the house and shop. I have some holding the stern of one of our boats to the trailer right now.
Been using Boosters for years but last spring decided to test / compare different strap set ups on my Head WCR plugs. Just out of curiosity. Although conditions were typical late morning spring overall, i did two -3 runs per strap on the trail vacated minutes before by Schiffrin for SL training … which was pretty firm having been salted to within an inch of its life .
Bottom line: the Booster won out for its progressive nature compared to the non elastic, fixed , Lange and Fischer straps. The non elastic straps made the flex of the boot feel more like an on-off switch …and perhaps in running gates exclusively might have a desirable benefit. But overall the booster felt better able to modulate tip pressure from the top of the turn onward.

I’m curious re the newer Atomic dual strap which combine adjustable elastic/ fixed. Also , saw a pr of Diabello boots for a USST speed skier set up with two(!) Boosters / boot one high for over cuff- inner boot cuff and second wraps the uppermost shell cuff only jst above top buckle.
Regardless, Boosters remain the strap of choice for this 74 yo .

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 to all of the above. My old shells (yes, they're being replaced this year) probably have close to 400 days on them and the Boosters, while getting slightly frayed are still very useable.

At the price it's not like buying a new car.................I think one of our sponsors, Racewax has a good deal on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online