• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bootfitting

DaveA

Booting up
Skier
I’ve been blessed with really easy feet. For years i’ve been using off the shelf tecnica boots and in the past have worn rossi and lange boots with no issues. I swap out the (usually crap) footbed they come with for a decent (off the shelf) one and that’s about it. I’m curious to know if I’m missing out on extra performance by not going to a boot fitter/getting something more customised though. Part of me thinks that whatever anatomical issues i have must be pretty minor (given the general comfort and level of performance i can achieve off the shelf) but another part wonders if a custom fit could elevate things noticeably. has anyone out there with a similar background migrated to something more customised? If so i’d welcome your views. Thanks.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
i have never been more jealous

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who knows? It depends on what you're looking to achieve and what you think you might be missing out on now. If you're happy with where you are, why change anything?

As an example, I could go down one more shell size and I debated it with my fitter. We decided that the work and effort was not worth the marginal potential for improvement for the type of skiing that I'm doing now. If my livelihood or safety depended on that nth degree of ultimate precision, maybe I'd reconsider. But today, I ski for fun not medals or paychecks, and I'd rather be able to wiggle my toes.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I’ve been blessed with really easy feet. For years i’ve been using off the shelf tecnica boots and in the past have worn rossi and lange boots with no issues. I swap out the (usually crap) footbed they come with for a decent (off the shelf) one and that’s about it. I’m curious to know if I’m missing out on extra performance by not going to a boot fitter/getting something more customised though. Part of me thinks that whatever anatomical issues i have must be pretty minor (given the general comfort and level of performance i can achieve off the shelf) but another part wonders if a custom fit could elevate things noticeably. has anyone out there with a similar background migrated to something more customised? If so i’d welcome your views. Thanks.
so much will depend on your foot your skiing and your biomechanics, if the foot the shelf footbed is filling your arch cavity and the heel cup a good fit around your heel, then it may work just fine, if there is some void space under the arch or the heel is not a snug fit into that heel cup then there may be merit in seeking a more custom solution, if it is all working for you then as Phil said why change it, but you don't know what you don't know, it may propel your skiing to another level it may not

where abouts in switzerland are you, i know a couple of good folks who can help you if you go down the route of a custom product

Mob

Booting up
Skier
Sorry if this has been asked, but can someone recommend a bootfitter in Park City?

foggy1

Booting up
Skier

Very glad you asked this question, as I was about to ask the same thing. And really liked hearing the if it ain't broke response by someone reputable. So many threads by folks with issues just makes you wonder what you're missing. Like you, I guess I'm just lucky.

Paraphrasing a local fitter - "if you don't experience pain in the boot, you'll learn to ski it." He knows how I ski & the volume of work I put into skiing and did not make the comment lightly. And knows that I'm not competing, other than continually trying to improve. Simply good to get confirmation.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you can get a custom made orthopaedic foot bed instead of the off the shelf type it MIGHT give you some advantage but I wouldn't expect a major improvement. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Brent Amsbury @ Park City Boot.
Brent is awesome. In the unlikely event that you won’t be able to get an appointment with him instantly ( :ogbiggrin: ) there are several other phenomenal bootfitters here.
Jeff Ernst (Ernie) at Bootworks;
Jerry at Jackson’s Base Camp;
Dude at Cole’s;
Matt Schiller at Park City Boot Room (more race oriented);
There are others. Given how frequently this question is asked, perhaps the powers that be can create a sticky. Or maybe refer people to other parts of the country!!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Brent is awesome. In the unlikely event that you won’t be able to get an appointment with him instantly ( :ogbiggrin: )
Brent's staff is also world class too, Julie is super.
there are several other phenomenal bootfitters here.
Jeff Ernst (Ernie) at Bootworks;
I like Ernie's philosophy in fitting.
Jerry at Jackson’s Base Camp;
Dude at Cole’s;
Matt Schiller at Park City Boot Room (more race oriented);
Matt doesn't sell boots, he expects you to come in with a boot that needs Nth degree fitting in footbeds and stance.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually he does sell boots depending on what you need and what he has. He sold me a pair of Head R2s in 2018. He doesn’t insist on selling you boots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually he does sell boots depending on what you need and what he has. He sold me a pair of Head R2s in 2018. He doesn’t insist on selling you boots.
That was 2018. Today, he might have maybe a half dozen plug race bootsin the shelf. Don't go in to see Matt and expect to walk out with boots.

Reactions: cem

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
Brent Amsbury @ Park City Boot.
In Aspen, CO is Jim Lindsay the guy to see? Anyone else you recommend? I have a pair of boots, but want to get my alignment assessed as I have some funky issues going on with a fused subtalar joint, possible LLD, a high arch that collapses (even with custom footbeds), and when it collapses, my leg/knee rotates inward/medially and prevents my knee from flexing forward straight over my toes (same leg as the foot w/ fusion).

Given all that... also will be looking for their suggestion if I should get into a different boot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In Aspen, CO is Jim Lindsay the guy to see? Anyone else you recommend? I have a pair of boots, but want to get my alignment assessed as I have some funky issues going on with a fused subtalar joint, possible LLD, a high arch that collapses (even with custom footbeds), and when it collapses, my leg/knee rotates inward/medially and prevents my knee from flexing forward straight over my toes (same leg as the foot w/ fusion).

Given all that... also will be looking for their suggestion if I should get into a different boot.
Jim or Jack Rafferty in Snowmass Village.

Sponsor

Staff online