• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots for long narrow foot women

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
For reference: Male, foot length 27+ cm, width 95 mm. I wear a men's size 11 street shoe as measured with a Brannock device.
I've been in a 26.5 boot for several years, different brands.
As others have mentioned, flex can be softened. So, a 120 flex may be a good starting place.
The boot may turn out to be a "race boot" but don't let that put you (her) off it just mean's a narrow boot.
A quick test would be to do a shell fit with her existing boot. Take the liner out and put the foot in the shell with the big toe just touching the front of the shell. Then measure the space behind the heel to the shell. If it's more than 3/4" the boot is too big. A shop should always do a shell fit but only the good ones do. I'm guessing the reason she liked the 27.5 S/MAX is there were no pinches when trying them in the shop. This can be an indicator of too large a boot. Shell material can always be ground or punched to eliminate "hot spots". I have a prominent fifth met head, it always touches the shell when doing a shell fit. I have had a punch to eliminate this in all my boots. Pads can be used to fill in voids and so can after market liners. Liners such as Intuition's have the added benefit of being very warm, something race liners are not known for.
Also look for a shop that has a 3D imaging machine so she can have a better idea of how her foot will fit in various boots. These machines help the fitter know where to pad or punch. However the shop should still do a shell fit.
Even with all the above fitting info she will still have to make a return trip to the fitter for tweaks to the fit. This is why it might be a good idea to go to a fitter on your first western trip. She can have the boot fit and adjusted then re-adjusted after skiing for a day or two.

Regards,

RC

That was good info. Daughter did get shell fit, they spent a lot of time on it, but no imaging. She also knows a loose boot as that was her primary complaint that any boot that was long enough (in her opinion) was too loose for control. She would cry I cant ski like this! I really don't know how 'great' is her current fit, just she did not complain about it this year.

Noneetheless, that is interesting that you are M11 in a 26.5. I'm M13 in the longer foot and new boots are my next gear target. Thanks.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have long, narrow feet. So I know what your daughter is going through, although maybe its worse for a woman. I am a size 13, (29.5) which is only relevant in that its too large as size for a ski shop to stock, so its special order, mostly. Assuming your daughter is trying on men's or unisex boots (the same thing) she is at least in a well stocked size range (although they will sell out fast due to popularity).

The point of my reply is: when or hopefully only "if" your daughter's new boots become loose due to liner packing out, she needs to move into a race boot. Race boots are made for narrow feet, and its a shame that a lot of people with narrow feet are not directed to buy them. I suspect its due to the "perception" that race boots are "too much" for a recreational skier. Well 170 flex World Cup race boots are, but 110/130 race boots are not and can be softened even more very easily. Fit is the number one criteria for buying a boot. Its hard to know how narrow your daughters feet are over the internet. Just trying to let you know that it is possible to find a long enough boot that is still a snug fit if you look in the race boot offerings. They can be special order, but worth it for narrow feet. Along with a zillion boot models, there are two variables to hone in on a good fitting ski boot, length and width. Don't rule out the narrow race boot category just because you think like I used to "I don't need a race boot for the type of skiing I do". I actually did to get a narrow enough boot, and I had it softened to the exact flex that I like to use in a recreational boot. Keep in mind, when you put your foot into a new boot, if your toes are crunched its probably too short, and if it doesn't feel too tight or hurt a bit somewhere, its probably too wide. Ski boots are made to be modified to get a proper snug fit. You have to fit the narrowest part of your foot, not the widest. Any ski boot that fits like a comfortable shoe is too wide or will be after the liner packs out some.

I really do hope your daughter's new boots work out for her, good luck.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ramp Angle,,, I don't know much about that (anything). I get a lift in the front of the boot and that's it as far as I know. I will be buying new boot soon and I would like to get the ramp angle correct. I sounds like some bindings are higher at the rear of the boot and that can cause problems. Who would make the call in this issue, the fitter or the ski tech? For me having the lift in the front of the of the boot has helped my skiing a lot.

Is the ramp always higher in the back or can it be either direction.

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have long, narrow feet. So I know what your daughter is going through, although maybe its worse for a woman. I am a size 13, (29.5) which is only relevant in that its too large as size for a ski shop to stock, so its special order, mostly. Assuming your daughter is trying on men's or unisex boots (the same thing) she is at least in a well stocked size range (although they will sell out fast due to popularity).

The point of my reply is: when or hopefully only "if" your daughter's new boots become loose due to liner packing out, she needs to move into a race boot. Race boots are made for narrow feet, and its a shame that a lot of people with narrow feet are not directed to buy them. I suspect its due to the "perception" that race boots are "too much" for a recreational skier. Well 170 flex World Cup race boots are, but 110/130 race boots are not and can be softened even more very easily. Fit is the number one criteria for buying a boot. Its hard to know how narrow your daughters feet are over the internet. Just trying to let you know that it is possible to find a long enough boot that is still a snug fit if you look in the race boot offerings. They can be special order, but worth it for narrow feet. Along with a zillion boot models, there are two variables to hone in on a good fitting ski boot, length and width. Don't rule out the narrow race boot category just because you think like I used to "I don't need a race boot for the type of skiing I do". I actually did to get a narrow enough boot, and I had it softened to the exact flex that I like to use in a recreational boot. Keep in mind, when you put your foot into a new boot, if your toes are crunched its probably too short, and if it doesn't feel too tight or hurt a bit somewhere, its probably too wide. Ski boots are made to be modified to get a proper snug fit. You have to fit the narrowest part of your foot, not the widest. Any ski boot that fits like a comfortable shoe is too wide or will be after the liner packs out some.

I really do hope your daughter's new boots work out for her, good luck.

Really good info, thanks. I forwarded that msg to her, and will remember it myself.

Sponsor

Staff online