• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boutique 88mm width skis

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm wondering what the collective thoughts are out there of the comparison of these seemingly similar (categorically) skis:

Peak 88 - Is this the most versatile here with the lowest floor and the highest ceiling of performance?
Renoun Endurance 88 - Would these be the kings of dampness? Do they prefer carving or are they happy slarving?
Stockli Stormrider 88 - Undeniably a carving bias from these with a long contact edge and strong tail. But can they keep up with the other two in fun-factor off the groomed flats?
Augment 88 - Arguably too strong and powerful for "all-mountain"?
Lusti CWR 87 - ???

88 is a really good all mountain width for the east coast and probably all you need for the off-piste exploration size. I know all too well that a single ski doesn't do everything well, but in a single category do we get a large variance in characteristics with enough variety to make a case for owning multiples?

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't forget the Lusti CWR 87

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably not enough money ;) but I can't say enough good about the Mindbender 89tis. Every time I ski these, I giggle a bit. It seems like they have some Party Sauce baked into them.

Carve? Bumps? A bit of new? Edge hold? Snappy/poppy? All yes, and then some.

Caveat might be a speed limit of 50 IMO.

Over a several year span, I've ended up with the entire MB lineup from 89 to 108. Did not expect to arrive at this destination, I bow down to Jed Yeiser and his team.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wondering what the collective thoughts are out there of the comparison of these seemingly similar (categorically) skis:

Peak 88 - Is this the most versatile here with the lowest floor and the highest ceiling of performance?

Peak is made by Elan. Why not also put Ripstick on this list? ;-)

Renoun Endurance 88 - Would these be the kings of dampness? Do they prefer carving or are they happy slarving?
Stockli Stormrider 88 - Undeniably a carving bias from these with a long contact edge and strong tail. But can they keep up with the other two in fun-factor off the groomed flats?

I've never skied a Stormrider, but a strong tail is not something I associate with them.

Augment 88 - Arguably too strong and powerful for "all-mountain"?

Reading the reviews here, I can see how you could reach that conclusion. Of four similar skis in my house: the Q9.8, RC One 82 GT, Heritage R87, and AM88(c); the Augment is by far the softest.

88 is a really good all mountain width for the east coast and probably all you need for the off-piste exploration size. I know all too well that a single ski doesn't do everything well, but in a single category do we get a large variance in characteristics with enough variety to make a case for owning multiples?
Agreed. It's a great width, even for the West.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Give Wagner a call.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I did not see that.

I did not see that.

I did not see that.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably not enough money ;) but I can't say enough good about the Mindbender 89tis. Every time I ski these, I giggle a bit. It seems like they have some Party Sauce baked into them.

Carve? Bumps? A bit of new? Edge hold? Snappy/poppy? All yes, and then some.

Caveat might be a speed limit of 50 IMO.

Over a several year span, I've ended up with the entire MB lineup from 89 to 108. Did not expect to arrive at this destination, I bow down to Jed Yeiser and his team.
I own the MB90ti and have similar positive thoughts. Got mine in 2020 at a super cheap price from Corbetts. I think the flat ski with the huge discount, Canadian exchange rate, no tax and free shipping was a bit over $300. Don't expect to see a deal like that again.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Must resist.

Must resist.

Etc!
Ha! This one was easy for me. Only one size, and it was a bit too long. Otherwise I would have grabbed them in a heartbeat. Same layup as the FL105, which for my style is sublime. That ski in an 85 would be ridiculously fun. And fast.

(I do have two other HL on pre-order, so don't weep for me!)

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You, my sir, are a lucky man. The 183 happens to be exactly my size.

Seems they are sold out for preorders already. So, really, the decision has already been made for us. The 183 would have been my preferred size as well. Check back, I've noticed that Marshall opens orders up from time to time. It also comes in a 95...

I have the FL105 on order for next year. Now if we can just get this pesky upcoming summer out of the way....

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Don’t forget the Kästle MX 88

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn, I'd like me one of those. Sold out however. I'll have to check back and see if their stock replenishes.

Sponsor

Staff online