• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the cost of living your dream as a Tahoe ski bum? What are you willing to give up? The Tahoe Basin has the same issues with affordable housing as many other resort regions like Jackson Hole, Aspen, and Summit County. Housing in the area is limited; what is there breaks down into a few types. Full-time year-rounders are the “locals” who have come to Tahoe to live the mountain life. They could be first-, second-, or third-generation ski bums, retirees, folks looking to escape the Bay Area, or even a combination of all. Then there are the part-timers, families that have second (or third or fourth) homes that they visit either seasonally or on weekends. These houses tend to be unavailable for rental long term; very occasionally they rent short term through sources like VRBO or Home Exchange. Finally we have the long-term rentals, the subject of this article.

Yes, housing is scarce, and housing for long-term rentals is even more so. It is safe to say that resort workers do not make a lot of money and are, well, very budget conscious. With the housing supply being low and demand being high, prices are rising rapidly. Recently, another aspect has made the real estate situation even more difficult, as owners have realized they can make at least as much money using their houses as short-term rentals. In addition, they don't have to worry about the wear and tear of four (or more) resort workers living there, they usually get paid in advance, and occasionally they can even use the property themselves.

For years, Reno was a viable option for many people working at the resorts. There was a cost, of course, primarily the loss of the “mountain lifestyle” atmosphere. But living in Reno cost easily 25 to 35% less than living in the mountains, enabling such luxuries as food, gas, and not having to have six roommates. The commute to work might have been longer in distance, but often it took less time due to the lack of snow.

RENO1170x538.jpg

We met with Diane Schall, who has been a real estate agent in both Nevada and California for the better part of 25 years, and discussed what has been happening in Reno. "The Biggest Little City" has become similar to Denver, city life close to skiing and activities such as hiking, climbing, and mountain biking. Reno also has this nice little lake called “Lake Tahoe” that is as beautiful as it is welcoming. The high desert climate is great; as a four-season city, it has rafting down the Truckee, concerts in the park, plus a great selection of new bistros, restaurants, and microbreweries popping up almost daily. Need to get away for a bit? An international airport. All of that has put Reno back on the map and made it onto the "Top Places to Live” lists of many national publications. When someone on the lift asks where you are from and you reply, “Reno,” no longer do they say, “Oh …” and look at you like you just lost a family member.

Not too long ago, the area west of McCarran Boulevard (the 23-mi loop that circles Reno) was a great value, not to mention the perfect location for people traveling to Truckee. But now there is competition for even those properties: with such companies as Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and Tesla coming to town, the affordable properties that used to serve as rentals are being sold because of the escalating demand. Since the real estate crash of 2010-11, values have come back over 75%; where owners were renting until they could sell, now they are selling, leaving that many fewer options.

Tahoe has always had the option of Reno, which other resort areas didn’t have, but it is slowly losing that. Make no mistake, this housing issue in the Tahoe Basin isn’t limited to just the resorts; it is also valid for any business based there, a topic is also addressed in this article in the Sierra Sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How many of our coworkers at the ski area are struggling to find housing at the moment?

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Those truly dedicated to the ski bum way of life will always find a way to make it work. You guys are a perfect example, although you nailed it in regards to timing and a lot of people don't. But what I really wonder about is; at what point will resorts not be able to function properly because they can't, er, won't, I mean don't, pay their employees enough to be able to live near enough to work fill time schedules. @Tori and I have been noticing more and more mid term ski leases that want a major portion of the seasons rent up front, and many of those stipulate that they are not to be used for full time residencies.Hopefully in the near future a lot, or at least some, of the resorts will realize that they need affordable employee housing in order to employee a large enough staff to operate properly.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would personally rather live in Reno than along the lake. It sounds kind of crazy but I like having a real town with less transitional neighbors and all the conveniences of a small city. I want to choose where in getting Chinese or see a movie.

Not just Reno. Carson city gardnerville ect are all real close to the basin and similar but a bit more chill.

Ogden and SLC are other areas that find this balance. I like grand junction alto too as the local mtb and various redneck activities are fantastic.

My time on the front range was great....but as a frequent skier there's other places id rather be....but for a big city with jobs and cool stuff its great...the traffic is real though.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those truly dedicated to the ski bum way of life will always find a way to make it work. You guys are a perfect example, although you nailed it in regards to timing and a lot of people don't. But what I really wonder about is; at what point will resorts not be able to function properly because they can't, er, won't, I mean don't, pay their employees enough to be able to live near enough to work fill time schedules. @Tori and I have been noticing more and more mid term ski leases that want a major portion of the seasons rent up front, and many of those stipulate that they are not to be used for full time residencies.Hopefully in the near future a lot, or at least some, of the resorts will realize that they need affordable employee housing in order to employee a large enough staff to operate properly.
This.

And not just dumpy 4 people to a room places. Anyone past the age of 25 OS going to want something somewhat livable. I lived in alotof employee housing when I was in my 20s at various resorts and its not sustainable when you share a room with four dudes and they all wanna party 6 nights a week.

Pay more, charge more for decent living conditions and maybe more well adjusted people will want to work and live

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Its funny, to us, Reno is just the opposite. Its the "big city" that makes having a home in Truckee (Donner Lake) tolerable. Costco, Trader Joe's, movie theaters, basketball games, picking up friends at the airport, etc. And negligible traffic. Is there ever traffic in Reno? To me Reno fills this role beautifully. Although we don't live full time in Truckee we do spend extended time there year round. And Reno is part of the deal. Reno is great at being what I want it to be. And I really mean that. I like it and am very glad it is exactly as it is.

EDIT: BTW, the only thing "intolerable" about Truckee is what is so great about it. Its an incredibly charming small town, in the best sense of the word.

Last edited:

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Brian Likes Pow I think pay more expect more would work better than pay more and charge more for employee housing, but it would be better than the current situation. When I was interviewing for a job at Kirkwood, I was looking at employee housing and although its not exactly... uhh.... anything close to nice, it was cheap. And for someone who is a seasonal employee who likes buying a lot of cool toys, err, tools, and doesnt really care about how high end their living situation is (read: saving money on living expenses so I can buy more cool toys and tools) it would have been perfect. Or for a liftie making next to nothing.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
These threads pop up with increasing frequency, as the problem is real. Obviously Reno's proximity to Tahoe is pretty unique. And great for you, T&P, to nail the timing on housing market. Nice!

As I've posted a number of times, we have two adult kids who are in the ski business. They have good jobs, great benefits, and I think they earn nice incomes. No debt. They are in such a different place that many others trying to exist in a mountain lifestyle.

However, this housing deal affects them, and friends of their's everywhere. Every single area near serious skiing. And it gets worse every month.

Our daughter has a great 2BR condo that she's rented in CO. Very expensive town. Got lucky. Just learned that the entire building has been sold {all eight units}. Plan is to tear it doen and build two serious trophy homes. I think that there are 20 people who will be displaced.

Our son just moved from one ski town to another. When he let it be known that he was moving, his roomate took over their lease, and between the two of them they had something like 40 friends ask about moving in.

In his new place, he's living with friends, - young couple who own a small house. It will work well. Rent is reasonable, and he's putting aside a lot of money.

What is stressful as can be is the situation of not knowing when you can get dumped out. When your landlord decides to sell, or....goes short term.

My niece is a pretty senior exec with one of the short term platforms, and she makes a VERY compelling argument as to why you'd seriously have to be a fool not to rent short term. Have literally dozens of personal examples of it working.

It's more than just figuring out employee housing for a ski area. Towns, and counties need to put a lot of thought into this.
The LAST group with any empathy are those employing in the ski business. You can have manager with 15 years of experience, there, who was able to buy at the time. And they can be oblivious to the current mess.

I do some advisory work in the business, and this is a problem. Suddenly, some organizations just can't hire the quality of employees they want, as they can't afford to take the job.

I have worked with one big race program that recently hired a new executive director, and a new alpine program director. The biggest issue was housing. It caused a large number of good candidates to not even explore it. Non starter. These are good jobs.

I would think that Reno would have a ton of appeal for many. I really understand @skibob 's perspective. Nice to have all of that reasonably close to Truckee!

It's a real problem, and not getting better. And there are no easy answers.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It's a real problem, and not getting better. And there are no easy answers.

Plenty of obvious, straight forward answers. None of them easy though.

Heres one that was being worked on at a resort in the north lake region; buy up the dumpy crack den hotels in one of the towns close by, and flip them into employee housing. Is it perfect? No. Is it "nice" housing? No. But its housing. And its on a mainline buss route. And its close, but not on property. I dont know if its still being perused, but it would help a TON. Would it be easy? Probably not. Would it cost that much? Well maybe but in reality, a lot of these larger resorts are doing okay when it comes to money. But heres a way to look at it; you provide your employees with cheap, better-than-sh*t-but-not-high-end housing, then you dont have to pay them more to compensate for the higher cost of living. Furthermore, you dont fill housing based on a lottery, you fill it based on need. Seasonal frontline employees get priority over FTYR frontliers get priority over FTYR mid level management and so on. Really, if you're upper level management and one of these resorts, you absolutely do not need employee housing. Is it perfect? No, but its simple. Or simple ish.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
The silicon valley / SF housing virus is truly incredible, it just keeps spreading. East bay and Marin were long gone a while ago. In the past few years it really hit Sonoma County ... then Napa and Solano County... then Sacramento... and now beyond and up to Tahoe and into Nevada. There's nowhere else to go, really, at this point, so it's only going to get worse. Until the correction comes. There's always a correction.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
that not only happens in ski country,but in any resort community. several times a summer we hear of people renting a home for their vacation and when they arrive it is either no such place or someone else is renting. and rents here aren"t cheap.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The silicon valley / SF housing virus is truly incredible, it just keeps spreading. East bay and Marin were long gone a while ago. In the past few years it really hit Sonoma County ... then Napa and Solano County... then Sacramento... and now beyond and up to Tahoe and into Nevada. There's nowhere else to go, really, at this point, so it's only going to get worse. Until the correction comes. There's always a correction.
@JayT I think you are in Sonoma County also. Here in Santa Rosa, real estate has topped out. Suddenly houses are on the market for more than a few days and prices aren't climbing. Just kind of maintaining. Housing is still ridiculously expensive here and certainly not getting any cheaper. But it seems to not be getting more expensive in recent months. If (like me) you have a house you like, that you can afford, you just look around and are grateful.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now that's a scam! Wow!
We saw a variation of this when we were movng to Reno but it wa squatters taking deposits on short sales they didn't own. I also heard of cases where people were actiing as owners and collection rent for months on houses they didn't own.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@JayT I think you are in Sonoma County also. Here in Santa Rosa, real estate has topped out. Suddenly houses are on the market for more than a few days and prices aren't climbing. Just kind of maintaining. Housing is still ridiculously expensive here and certainly not getting any cheaper. But it seems to not be getting more expensive in recent months. If (like me) you have a house you like, that you can afford, you just look around and are grateful.
That's where Phil and I are. We didn't buy an investment, we bought a home and are grateful that we have a low house payment and can live conveniently close to things we love.

We saw a variation of this when we were movng to Reno but it wa squatters taking deposits on short sales they didn't own. I also heard of cases where people were actiing as owners and collection rent for months on houses they didn't own.
That was when there were a ton of empty foreclosures sitting around. That's not likely to happen in today's market.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do European ski towns also have this housing problem?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January