• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carver for wife.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I'll soon be ordering some Blossom Numero Uno N*1 RCs I am planning on ordering my wife a set of carving skis also. The Blossom Numero Uno N*1 Lady. My wife is just under 5' tall and weighs 120lbs. Her current skis are Black Pearls 152cm which she loves. I was thinking 145cm length would be correct for her. For bindings I was hoping to get her a pair of Protectors like I have. She had a knee injury many years ago and really likes the idea of a laterally releasing heel. Protector PR 11 vs Protector SLR 11. Which to choose? Her BSL is 275, DIN 3.5. The SLR is lighter with a lower stand height but would the higher stand height of the PR be an advantage on this narrow ski?
Anything else I should be looking at?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not to be smart but...
Anything else I should be looking at?
Yes, getting her to a good bootfitter to get her boots checked.
My wife is just under 5' tall and weighs 120lbs.
Her BSL is 275,
Every women I know that is in a 275mm shell that has a proper performance fit is 5'5"+. But with her stats, I would be suprised if she is in the right shell.

TS
Dr.T

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, she saw the same boot fitter I did. Her boots are size 23.5. Her shoe size is 5. She likely should be in a 22.5? Perhaps that's why she says her boots are so comfortable. Damn it! This could be a tough sell.....
Boots aside, am I on the right track with these skis and bindings?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, she saw the same boot fitter I did. Her boots are size 23.5. Her shoe size is 5. She likely should be in a 22.5? Perhaps that's why she says her boots are so comfortable. Damn it! This could be a tough sell.....

A size 5 may even be smaller than a 22.5.

Length wise, agree the 145 is probably too short. There are several women within couple inches of both sides of 5'. Most of their carvers are around 153. Their AM skis are usually 157-161. The really short skis can behave a bit funky.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, you maybe in a boot too big too then? ;) But a size 5 in a 23.5, yeah very well she is in a boot too big.

TS
Dr.T

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, you maybe in a boot too big too then? ;) But a size 5 in a 23.5, yeah very well she is in a boot too big.
I'm a size 8 shoe, 25.5 boot.
Now to talk her into new boots.....she just got these last season and is so happy with the comfort :rolleyes:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a size 8 shoe, 25.5 boot.
Usually a solid higher performance recreational fit. I am a 9.5 and am also in a 25.5 but it is pretty snug.
Now to talk her into new boots.....she just got these last season and is so happy with the comfort :rolleyes:
Happy wife, happy Life. Well, don't fit what isn't broken in her mind, I wouldn't bring it up at this point, but keep it in the back of your mind when she starts moving around in them. Whatever ski you get, just have a binding that can be adjusted for BSL.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In a lot of ways you're on track, but I feel like that's a bit short for her. I'd go a size up.

Last edited:
TS
Dr.T

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget that men's and women's street shoe sizes are measured on a different scale (about 1.5 sizes different).
Yup, men's size 8, ski boot 25.5 for me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like 153 is the size to with :thumb:
Yes if she enjoys nice tight turns. Remember, height is only one factor, her weight and ability to bend the ski is another factor.

TS
Dr.T

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually a solid higher performance recreational fit. I am a 9.5 and am also in a 25.5 but it is pretty snug.

Happy wife, happy Life. Well, don't fit what isn't broken in her mind, I wouldn't bring it up at this point, but keep it in the back of your mind when she starts moving around in them. Whatever ski you get, just have a binding that can be adjusted for BSL.
I'm in the Nordica HF 120 due to an issue with my left foot and so far they have been great. They are snugged down toward the tightest setting on the rear lever...
So much wisdom in your recommendation :mask: . I plan on mounting either the Protector SLR or PR so adjustment is easy. Any suggestion between the two?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I plan on mounting either the Protector SLR or PR so adjustment is easy. Any suggestion between the two?
For her and her size and what you will be putting them on, I would not dismiss the SLR10

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Her boots are size 23.5. Her shoe size is 5. She likely should be in a 22.5?
My ski boots are 22.5, shoes are 6.5 or 7.

I'm right at the cusp of 22.5 and 23.5 where it depends on the make, the model, the position of the moon as to which will require less work and fit better long-term.

Sponsor

Staff online