• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat in a box

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch - it's time for an update on Fuzzball. With photo.
IMG_20161202_125456.jpg

Fuzzball had a four-week battle to save the leg. Over the first two weeks the animal hospital people were absolutely wonderful in their support, except one of the docs was not happy with the foot at all and cautioned us that removal is still very much a probability, with really the choice being between mid-foot, mid-shank, and hip removal. Actually, she thought hip removal was the ONLY way to go, with necrosis 99.9999% certain in the other options.

She managed to go to the litterbox on the 4th day. She was still in isolation from the other cats so had no imprint on how to use the box - and promptly started peeing on the bandage. Wonderful. So, in addition to the antibiotic every 8 hours she had to get a new bandage every 6 hours or so - and kitten food as soon as she emptied the last round. Now rebandaging was a 30 minute 2-person process, including peeling off the old one with the help of a saline syringe to break up blood clots and a 5-minute Hibiclens soak (gotta hold the kitten and the leg and the soaking solution otherwise you're wearing kitten and solution). Then Granulex spray then non-stick-pad, then gauze pressure pad then self-stick bandaging then sticky bandaging. Gah. We lost a lot of sleep in those 5 days.

On the 5th day she picked up a 2ndary infection. So we had to do 2 antibiotics one on 6-hour intervals and one on 8-hour. We lost more sleep. They still couldn't draw blood for the virus panel - she was still too small and would have mom's antibodies. So she had to stay in isolation, which meant moaning behind the door and washing ourselves and the clothes we used to play with her, all with aggressive exploration by the other cats. We lost more sleep.

The top candidate for adoption decided that 'Lila' was a really good name, so I immediately started calling her Lila the Lame Lint Leopard. She'd do a rocking chair move onto the bandage, rear up, and pounce on the biggest dryer dust bunny she could find. In between peeing on the bandage and chewing the top of it and moaning if she didn't have attention for 30 seconds. I know, lots cute.

Then we got some good news - the infection cultures were responding to the 2nd antibiotic and we could go back to the 8 hour syringes. 4 more days to the virus panel. 4 Looooooong days.

That's when I had a brainwave - she might be peeing on the bandage because the bandage is up over the knee- she simply can' t bend it out of the way to squat properly. So we changed the bandaging pattern so it was more of a clog than a cast. OMG - dry bandage at antibiotic time! Sweet! 2 days to virus panel.

We were kind of worried at this point because she couldn't hop anymore. Patience, patience, let her get used to the new bandage. We were still being presented with 2 options: mid shank removal and hip-level removal. The toe tendons used to flex claws were apparently completely severed.

Virus panel day. Doc compliments us on our bandaging. Infection is gone. New skin is apparent. PHEW. We can (maybe) stop fretting about the need to amputate. Animal hospital promptly re-bandages in the old cast pattern. And of course she pees on it, like immediately. GRRR.

Results come back and she can get introduced to -OMG- new playmates. At that point Lila the Lame Lint Leopard started absolutely terrorising cats 4x to 6x her size. 'Fuzzball' quickly re-aspected to 'Pestilence'.
Think you're going to get more sleep? HAH! Fooled you! 12:30 am howly fight over bedding space. 2am eyeball paw. 5am toe bite. 5:15 am massive diarrhea by other cat who got into the kitten food. Gah.

Top candidate for adoption backs out. He's got a chancy job situation and he wasn't keen on the amputation risk so she'd have to come back to us if that happened. Yeh, fine, I don't want someone who'll treat her like a Christmas kitten anyway.

Good news: the next door neighbour likes her. And likes the name Lila. 'Pestilence' not so much.

So...we're probably keeping her through Christmas. There has a major re-shuffle of food amongst the cats since we couldn't keep kitten food out anymore. Yeh, that went - terribly. She missed out a week of growth - zero weight gain - and went from tubby to slinky. We're still shuffling. On the upside, she's on the adult food.

So what you see there is a kitten 6 times her original size. The bandage is off and she's starting to get hair on the wound. She now has only 3 toes on that paw and it's not terribly flexible - but she still has the paw.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is SO awesome ctm, or at least your attendance and fostering is. If I can be of any support with bills or anything (Kevlar sleepwear?), PM me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks for the offer; I'm wearing my carbon fiber SIX2 to bed these days :) With no more surgeries on the horizon and all the help from the animal hospital we're good.

Thanks, though. Just the thoughts are a big boost.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love all the pics. And CTM, you are amazing!

I got a new cat for my daughter a few weeks ago. He's about 8 months old now. I call him the asshole, because, well, cats ARE assholes which is what I love about them. They regularly flip their human captors the bird. This guy is no exception. He is WILD. But, he sleeps at night, he is clean in the litter box, he's a lap cat when he's not terrorizing us, and he only claws the scratch pad. So, I'm pretty pleased with him. (Did I already share that we got him? I can't remember.)

Meet Osker (my daughter spells his name that way. She's 9.)
He climbed the Christmas tree immediately after we put it up. Ears back, scaling it like a damn cougar or something. Super funny.
15319060_10211583303644517_5417862530068638732_n.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
1fhwpo

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks everyone.

I don't know if it showed, but I had serious self doubt through the whole process - in a "WTF have I done?" sort of way. Moral support really helped.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Heh. One of the half-offers was in Newport News, so that could've happened except he's not ready for a bottle-feeding-every-6-hours level of care.
We had ferals in our yard dating back to the old lady that owned the house before us. We got a dog and most of them moved a couple yards over. One kitten got left behind and we bottle fed her until she was old enough to join the rest of her brood down the street. We also fed the locals out front, dog was a back yard doggie door dog. Fast forward, dog gets old and fairly sickly. One of the young adult female cats gets bold enough to come in the back doggie door. Old hound dog's too old and tired to care. Cat is pretty sweet and friendly when she's hungry.. from all those nights feeding her tuna on the front porch. Family still hanging around but not venturing inside the house. We got her chipped and fixed and she is now a 50% inside 50% outside cat. Had to put old hound dog down and got a pitt bull rescue a couple months later. Dog is friendly but cat HATED the new dog.. She'd hide on the other side of the doggie door and attack the dog when she put her head through to go through. Two years later, they mostly get a long now... mostly hahahahaha!

Oh and we were starting to have a problem with rats and mice until the cat adopted us and moved in. Only seen dead ones left as prizes since then.. Our pets earn their keep here.

We tried several times to get TNR groups to come work the neighborhood colony to no avail. Now that we have the younger, faster, scarier looking dog the other ferals have moved farther away, but some drop by the front to visit their sister/cousin/etc once in awhile..

10387402_848591975156342_4942355673539082884_n.jpg

Frienemy doing her job too..
10308263_850267151655491_3638355636113256562_n.jpg

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I have a cat story that's somewhat related to skiing. A couple years ago I was driving home in the evening after my workday at the ski area. The ski area is fifteen miles from town, the road goes through national forest. There are a couple campgrounds and a park along the way.

So about 5 miles from the ski area, near a campground but miles from any development, I suddenly saw a house cat crossing the road in my headlights. It took me a second to realize that it was the wrong place for me to see a house cat, but I pulled off the road and went to look for the cat, which immediately ran up the hill to a huge pile of rocks in the trees.

It turned out that there were two cats up there, and they were scared so they wouldn't come to me. They were plaintively, heartbreakingly mewing, and I ended up following them around in circles, trying to catch them, until it was too dark to see. I left, and the next morning on the way to work I brought up food, water, and a box with padding for shelter. I heard them and caught glimpses of them but they wouldn't come.

That day after work I went back, refreshed the food and water, and chased them around in the woods and rocks for over an hour. That whole heartbreaking scenario repeated itself for a couple of days. Finally on my day off from the ski area I got ahold of two live traps that I drove up, hiked in and set, baiting them with stinky wet cat food. I came back in a couple of hours and was psyched to find that I'd caught them both! Beautiful calicoes that some asshole had dumped in the middle of nowhere.

I took them home, which started a minor war with the two (rescue) cats we already have, but after a lot of feeding and care we got them spayed, chipped, and adopted. We named them Tess and Sookie, after the Tesuque (pronounced Tehs-sookeh) creek that I found them near.

Here they are, in kind of a box:
FA3B2764-808D-4FA8-8654-E9C3C9771969_zps5mpp7o8s.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So I have a cat story that's somewhat related to skiing. A couple years ago I was driving home in the evening after my workday at the ski area. The ski area is fifteen miles from town, the road goes through national forest. There are a couple campgrounds and a park along the way.

So about 5 miles from the ski area, near a campground but miles from any development, I suddenly saw a house cat crossing the road in my headlights. It took me a second to realize that it was the wrong place for me to see a house cat, but I pulled off the road and went to look for the cat, which immediately ran up the hill to a huge pile of rocks in the trees.

It turned out that there were two cats up there, and they were scared so they wouldn't come to me. They were plaintively, heartbreakingly mewing, and I ended up following them around in circles, trying to catch them, until it was too dark to see. I left, and the next morning on the way to work I brought up food, water, and a box with padding for shelter. I heard them and caught glimpses of them but they wouldn't come.

That day after work I went back, refreshed the food and water, and chased them around in the woods and rocks for over an hour. That whole heartbreaking scenario repeated itself for a couple of days. Finally on my day off from the ski area I got ahold of two live traps that I drove up, hiked in and set, baiting them with stinky wet cat food. I came back in a couple of hours and was psyched to find that I'd caught them both! Beautiful calicoes that some asshole had dumped in the middle of nowhere.

I took them home, which started a minor war with the two (rescue) cats we already have, but after a lot of feeding and care we got them spayed, chipped, and adopted. We named them Tess and Sookie, after the Tesuque (pronounced Tehs-sookeh) creek that I found them near.

Here they are, in kind of a box:
FA3B2764-808D-4FA8-8654-E9C3C9771969_zps5mpp7o8s.jpg

Not sure whether to "like," applaud, or threaten violence to the person who abandoned them.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I won't go into the level of human cruelty I observe indirectly via animal shelter volunteer work. Thankfully I also get to interact directly with volunteers and adopters with huge hearts who do what they can to try and pick up the pieces.

Good on PA, CTM and everyone else who goes out of their way.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
We have two rescue cats (SFPCA) and a rescue dog (Soft Paws Rescue) and I believe there is a special place in hell for people who hurt or mistreat animals. I was not actually a cat person, but they came with my husband as a package deal. To be fair, I'm pretty allergic to cats and went through 4.5 years of allergy shots that started shortly after we started dating (when I realized he was a keeper).

Still prefer dogs over cats (sorry cat people) - and you can see how handsome and awesome Ace is here: http://www.instagram.com/acesadventures - but we do have two cats who love boxes. Vido, our 15-year-old black-and-whitie, will cram his little body into any box he can find. Rocky prefers the dog bed to boxes, but will join his brother every now and then. Here is a short series:

You lookin' at me?
IMG_2088.JPG

The Cat Lounge
IMG_1836.JPG

Purr-fect size
IMG_1835.JPG

I can fit in here - watch me.
IMG_1973 2.JPG

Yes, Rocky is a very fat cat - er, he's big-boned
IMG_2251.JPG

Brothers
IMG_2502.JPG