• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing lightbulbs in cathedral ceiling fans

Kevin should...

• Hire someone to change his light bulb

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Hire someone to change the fixture so he can change his own light bulb in the future

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy a bigger ladder so he can change the lightbulb safely

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Buy scaffolding. He'll probably need it for other projects anyway

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Call Jersey Skier's wife to get a referal

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
So this is my living room:
IMG_0516.JPG

(I'm standing on the adjacent stairs). The light bulb in that ceiling fan has burned out. The bottom of the fan is 15 feet off the floor. We tried to reach it with a 10' step ladder the other day, but it was an (unsafe) stretch.

I see they make extension poles for changing high light bulbs; anybody have experience of using one to try and unscrew that dome? I'm worried it won't support the weight of the dome and it'll fall.

Any other suggestions other than "find somebody with a big ladder"?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't think it will work. I've only found those poles useful for removing high hat bulbs and such. The dome is most likely held on with screws on the sides so even if you could support it with the pole you wouldn't be able to get it off. Do you have a sturdy table you could put your 10' ladder on top of?

James

Out There
Instructor
Find someone with a big ladder. ogsmile How do you know the dome unscrews? Unlikely.
Note, window washing people often have tall ladders and you could kill two birds with one stone.

Otherwise, rent one, or use the $25,000 ladder- one that’s too short, or some furniture/ladder combo. When you fall and ruin your knee, or worse, you get your money’s worth. Seen it too many times.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm having the same issue right now!

Burned out lightbulb and dusty. People have offered to loan me huge ladders but getting a giant ladder to my house is another issue.

I remember stopping by the house when it was being built and the electrician had a step ladder on top of the closet to the left -- looked pretty dangerous.

Ceiling.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Having a similar issue in the landing where our Amityville window is. Not nearly as high of a ceiling but we don't have a ladder tall enough to change the bulb. The other 2 bulbs on the second floor still work so working off of those. Might ask our window guy or plumber when they come back if they have a ladder we can borrow.

Good luck.

20210719_100751.jpg

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
The 10' ladder isn't mine; it belongs to a firefighter friend of mine, and he said he can't "borrow" fire department ladders. He's ladder savvy enough that there's no way we're jury-rigging some configuration to get a little higher.

I have no idea how that dome comes off; I hadn't considered that it might be attached in various ways. There's another ceiling fan that's much more reachable where the light cover is screwed on, but it takes a decent tug... so I"m pretty sure a suction cup won't work, at least not the small ones I see on Amazon.

The "reverse direction" switch on the fan is on top of the unit -- i.e., it's even more in accessible than the lights themselves. If I call somebody in, I might just have them replace the whole fan with a different unit that gives me remote access to the reverse switch.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Having a similar issue in the landing where our Amityville window is. Not nearly as high of a ceiling but we don't have a ladder tall enough to change the bulb. The other 2 bulbs on the second floor still work so working off of those. Might ask our window guy or plumber when they come back if they have a ladder we can borrow.

Good luck.

View attachment 138053
The 'horror'? ;-)

I'd hire the window guys. They have insurance AND experience moving and using ladders in homes. Take it from me, there is nothing like falling off a ladder.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The 'horror'? ;-)

I'd hire the window guys. They have insurance AND experience moving and using ladders in homes. Take it from me, there is nothing like falling off a ladder.

Sounds like a fabulous idea to me. Jay has to come back to install our window and screen slider from the kitchen so we'll ask him then.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I remember stopping by the house when it was being built and the electrician had a step ladder on top of the closet to the left -- looked pretty dangerous.

One of my (former) colleagues a few years back fell off a ladder while cleaning his gutters -- broke his back, paralyzed from the waist down, etc. He later succumbed to his injuries, although frankly I'm not sure if "death" or "paralysis" is worse.

I shudder when I see what some people do with ladders.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd either:
a) buy a new ladder (if you might need one for other things around the house in the future)
b) rent a big ladder for a day (Home Depot or some other local tool/scaffolding rental place)
c) hire a handyman/window washer/someone that owns tall ladders that can do the work (Google should get you some references)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
One of my (former) colleagues a few years back fell off a ladder while cleaning his gutters -- broke his back, paralyzed from the waist down, etc. He later succumbed to his injuries, although frankly I'm not sure if "death" or "paralysis" is worse.

I shudder when I see what some people do with ladders.
I'm saddened to hear about your colleague.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I'd either:
a) buy a new ladder (if you might need one for other things around the house in the future)
b) rent a big ladder for a day (Home Depot or some other local tool/scaffolding rental place)
c) hire a handyman/window washer/someone that owns tall ladders that can do the work (Google should get you some references)

Could the answer be "C"?

Rent a set of scaffolds with the locking support boards, They are normally about 6' tall. Set up your tall step ladder on top the scaffold in a nice safe well supported location with somebody holding the ladder.
Great time to wash some windows or do some painting.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
<- is still amazed that there is a light bulb @KevinF cannot reach. ogsmile

Hah! My basketball dunking skills are somewhat limited as well. "White Man Can't Jump" or something like that.

The consensus here seems to be "call somebody in who knows what they're doing". This is going to be the most expensive light bulb change in history, but it sounds like I'm not going to be a handyman's first "I need to change a light bulb" customer.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The consensus here seems to be "call somebody in who knows what they're doing". This is going to be the most expensive light bulb change in history, but it sounds like I'm not going to be a handyman's first "I need to change a light bulb" customer.

Which makes it less of a ladder thread and more of a "Which LED bulbs are best for lighting AND longevity" thread, I should think.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Hah! My basketball dunking skills are somewhat limited as well. "White Man Can't Jump" or something like that.

Be sure to use a quality bulb for the replacement. :rolleyes:

@cantunamunch, you beat me to it. I can't say I have a great mind, but we do (sometimes) think alike.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This has “hire out” written all over it. Coming from a guy described by friends as able to fix and build anything.

HIRE A PRO. In out last house, we had a pair of hanging lights in a wide open and tall hallway. The proper way to have installed them, which the first owner did not do, was to have the chains run into an adjoining walk in closet, so that the lights could be “dropped” to replace bulbs and chain. Nope.

About every three years we would blow one of the bulbs. We’d have our electrician buddy come over, and replace EVERY bulb that we could not reasonably reach…inside and out. Spot lights at various peaks on the roof, etc.

Cost some money. We bought the bulbs. All good for the next few years….no falls, no injuries, no scares.

Some jobs I just hire out. Often those that involve electricity and/or ladders!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I'd just give up on counting on a fixture designed to move air to serve double duty as a lighting source.

Sponsor

Staff online