• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Compare/contrast: the four 2018 Fischer Curve models

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Contemplating acquiring a Fischer curve to further test the boundaries of groomerdom, but find the Fischer descriptions to be a little lacking in specifics. I'm leaning towards the GT but am wondering about the titanal thickness (0.8 mm x 2) - first time I've ever seen anything greater than 0.5. Recos?

Me: old but still can't resist speed (only under optimal conditions), 160 lbs, free heel bindings, current go to skis Stockli AX (175) and Nordica FA 84 EDT(176).

Considering more skis because, although all skis are good these days, they are all different.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I hear nothing but good about the Curv line from the Austrians at Boyne Resorts.
Which one, I don't know, that's your call.
Curv DTX in 171 would be different from anything else in your quiver.
The 178 might be a bit much at 160.

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So you think I'm emaciated???ogwink I am 6'1", so I got that going' for me ....

Stiff arthritic spine sez nothing under 174 allowed. I do have a couple of 180 skis in my closet, even a 183, so I don't think I'll be overpowered by a 178 in anything except an FIS legal GS ski. How is the DTX different?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I own The Curv (178) and the Curv GT (175). Both have the 0.8mm titanal and both are serious weapons. Between the two, I prefer The Curv for the straighter shape. Yesterday I skied a few runs on the Curv DTX with the 0.5mm titanal. It shares the same shape as The Curv and IMHO it's the Curv model that most people should have. I'd love to have a pair, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I wouldn't say that The Curv is a sunny days only type of ski, but the DTX feels more versatile and just as fun.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
:huh:

.5mm is what the rep said yesterday. Anyway, nice ski, no idea how much metal is in it. :roflmao:

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
And I prefer the GT's because it does have a little more shspe

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, after carefully considering all the information rich comments, I decided to quit skiing forever and take up knitting ..... or professional on-line gambling.
It's a tough call, I could go either way.

So tough in fact that I decided to just order a used demo pair of 175 GTs - seems like a tweener for the Axs and the FA 84s.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A nit:
https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/rc4-the-curv-dtx-27821

This seems to say that the DTX has 0.8mm. Year difference? Maybe feeling came from something else?

I haven't skied the new Fischer Curv family of skis, but looking at the website, I have to say that the marketing department has done a fine job of obfuscating the pertinent information. Here's as near as I can make out what they seem to be saying:

If you want a good ski to ski fast and make hard turns on groomers/hard snow and don't want a race ski (so that you don't have to ski at FIS race speeds (but still may) to feel that you are getting what the ski can deliver (and what you paid for), then you should be on the CURV. Choose the length/radius pair you're looking for 165/14 m for more turns on your way down the hill, or 178/18 m for bigger hills, higher speeds and longer turns, or 185 for big mountain adrenaline. At 74 mm wide it might not be as quick edge to edge as some skis, but it is more versatile and friendlier.

If you want something similar but wider so that you can easily do the same type of skiing as above, but in skied out old snow choose the Curve GT, which is 80 mm wide. Turn radii seem a bit shorter here than the CURVE, so maybe go long if you like high speeds.

The above two skis are near and at the top of their ability scale. The following skis are a little (not much) lower down.

If you want to make more quick turns on hard snow, but want some help initiating them, then get the Curve TI; it's "on-piste" rocker will ensure "that turn initiation is easier and requires less effort." It's 68 mm waist and 13 m at 165 radius shows that it is made for hard snow or groomers and is built to turn.

If you like the sound of the Curve TI, but want a longer turn and a bit more speed than it is designed for get the DTX.

caham212

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am trying to decide between the TI and the DTX. All of the above info is great but for obvious reasons I haven't seen any reviews about their performances at slow speeds. Can these be dialed back to make some slow runs and skidded turns with the family if needed or would that just be miserable?

James

Out There
Instructor
As long as it's tuned properly I don't see a problem tooling around. These are pretty beefy skis just judging by in store handling. Well made. I would think they are somewhat of a handful in moguls.

The store I was in had the baddest one in the longest length. They appear to beef them up by length. It must have been the 185cm Curve. Holy crap that thing is a beast. One of the thickest middles I've seen on a ski in years. Straight ski thickness. Heavy, solid. Really heavy...The owner said that this is the one Von Grunigen wanted to ski on. I certainly could see that. He said that if there's one bump in the trail you want to put it away, but on a smooth trail it's amazing. Very few people would want that ski. Probably a 188/30m fis gs ski would be a puppy compared to that.

God help us with Fischer. Just confusing. They seemed to be obsessed with "Curve" now. I guess it's replaced "Vacuum". It's now used on boots too. Like Rossi's "Hero". Just dumb.

Last edited:

caham212

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
As long as it's tuned properly I don't see a problem tooling around. These are pretty beefy skis just judging by in store handling. Well made. I would think they are somewhat of a handful in moguls.

The store I was in had the baddest one in the longest length. They appear to beef them up by length. It must have been the 185cm Curve. Holy crap that thing is a beast. One of the thickest middles I've seen on a ski in years. Straight ski thickness. Heavy, solid. Really heavy...The owner said that this is the one Von Grunigen wanted to ski on. I certainly could see that. He said that if there's one bump in the trail you want to put it away, but on a smooth trail it's amazing. Very few people would want that ski. Probably a 188/30m fis gs ski would be a puppy compared to that.

God help us with Fischer. Just confusing. They seemed to be obsessed with "Curve" now. I guess it's replaced "Vacuum". It's now used on boots too. Like Rossi's "Hero". Just dumb.

How would you compare the TI to the Hero LT TI?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
View attachment 43997
Goodness, 23meter sidecut in a 202 cm ski. Practically a slalom ski. How did they do? I wouldn't think you'd want so much sidecut for pow.

I am trying to decide between the TI and the DTX. All of the above info is great but for obvious reasons I haven't seen any reviews about their performances at slow speeds. Can these be dialed back to make some slow runs and skidded turns with the family if needed or would that just be miserable?

I spent a good portion of my season teaching beginners on the Curv GT, so I'd say it's easy enough to ski at slow speeds. I'd expect the same from any of them. I haven't skied a Ti though so I won't speak to that one specifically.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Bumping this thread because I just picked up the 2018 Fischer The Curv Curv Booster (aka "The Curv" - no suffix or The Curv CB). There are a couple places with great deals on these skis. PM me for details.

Fischer has dropped all of The Curv series skis for 2021. If you want a pair, the time is now to pull the trigger. There is nothing like The Curv skis in next year's lineup. Go figure.

A few points on The Curv. This ski is not quite a FIS spec ski, but it's damn close. It has the real deal Booster 2-piece plate. I noticed that the front plate is quite a bit higher than the rear plate. The bindings also come with a toe shim in the package. I have the feeling it has the capability to make the binding delta for the toe quite high. I'm going to have to be careful because I already have my boots setup with a gas pedal. More to come on this once I get the skis prepped and the bindings installed.

Another observation... the sidewalls are already prepped! They are skyvered above the side edge and the sidewalls are perfectly smooth. If only every pair of groomer zoomer skis came with this already done. Going to save me a ton of prep work.

Why did I buy it? Well after my experience on the Stockli WRT ST (172cm) I started looking for the "poor man's" version of the ski from another manufacturer. That's when I realized that The Curv could be that ski. If this Fischer can get me at least half way there to the WRT ST, I'll be a happy camper... errr skier. ;)

Update: I was a bit concerned about chewing up the tips. I do that to any ski without tip protectors. The DTX version of this ski comes with tip protectors, but The Curv does not. I inquired with Fischer and they're sending me a pair of the DTX tip protectors to install on The Curv. That's some nice customer service!

fischer_rc4_curv_booster_17_18_495242.jpg

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So Fischer is dumping the Curv line (most confusing model naming ever) and Head is dumping the Monsters! Some of my favorite skis.

I know, right? I think it's part of the "lighter is better" disease that has infected our sport. Hopefully they'll all come to their senses eventually. Clearly they're not reading the Blister reviews... ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bumping this thread because I just picked up the 2018 Fischer The Curv Curv Booster (aka "The Curv" - no suffix or The Curv CB). There are a couple places with great deals on these skis. PM me for details.

Fischer has dropped all of The Curv series skis for 2021. If you want a pair, the time is now to pull the trigger. There is nothing like The Curv skis in next year's lineup. Go figure.

A few points on The Curv. This ski is not quite a FIS spec ski, but it's damn close. It has the real deal Booster 2-piece plate. I noticed that the front plate is quite a bit higher than the rear plate. The bindings also come with a toe shim in the package. I have the feeling it has the capability to make the binding delta for the toe quite high. I'm going to have to be careful because I already have my boots setup with a gas pedal. More to come on this once I get the skis prepped and the bindings installed.

Another observation... the sidewalls are already prepped! They are skyvered above the side edge and the sidewalls are perfectly smooth. If only every pair of groomer zoomer skis came with this already done. Going to save me a ton of prep work.

Why did I buy it? Well after my experience on the Stockli WRT ST (172cm) I started looking for the "poor man's" version of the ski from another manufacturer. That's when I realized that The Curv could be that ski. If this Fischer can get me at least half way there to the WRT ST, I'll be a happy camper... errr skier. ;)

Update: I was a bit concerned about chewing up the tips. I do that to any ski without tip protectors. The DTX version of this ski comes with tip protectors, but The Curv does not. I inquired with Fischer and they're sending me a pair of the DTX tip protectors to install on The Curv. That's some nice customer service!

fischer_rc4_curv_booster_17_18_495242.jpg
You are correct, the finish on these skis, specifically the sidewalls is magnificent...this finish you can also find on the budget Curv DTX...along with the beautiful base structure.

Sponsor