• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cool Snowmaking Advance

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the main link for the company: https://www.renewsnow.ski/

And the description of what they're doing: https://www.renewsnow.ski/solution

Pretty interesting... capturing runoff to put through snow guns and avoid having to pump water uphill.
Also it looks like it's designed so it can "just happen" when all the pre-requisites are in place. I.e., you don't have to have a human remember to check them, then check them in the field, then pull the switches.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also it looks like it's designed so it can "just happen" when all the pre-requisites are in place. I.e., you don't have to have a human remember to check them, then check them in the field, then pull the switches.
Sure... but that exists already. Vail's been installing tons of them (among others too probably, but they've been promoting them).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Sure... but that exists already. Vail's been installing tons of them (among others too probably, but they've been promoting them).

Exactly - And the fully automatic feature wasn't coming through in the blog post.

Not to mention that eliminating one guy on a control board at, say, Wintergreen, is just not going to save anyone 30% snowmaking energy cost.

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
My understanding is that the biggest problem that ReNewSnow is trying to confirm with the prototype is whether or not they will be able to recover enough water to make the difference they believe is possible.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I read the profiles of the management team and these guys have impressive resumes. The concept makes slot of sense but the comment above regarding if they can in fact recover enough water to be effective and deliver the proposed savings will likely determine their success.
To me the fact they are willing to install the system with their money and bill the resort based on water volumes gives them “a lot of skin in the game” regarding the profitability of their system.
I wish them a lot of luck. They are looking for investors. It would take a real leap of faith I think to invest.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know what percentage of water is lost to evaporation? A snow gun generating an endless cloud reminds me of my neighbors who water their lawns in summer mid day by spraying a fine mist up into the air. If the lost is substantial, I wonder if they can freeze the water in a closed environment to trap the evaporation. Going back to my idea for synthetic corn snow...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone know what percentage of water is lost to evaporation? A snow gun generating an endless cloud reminds me of my neighbors who water their lawns in summer mid day by spraying a fine mist up into the air.

But evap loss is good in this instance because it cools the rest. :)

If the lost is substantial, I wonder if they can freeze the water in a closed environment to trap the evaporation.

TechnoAlpin already have a system to do that - the Snow Factory:

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
ReNewSnow recently completed the installation of their prototype at Saddleback.

As this melt-cycle finishes, the ReNewSnow team is looking forward to performing their first test of their system. I anticipate a preliminary report of their test within the next week or so.

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
Following the current melt cycle, ReNewSnow finally got all their electrical connections completed and declare phase one of their system test a success. The photo shows their gun producing snow. How much and for how long are still TBD.

Attachments

• FirstSnow.JPG
    FirstSnow.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 6
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Following the current melt cycle, ReNewSnow finally got all their electrical connections completed and declare phase one of their system test a success. The photo shows their gun producing snow. How much and for how long are still TBD.
I think I saw that yesterday. It's right below the base of the Kennebago, on skier left. Correct?

Sponsor

Staff online