• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Costco and Sam's Club, how I love thee....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, we have a Costco and Sam memberships and even as a couple we get more than our moneys worth not so much on saving $$ but the quality of the merchandise.

The Kirkland Scotches are fantastic for the price, the $17.99 1.75L is on par with most $30 750Ml. Bulliet Bourbon is $29.99 for a 1.75L, a helluva deal.

The Costco Ribeyes are a go to but I find our Sam's Club ribeyes are better (and sometimes on sale) and they have these killer 3lb bone in tomahawks that are incredible.

I do miss the $1.50 chocolate & nut covered Dove bars, they were OMG good. We have a couple of Costco's in Reno area, the one downtown is crazy, IQ of the average shopper has to be 20 points lower than in Sparks.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before the kids I was pretty fanatical against Costco. Everyone is in a crazy rush, everything is too large, and etc.

Oh, how baby formula, wipes, and diapers can change your mind.

All the original complaints are still valid, but the "savings" change the perception.

Now we have multi year supplies of: canned tomatoes, dried cranberries, cleaning supplies, paper products, etc and now can't store the cars in the garage. Our home is now a warehouse.

So all that said, our go to's (must haves) each visit tend to be: farmed steelhead filets, 21-25 frozen tiger shrimp, black forest ham sandwich slices, spring mix salad, each person's favorite snack(s), etc.

I don't seem to like beef at Costco and prefer the Angus at other stores. I 'think' I can taste the Holstein vs Angus. But, that's another story.

I used to pride myself on spending as little as possible there, but now just 'need' the 'deal'. It's amazing how the total dollar amount keeps climbing. Especially after the executive (or whatever) membership with 'cash back'.

Lastly, the best thing from Costco have been the Disney travel packages. We've only purchased once, but couldn't get over how it was so much cheaper then everywhere else.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Love Costco. But the size of items is usually too big for just me. So if it's not going to go bad....shampoo, laundry soap, I'll get it. If it's something that I freeze or is frozen good too.

Love their beef and chicken. Also some of the clothing. $10 work out shirts!!

We can't get liquor yet, but you can get beer at the Quebec ones. Nothing like 30 cans of Molson...

I don't think Sam's Club has made it to Canada yet.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We shop carefully at Costco...having said that, most stuff is of fairly good quality..we bought kids pajamas there..bear with me here..and they're cut straight in the pants..so they always pull down at the back. Like, panel folks, panel! :roflmao:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an experiment I cancelled my Costco membership and am about to try Sam's Club. Living up here, I just don't use it enough to justify the membership. Good to know Sam's Club beef may be up to par.

Maybe when my next group of visitors arrive next week we can grill up some steaks...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, we have a Costco and Sam memberships and even as a couple we get more than our moneys worth not so much on saving $$ but the quality of the merchandise.

The Kirkland Scotches are fantastic for the price, the $17.99 1.75L is on par with most $30 750Ml. Bulliet Bourbon is $29.99 for a 1.75L, a helluva deal.

The Costco Ribeyes are a go to but I find our Sam's Club ribeyes are better (and sometimes on sale) and they have these killer 3lb bone in tomahawks that are incredible.

I do miss the $1.50 chocolate & nut covered Dove bars, they were OMG good. We have a couple of Costco's in Reno area, the one downtown is crazy, IQ of the average shopper has to be 20 points lower than in Sparks.
Mmmmm Cowboy Ribeye with garlic herb butter. mmmmmmmmm

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Costco is about the only place I can find prime beef. I just bought a 16 pound hunk of whole prime ribeye for about $11.00 per pound. A deal!

Celebrating the Holidays tonight with some friends by having our annual “steak by the inch “ night. Essentially cut it as think as you want , season it up and put it on the grill! I pretty sure some bourbon might be consumed too! Which reminds me, I better shovel a path to the grill before my first hi-ball!

I find their house brand coffee K cups to be a pretty good deal too.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are coffee drinkers..not uber high end that some are here but Peets Major Dickenson's Blend. For $14.00 for 2 lb is about half price to what we would pay for it at the store.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We go to Costco often with 3 kids and there are many things that make it work for us. First off, their return policy can;t be beat. They take anything back no questions asked, except electronics, and their policy on electronics is much better than other stores.

Kirkland canned tuna is way better than even Bumble Bee solid white, though I don't eat it much anymore.
Their premium golf balls are supposed to be almost as good as Titleist Pro V at a fraction of the cost. I bought several dozen and have yet to pay them, but feedback on several golf forums say they are excellent value. They don't have them all the time.
We saved hundreds on car rental at Denver renting off airport.
The pre-made grilled chicken ceasar salads from the snack bar are a great deal at ~ $4.50, we always pick them up for work lunches.
For winter gear, the down vests, down jackets, and soft shell jackets are solid value without the name brand
Protein bars, bottled water, wipes and many others.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are also Costco fans. Just stocked up on 4 ribeye's and a rack of lamb. Always buy big bags of coffee beans as well. Robin has a pair of pj's from there she likes so much she bought 4 more pairs to give here sister, niece and a couple of friends for Christmas. I bought a soft shell jacket for $19 dollars that is pretty nice. Good quality goods there.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are coffee drinkers..not uber high end that some are here but Peets Major Dickenson's Blend. For $14.00 for 2 lb is about half price to what we would pay for it at the store.
Word to those who don't like 3 week old pre-ground Folgers. It's what usually have in the house.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As an experiment I cancelled my Costco membership and am about to try Sam's Club. Living up here, I just don't use it enough to justify the membership. Good to know Sam's Club beef may be up to par.

Maybe when my next group of visitors arrive next week we can grill up some steaks...

Word to those who don't like 3 week old pre-ground Folgers. It's what usually have in the house.
We can hit Sam's when we get into town.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to mention TP, i buy it by the case. If you buy it in your local grocery you might as well flush your money down the drain

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Costco's chicken noodle soup is off the charts. Made with the unsold roasted chicken, left over at the end of the day. Thick noodles, great stock, loaded with veggies. Sold in big containers. Learned about it from a ski race parent who would buy it, freeze it, fly across the country with it, and feed an NCAA team with it. Made us converts!

Costco, Sam's, and BJ's Wholesale Club are all great. Younger brother of a friend is the head wine buyer for Costco. Occasionally I get a tip to immediately buy a case of a certain Kirkland lot number. Good wine, at bargain basement prices. In fact I find most stuff is a deal in that department.

We buy a lot of meat, and bulk items at Costco. TP, paper towels, water, etc.

I've made the trip to some of the stores in Seattle with a friend who was buying unusual items at deep, deep discount. Cartier watches, for example. Seems odd, but the pricing is amazing.

My last eyeglasses were $250 there. Priced at $1100 at my local guy. Exact same frames.

They work for us!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I would like Costco a lot more if I can figure out why a quick run in for milk, eggs and a rotisserie chicken always ends up costing more than $300.

It is all in the cart you choose. Some are set-up to make you pickup everything you look at; some are budget carts, you must be selective.

Kirkland Vodka is /gray Goose (per a couple of bartenders I know and a daughter who is 13 years with Costco).
Concierge service on the phone, if they can't get you through the problem they connect you with Microsoft or whoever without the wait.
Their cheeses, YES!
Pretty much always ranked least expensive for prescriptions (you don't have to be a member to use pharmacy or optical either).

My personal favorite is their VISA card. I stay in a bunch of motels some years for work, 6 months this year. It will be a very fat rebate check this year.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a very selective Costco shopper. Yes on gas ... and for food: cheese, Foster farm chicken tenderloins, breasts, and legs, rack of lamb, bulk spices, walnuts and almonds which I use in cooking a lot, frozen Angus burgers which are great for a quick lunch when a bunch of teenagers show up to hang out, chicken sausage ... and there are various other things. No on beef. We have price wars in SoCal. I am able to get "choice" rib eye roasts and steaks at $4.99 pound on a regular basis. I have can have them cut to whatever size I wish and even seasoned which is never my choice. I love to cook and know my butchers well. In my experience, it is extremely difficult to tell the difference in flavor between prime and choice - if the chef knows what they are doing. :ogcool:

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Costco meat is.. meh.. better than a grocery for the price, but really, it's the same large feed lot type of beef. I mean if you've never had it direct from a small farmer, you don't know what you're missing.

They used to have some halibut I liked.. some off brand never heard of thing that is typical of Costco.. but now they just have Janes crap.. I buy saputo cheese by the ton i think..

I once found some K2 ikonic skis there.. now they have these weird skis.. https://www.costco.ca/Motion-Alpine-Skis-with-Tyrolia-Bindings.product.100384696.html made in Canada apparently.. maybe they're no-name renouns??.. probably not.. We should get some for Phil to review..

I spend way too much $ at costco.. even their online store.. they've got everything.. delivered to your house. for free.. ! HA! . I ordered a 22cu.ft chest freezer.. free delivery.. LOL..I live in the middle of nowhere, even the local appliance store wanted to charge me a delivery surcharge.. i cross shop amazon and costco online all the time.. usually costco comes out ahead..

Ohh they also sell Roces.. best kids ski boots ever..!

https://www.costco.ca/ROCES®-IDEA-C...able-16-18.5-Ski-Boots.product.100245909.html

Sponsor

Staff online