• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cycling in West Texas Hill country

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know the area but it’s been awhile. My only thoughts are wind- It can get really windy and the Little Riata Steakhouse in Alpine. Truly great steak if that suits you. Are you thinking of heading into Big Bend N.P.?

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I know the area but it’s been awhile. My only thoughts are wind- It can get really windy and the Little Riata Steakhouse in Alpine. Truly great steak if that suits you. Are you thinking of heading into Big Bend N.P.?
Yeah just looking at off the beaten track winter cycling destinations. Big Bend looks cool. I just don't know much about the area. Cycling safe? I know Texans are hospitable so not worried about that.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah just looking at off the beaten track winter cycling destinations. Big Bend looks cool. I just don't know much about the area. Cycling safe? I know Texans are hospitable so not worried about that.
If I were looking at Texas cycling destinations ,I’d recommend taking a look at the hill country outside of San Antonio - really pretty and unique. My only real safety concern is having someone roll coal on you. That can happen anywhere but it’s not uncommon there. Also, there can be big temp swings in west Texas in the early spring so keep that in mind. Big bend is beautiful and worth a trip . The west Texas access point by air is El Paso and then a 3 hour drive towards Marfa /Alpine.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, to get a look at the landscape, take a look at “ No country for old men” or “Giant” - both were shot in the. Marfa /Alpine area. Check out SanAntomio cycling club.org for general info.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it’s windy then there are goat heads, tumbleweeds and other assorted phylum flotsam and jetsam. It’s a big valley north of Big Bend with little wind break .

Sponsor