• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daily Driver Ski? | 99-108mm? | Salomon QST, K2 Mindbender?

eboake

Booting up
Skier
I've had really great luck getting advice on this site so I thought I would try again.

I am living in Fernie for the season we haven't had a lot of snow yet which has made me question my ski quiver. I've skied my entire life and spent 7 years doing a lot backcountry and touring in Whistler. I am 6'1" and 180 lbs. I am quite happy with my Black Diamond Amperage 115mm for powder, Dynafit Grand Teton 106mm for longer tours, Dynastar GS race skis for ripping groomers.

I am thinking about getting a daily driver for days without lots of new snow. I want something that will ski fast through variable snow and crud, inspiring confidence. I do not need a ski to carve groomers and I do not need a ski for deep powder. I will likely put a Shift binding on the ski because I can't help myself having the flexibility but they will primarily be used at the resort.

I have been thinking about the QST and Mindbender skis and would like advice on models and width given what I am looking for. I tried the Head Kore 99 and 105, I didn't notice much of a difference and wasn't blown away.

Thanks in advance!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(No time on recent QSTs, sorry.)

For a daily drive in the way you describe, the MB 99 over the MB 108, probably, I'd suggest.

I demoed and liked the Mindbender 99 and 108, this year's model (white). I bought both, the 108 in last year's version (yellow), which I was told was unchanged except for color.

I can heartily recommend both, with certain caveats.

Both are to me complex skis, sensitive to mount position, I've found. For me, they are best when dialed in on the slopes:
try it, adjust the mount point a bit; try it again and adjust, until it's right. (So I've used demo bindings or Schizo bindings on both.)

(Demoing them instead and adjusting them that same day to get the right point for you might work also;
it just would take me too long to do that to be practical in my case. )

I'm 5'10"/150 lbs, so you'd probably be farther back than I would be, and more likely to find the recommended mount point best in the case of both, though the 108 especially responded to some folks up to 180 lbs. better at up to +2.

For me, the 99 has been good to go at or nearer to mount point, and I've found it great for skiing "the day after" or "afternoon of" powder days, or here in Colorado, most days when the snow is fairly fresh and packed powder: a daily driver such as you describe. It's great also in fresh up to, say, 5", as a bonus. Fast. Almost bombproof, for me and a few friends. (Not sure about really heavy guys, though - those over 200 lbs; except the main K2 rep loves these also, and is a big guy.) In my case, it made the Bonafide obsolete.

The 108 is more of a soft snow ski, more at home if there is fresh, not as strong in the lower end of conditions you describe as the 99, maybe.

An additional problem I had with the 108: after seriously needing base flattening (done), I found my yellow pair to be less damp/stiff than the white pair I demoed. It thus gets tossed a bit more in uneven crud than the pair I demoed, not sure why: is it that the first year of this ski is actually often less damp than the second, maybe in spite of K2 intentions to keep them the same? (The rep assured me they're the same overall in general.) Or was it just a fairly large variation in the stiffness of particular skis, that mine were not as stiff/damp as the pair I'd demoed?

(I've since found that some folks I know feel the MB 108 is not quite damp enough in general for them, but the 99 is spot on.)

I still can't say for certain, but I know I may not be using the 108s nearly as much as I'd foreseen, unless I get somehow more used to them.
(I prefer skiing fast through variable & crud also.) It also may be that I'm just an old guy, and a younger skier might find them fine.

But the 99s are getting much more use than I'd thought, great ski for that.

Last edited:
TS
E

eboake

Booting up
Skier
(No time on recent QSTs, sorry.)

For a daily drive in the way you describe, the MB 99 over the MB 108, probably, I'd suggest.

I demoed and liked the Mindbender 99 and 108, this year's model (white). I bought both, the 108 in last year's version (yellow), which I was told was unchanged except for color.

I can heartily recommend both, with certain caveats.

Both are to me complex skis, sensitive to mount position, I've found. For me, they are best when dialed in on the slopes:
try it, adjust the mount point a bit; try it again and adjust, until it's right. (So I've used demo bindings or Schizo bindings on both.)

(Demoing them instead and adjusting them that same day to get the right point for you might work also;
it just would take me too long to do that to be practical in my case. )

I'm 5'10"/150 lbs, so you'd probably be farther back than I would be, and more likely to find the recommended mount point best in the case of both, though the 108 especially responded to some folks up to 180 lbs. better at up to +2.

For me, the 99 has been good to go at or nearer to mount point, and I've found it great for skiing "the day after" or "afternoon of" powder days, or here in Colorado, most days when the snow is fairly fresh and packed powder: a daily driver such as you describe. It's great also in fresh up to, say, 5", as a bonus. Fast. Almost bombproof, for me and a few friends. (Not sure about really heavy guys, though - those over 200 lbs; except the main K2 rep loves these also, and is a big guy.) In my case, it made the Bonafide obsolete.

The 108 is more of a soft snow ski, more at home if there is fresh, not as strong in the lower end of conditions you describe as the 99, maybe.

An additional problem I had with the 108: after seriously needing base flattening (done), I found my yellow pair to be less damp/stiff than the white pair I demoed. It thus gets tossed a bit more in uneven crud than the pair I demoed, not sure why: is it that the first year of this ski is actually often less damp than the second, maybe in spite of K2 intentions to keep them the same? (The rep assured me they're the same overall in general.) Or was it just a fairly large variation in the stiffness of particular skis, that mine were not as stiff/damp as the pair I'd demoed?

(I've since found that some folks I know feel the MB 108 is not quite damp enough in general for them, but the 99 is spot on.)

I still can't say for certain, but I know I may not be using the 108s nearly as much as I'd foreseen, unless I get somehow more used to them.
(I prefer skiing fast through variable & crud also.) It also may be that I'm just an old guy, and a younger skier might find them fine.

But the 99s are getting much more use than I'd thought, great ski for that.

Thanks a lot! Sounds like the 99 would be a good option for me.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I replaced an aging Bonifide (98 wide) every day ski with a Head Kore 93 partly because I wanted more of an hourglass shape.

The Kore 105 didn't blow me away either but the Kore 93 did. I have skied the Kore 93 in snow as deep as a foot on a few occasions with no problems other than realizing it would be a little less work on a wider ski. I do like to sink in and crank as many turns as possible in the pow so there is that to consider.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am a big fan of the MB99Ti, I think K2 did a helluva job with it. If you are looking for a charger, I think it is better than the QST, if you must have a Sally, the Stance 96 woudl be the way I would go.

TS
E

eboake

Booting up
Skier
Any thoughts on how the Mantra, Enforcer or Cochise might compare?

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am a bit heavier than you at 6’ 200 lbs and I have a pair of MB 99Tis that are great all round skis. They hold well for a wider ski and have enough float for some softer stuff. I have been very happy with mine.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the MB108. Mounted on the line. I love this ski and due to its versatility it is my go to when I am not sure what I will be skiing. I find it does a great job on everything from groomers, to the day after a storms, 12+ stashes. I find it stable and damp enough for me. I struggled in deciding between the 179 and 187, unlike a lot of manufacturers a K2's length is the actual stated length straight tap pull. Eventually I went with the 179. For me the added quickness over rode the slight loss of stability at speed. I am about 25lbs lighter than you so the 187 may be better for you. i'd ski them both.

Unfortunately given the snow in Colorado this year the MBs haven't been on the hill

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am 6', 240lbs skiing mostly Killington, Vt with an annual western trip thrown into the mix. I have 177 Mindbenders 99 Ti and have found them excellent for the conditions you describe - mixed snow & chopped crud. It is not an ice ski but holds an edge on hard pack and great for medium/large radius turns without chatter at speed - HIGH speed. Groomer zoomers on new corduroy are a blast. Last Spring found them nimble in western trees - Big Sky, Mt - and on large, soft moguls - Killington Outer Limits. Easily cut through 5-6" of snow gun fluff and good in 6 - 8" of fresh powder. For me an excellent all mountain ski for the conditions you describe. Attached are a few pics of where I have driven them.

Attachments

• 20200129_130337[1].jpg
    20200129_130337[1].jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200130_084620[1].jpg
    20200130_084620[1].jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200305_134211[1].jpg
    20200305_134211[1].jpg
    212 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200306_113358[1].jpg
    20200306_113358[1].jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200305_121839[1].jpg
    20200305_121839[1].jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 31

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’d just get these and call it good.

TS
E

eboake

Booting up
Skier
I tried the Enforcer 100 today and was pretty blown away, never skied anything like that.

Has anyone skied the K2 Mindbender 99Ti and the Enforcer 100? Curious about the differences.

Reactions: BMC

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I tried the Enforcer 100 today and was pretty blown away, never skied anything like that.

Has anyone skied the K2 Mindbender 99Ti and the Enforcer 100? Curious about the differences.

I have both and both are excellent. The MB might be a hair more playful with the Y-frame but that's all my somewhat amateur experience can tell.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

I think you’ve made your decision.

I can’t compare either ski, having never skied the K2, but I do own the Enforcer 100 and it’s a great ski as a DD in a snowier resort.

To be honest on seeing your quiver I thought maybe a mid 90mm ski like the Enforcer 94 might “fit” better, but if you’ve skied and love the 100’s, think no more.

You could tour on them. I suppose there’s no harm in putting a Shift on them. They are a double metal laminate ski though.

If I had a 2 or 3 ski quiver at a place like Fernie the Enforcer 100 would almost certainly by the base of my quiver, and my DD.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Some interesting comments here. This collective steered me towards a Dynastar M Pro 99 for similar purpose and looking it up further I found only positive review. Therefore this is what I am about to get.

FWIW if you intend to throw a Shift binder on them there is a significantly lighter touring version of the same ski called M Tour 99.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have demoed the Mindbender 99Ti (184cm) for a week now, had it on most conditions except powder and ice.
I am 6foot and around 180lbs
My very first impression was a bit of disappointment as to how much I could feel the 11mm extra waist from my Brahma 88. It certainly is not as quick from edge to edge. And to be fun on groomed runs I find it takes even more speed compared to the Brahma (187cm).
Since then I have grown to like the ski quite a bit.
-On groomers it's speed limit is very high, I have been lucky to ride it on pretty much empty slopes on occasion, and been able to push it pretty hard. I find that it is pretty forgiving in regards to weight shifts, to me it requires a sturdy turn initiation (a bit of shin pressure) to engage, but has felt very forgiving the times I found myself in the backseat during or at the end of a turn.
-Chopped windpack, very stable and I felt confident on it. Larger SG/GS turns with engaged edges is very intuitive and it is damp enough to go at it with speed. For shorter turns where I want the tail to disengage its fine too, just make shure to have the weight off the tails when disengaging.
-Bumps, solid and damp are the key words to describe it. Also I felt confident in recovering rather than dinsengaging and slowing down the times when I missed my line or otherwise got out of balance. The skis feel "quick enough", but there are quicker options out there.
-Powder, I have not been able to take it in anything deep and this is probably not the ski I would take on powder days anyway. But from the patches of powder 2-4inches that I found below the tree line the impression is at least that the tips wants to go up.

I have been considering somthing wider than my 88 Brahma as a new daily driver. Will it be the 99Ti? Maybe. I am also definetly considering the Bonafides but have not been able to test them on anything but a very few groomed runs so far.
Anything else I should consider?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I have both skis in our demo fleet and I like both skis. I just took a look to see if I did a Cage Match with these two but didn't.

Like I said, I have both in the fleet and I really like both. In this class of a ski they are almost all realy really good skis and none are significantly better than another. In my iniitail opinion since you were blown away by the Enforcer 100, stop drilling and and lamenting, buy it and don't question it and don't look back..other than to lament on which binding to put on it.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Any thoughts on how the Mantra, Enforcer or Cochise might compare?

I preferred the Mantra over the MB99. The MB99 is a tank but it felt like it, heavy. And not in a good way, they did not feel dialed, like a work in progress. The Mantra felt livelier while still being able to charge. It felt more precise on piste.

The Enforcer 100 is a perennial favorite as a do it all ski. It works very well in a wide range of terrain and snow conditions. I would buy it.

The Cochise is really heavy and loves to charge off piste and variable snow. Its a true high speed charger that still offers good maneuverability off piste.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Enforcer 100 is a perennial favorite as a do it all ski. It works very well in a wide range of terrain and snow conditions. I would buy it.

Yup, Swiss Army Knife of skis. Love the 100 and 88.

Sponsor

Staff online