• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo Day @ Schweitzer - 3/3

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey all - our demo day at Schweitzer mountain is coming up this Saturday. My wife and I are doing again as it was a ton of fun last year. She is on a mission for a mid quiver ski - but I am not really "needing" a new ski so I will demo whatever I fancy or is available at the time.

So - if there is anything or any ski someone would like some thoughts on I am happy to do my best to demo and provide some insights.

Vendors:
  • K2
  • Line
  • ON3P
  • Meier
  • Blizzard
  • Nordica
  • Atomic
  • Salomon
  • Dynastar
  • Rossignol
  • Head
  • Volkl

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hey all - our demo day at Schweitzer mountain is coming up this Saturday. My wife and I are doing again as it was a ton of fun last year. She is on a mission for a mid quiver ski - but I am not really "needing" a new ski so I will demo whatever I fancy or is available at the time.

So - if there is anything or any ski someone would like some thoughts on I am happy to do my best to demo and provide some insights.

Vendors:
  • K2
  • Line
  • ON3P
  • Meier
  • Blizzard---> Rustler 11, Rustler 10, Rustler 9, Bonafide
  • Nordica
  • Atomic---> Redster X9 (or G9 or S9, or all of them!)
  • Salomon
  • Dynastar---> X106
  • Rossignol
  • Head---> Kore 93, Kore 99, Monster 88, Head V10 and any of the Supershapes.
  • Volkl---> Mantra M5, Deacon 76

My list:

Vendors:
  • K2
  • Line
  • ON3P
  • Meier
  • Nordica
  • Salomon
  • Dynastar---> X106
  • Rossignol

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Please test the skis that are the coolest and most interesting.

Don't screw this up! :)

Seriously, I'm pretty interested in how the Monster 88 changes.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
My list:

Vendors:
  • K2
  • Line
  • ON3P
  • Meier
  • Nordica
  • Salomon
  • Dynastar---> X106
  • Rossignol

I have the Bonafide (first version with Carbon and love it). I rode last years version at this same Demo day and liked mine better - but could see that the new Bones was a bit tamer and more accessible of a ski.

I only took the Rustler 10 out for 1 run and want to ride it again. I will also take the D-star X106 out as I rode it 1 time last demo days and I am very interested in it. I am also interested in the Monster 88 and of course I have to get on the Mantra M5.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
  • K2--One of the Chargers, any one. You need to experience these.
  • Line
  • ON3P
  • Meier
  • Blizzard-Rustler 9
  • Nordica- Doberman RB
  • Atomic-Vantage 07 Ti
  • Salomon S/Max Blast
  • Dynastar- LEgend X88/96< SpeedZone 12
  • Rossignol-Experience 88
  • Head-V8/V10
  • Volkl-M5, Deacon 74

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Would love to hear about how the changes on the Solly QST106 ride. Same goes for if your wife tries one of the ON3P Jessies. They didn't have their women's skis done in time for Stevens a few weeks ago. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Atris, but I worry that the Jessie 108s will be the ones that got away.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Would love to hear about how the changes on the Solly QST106 ride. Same goes for if your wife tries one of the ON3P Jessies. They didn't have their women's skis done in time for Stevens a few weeks ago. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Atris, but I worry that the Jessie 108s will be the ones that got away.

I have a friend that skis the Jessie’s and she loves them. Will try to get some feedback from her.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I demoed the current QST 106's in 180cm and they are not really adequate for me for in bounds use. They had a more playful, light, backcountry ski feel so they were really good for powder and trees. Higher speeds and anything not powder snow were not really their forte. Maybe for MUCH lighter skiers it might work but I would size up for sure on this ski.

What does Salomon have planned for the newer version?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What does Salomon have planned for the newer version?

Basalt! Should stiffen & stabilize, but still maintain some play.

Definitely agree on the fact that they cater to lightweights. The women's version has received much stronger reviews, despite the fact that they're the same ski with a different top sheet. I also skied the 174 and really liked it, but at 5'2" I don't think I was the customer they had in mind for that ski/size

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok - so we had about 2.5 ft of snow the week prior to the Demo Day - sun and blue skies for Demo Day - boot high or more soft snow off piste and soft groomers. Great day.

I did not get on all of the skis I wanted to - pretty busy event - but did get on some. I will put my simple observations and thoughts I had while skiing them. Feel free to ask anything more specific and I will do my best to answer.

Volkl Mantra M5 - 177 -- first ski of the day! I was pretty interested to try these -as was everyone else (long line at Volkl tent) - I got 3 runs on them before I reluctantly turned them in. For the conditions we had - these were great (but all skis were gonna be pretty good). I have the Bonafides in 180 with the first iteration of Carbon (15-16) as a baseline for comparison. The M5's were stable, felt quick underfoot, playful, more compliant to various turn shapes and much better at slow speeds than my Bones. The Bones have a higher top end from what I can tell. They were good in the boot high soft snow - but I felt my Bones might have planed up a bit better. Great carvers - better than my bones. Less demanding than my Bones. Never really got any heavy chop but the chop I did get into - they performed well. I think the Bones are tough to beat in crud and chop and doubt the M5's will be quite as good. Overall - a really fun ski in most all conditions. What I thought was funny was the rep was touting these as a great carving ski - nothing else - and when I told him I expect more for a 96 underfoot ski than just carving he stumbled a bit in his response. In summary - this is a great ski and probably a better ski for me and my mountain ... hmmmmmm.

Dynastar Legend X106 - 182 I had tried this last year but conditions were not great for a ski of this size - but I liked them. I wanted to try them in the proper conditions to get a feel for them. Good ski - yes. Ski for me - no. Ski felt great carving or floating but the tip felt pretty soft and did not work for me in the deeper stuff. Not sure what it was. Could have been length for my size but this was the only one available at the time.

Salomon QST 106 - 181
I liked this ski much better than the D*. They added Basalt stringers (rocks - really?) and they say it improves the dampness and helps with tip chatter at speeds. I have not been on the previous version but these felt pretty damp and great at speed in regards to chatter. These are a great all mountain 1-Oh-something --- good on grooms, good in soft deep resort pow and decent in crud and chop. Felt light on the feet and quick maneuverability .

Dynastar Legend X88 - 181 I had high hopes for these but something was missing. They are damp - with 2 sheets of metal (IIRC). Great carver. Good off piste. Felt heavy. But - they felt muted - not a lot of feedback in any condition.

Head Monster 88 - 177
For the record - I have never been on any of the Monster skis. I do have the Head Rev 85 Pro in my quiver - which I like. WOW. I really liked these Monster 88's. Fun, stable, quick, damp, very connected to the snow. They felt stiff when handling them but felt great on the snow. I took these on the exact same runs as I did the Mantra M5 - and outside of the M5 being better in deeper snow (not a ton though) I had as much fun if not more on the Monster 88. They are so similar that I could not have them both in the same quiver - just me though. Really - really - liked them!

Nordica Enforcer 110 - 185 I have the Nordica Patron for my powder ski and really like them. I wanted to see what its replacement was like. The enforcer is stouter, better in crud, more all mountain performance, better carver. But my Patron is more fun, more playful, good carver, lighter feeling underfoot. Will ride my Patrons until they die I guess.

By this time I was pretty tired as I was getting 2-3 runs on each and headed into the lodge for some food and beers. I did ride a couple after lunch:

Meier Big Hoss (104) - 185 Planky feeling, bad on groomers, pretty good in the soft snow - not damp at all.

Blizzard Rustler 11 I liked these better than the new Enforcer 110. More playful in deeper snow which is what I look for.

Happy to go deeper if needed but I find my self thinking that I could swap my Bones for the Mantra M5 and be perfectly happy as it is less demanding and more playful. I also think I could swap my Bones and Head Rev 85 for the Monster 88 and add a Rustler 10 and be perfectly happy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun, quick reading. Thanks for the effort.

Very interested in the Monster 88 for next season's ski purchase, although REI dividends and dropping prices on RTM 84s may result in an itchy trigger finger next week.

Looking forward to official pugski reviews dropping soon. They seem later than usual this year, no doubt having been delayed by our endless discussions of LV and MS's Olympic results, behavior and attitude! ;)

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fun, quick reading. Thanks for the effort.

Very interested in the Monster 88 for next season's ski purchase, although REI dividends and dropping prices on RTM 84s may result in an itchy trigger finger next week.

Looking forward to official pugski reviews dropping soon. They seem later than usual this year, no doubt having been delayed by our endless discussions of LV and MS's Olympic results, behavior and attitude! ;)

I really liked the Monster 88 . It has me thinking for sure. I too am hoping for the more experienced reviews to drop.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
A couple things. The basalt in the new qst’s made the tips much more substantial and quieter at speed. Made a good ski great. You should have tried the two widest offerings in atomics vantage line if you liked the new mantra and didn’t like the legend. Completely different than the outgoing vantage and again much better in my opinion.

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
I got a top to bottom run on the new M5 Mantra today and my wife tried the women's version the Secret. Conditions were very firm, but the M5 had great grip on the groomers. It was good in the hard bumps as well. I did find a stash of old powder and they were a blast in that. I was skiing my SR95s prior to the M5. The SR is damper, but the M5 felt lighter and more playful.

My wife really liked the secret and felt it carved better than her Kenjas. Hmmm, not sure what to think on that one. Perhaps then Kenjas need a good tune or perhaps she felt more comfortable on the wider platform. She is a pretty cautious skier.

Sponsor

Staff online