• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disqualifications DQ in kids racing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
I'm curious what coaches or ski parents think about disqualifications in kids racing. Our family experience is Salt Lake City region and the the Teton race scene. In both the Wasatch and Tetons missing gates NEVER leads to a DQ. This is for U-12 and younger.

Some of the misses are really out there: missing entire sections of the course (multiple gates at a time). Kids even miss the last gate in front of the announcer and the entire crowd and don't get penalized.

I've asked coaches and other parents about it. The responses are very consistent: "Oh no, that doesn't happen here!" or something like it is the most common response.

If this was an acknowledged thing I wouldn't care. Something along the lines of "Oh hey, its kids racing, we're just trying to get them to have fun and enjoy racing!". But parents and coaches seem very intense on the millisecond results yet miss this.

We were in a Salt Lake region team which coaches cheating. They coach doing the top and bottom properly and missing in the middle. Their results are very good not surprisingly.

I'm finding it difficult to communicate to my kids how to handle this. They race against kids they are far better skiers than who smoke them in races. The other kids often confide they missed gates. It's like someone getting to the five yard line and the results show a touchdown. I have no idea if this is an issue in other divisions but these two areas cover some of the best ski terrain on earth. I struggle to see how this is not just cheating (the team we were in in the Salt Lake city area were overtly cheating).

If this is just a younger kid thing I think its weird but I can make peace with it. I'm curious if anyone knows if this still happens when they are older? Gate judges are a thing does this kick in when they are U-16 or something? My kids love skiing, really enjoy race training, but watching their faces when someone who admits they skipped gates "beats" them is irritating. Part of the problem seems to me that the parents are often VERY weak skiers - or don't ski at all - in these areas. I assume they really don't know what they are looking at. But the coaches know.

Any feedback welcome. You can call me a liar if you want :) (although I have two years of video of kids missing gates and getting scored). I'm hoping this turns into a real sport at some age if someone can convince me of that it would be nice!

Reactions: ejj

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is this USSS, D-Team, or some other type of group?

Here in MN, my daughter has raced D-Team, USSS, and State High School league. Ever since she started racing at age 6, there have been gate judges and DQ's at every race.

Reactions: ejj

JPL

JPL
Skier
I have never heard of this and I have coached for over 25 years. Missing gates is a DQ, I believe in the past a first run DQ resulted in loss of the second run, I think they have done away with that and everybody gets 2 runs.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Europe, Sweden here. Missed gate is a DQ even in U10. Better to learn doing it right from the start.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last time I was at a kiddie race (U14/12/10), we definitely had U10s on the DQ list. And that was very much a "crap, we have to DQ them" situation--they missed either the first, last, or delay because they got confused by the outside panel, and they very much were not in the faster end of even their age group.

I've been coaching U16/8s for a while, and we attempt to enforce proper passage at all races. We rarely have good gate judges enough to cover the whole hill, though, so sometimes things get missed. GS/SG is usually better because the whole hill is within eyesight of jury members or other officials who (usually) know what they're doing.

TS
C

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
Is this USSS, D-Team, or some other type of group?

Here in MN, my daughter has raced D-Team, USSS, and State High School league. Ever since she started racing at age 6, there have been gate judges and DQ's at every race.
Mostly USSA events. All the highest level races in this region have this problem (at least in U-12 and down).

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
If it’s sanctioned racing, that should not be the case. Never heard. Also there are bunch of on hill coaches and gate judges during the racing. Missing gates is DQ by judges.

TS
C

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
I have never heard of this and I have coached for over 25 years. Missing gates is a DQ, I believe in the past a first run DQ resulted in loss of the second run, I think they have done away with that and everybody gets 2 runs.
Are you coaching in the Wasatch/Tetons? I have no idea if this is an issue elsewhere.

TS
C

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
Europe, Sweden here. Missed gate is a DQ even in U10. Better to learn doing it right from the start.
It seems like the obvious right call to me. In youth soccer, I'd be surprised to see a goal being scored if the ball didn't go into the goal!

TS
C

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
Last time I was at a kiddie race (U14/12/10), we definitely had U10s on the DQ list. And that was very much a "crap, we have to DQ them" situation--they missed either the first, last, or delay because they got confused by the outside panel, and they very much were not in the faster end of even their age group.

I've been coaching U16/8s for a while, and we attempt to enforce proper passage at all races. We rarely have good gate judges enough to cover the whole hill, though, so sometimes things get missed. GS/SG is usually better because the whole hill is within eyesight of jury members or other officials who (usually) know what they're doing.
I guess that is what is confusing to me. It makes sense good gate judges are hard to find but I'm talking about missing three gates in a row or missing the very last gate right in front of packs of coaches/spectators! These are not "oops, that one slipped through" kind of things.

It sounds like it may be a regional issue if you are seeing U10 DQs. I agree that DQing a little one seems a little mean (I think that is what you saying?).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So slightly different world, we don't enforce actual hockey rules until over 10 in our house league hockey. We do start enforcing off-sides and icings at u9. This is written out for everyone though. House league is basically fun hockey. I don't know if the world you're in there is fun skiing... But the rules should be spelled out fit everyone. And you should follow the rules as well. If there is a tough section other kids cut out, you should too. Maybe they care more about fun than competition?

TS
C

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
If it’s sanctioned racing, that should not be the case. Never heard. Also there are bunch of on hill coaches and gate judges during the racing. Missing gates is DQ by judges.
I'm talking about USSA racing. There are a bunch of coaches. Any coach that I have asked about it has told me it doesn't happen. I have a lot of video that proves otherwise.

TS
C

Chrome

Booting up
Skier
So slightly different world, we don't enforce actual hockey rules until over 10 in our house league hockey. We do start enforcing off-sides and icings at u9. This is written out for everyone though. House league is basically fun hockey. I don't know if the world you're in there is fun skiing... But the rules should be spelled out fit everyone. And you should follow the rules as well. If there is a tough section other kids cut out, you should too. Maybe they care more about fun than competition?
" I don't know if the world you're in there is fun skiing." That is hilarious and sadly often true! Even at this age in ski racing there is a lot of intensity over results. The rules are spelled out that missing a gate is a DQ but it is not enforced. I don't think that matters at this age but pretending the kids are running the course properly seems innapropriate.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
" I don't know if the world you're in there is fun skiing." That is hilarious and sadly often true! Even at this age in ski racing there is a lot of intensity over results. The rules are spelled out that missing a gate is a DQ but it is not enforced. I don't think that matters at this age but pretending the kids are running the course properly seems innapropriate.
Yeah it's really related to expectation I guess. If we tried to call all the rules in house league there would be very little hockey taking place! :ogbiggrin: but the parents know that and don't expect their little Johnny to be the next Mike Modano. So it's all good. My u7 team was losing Saturday so we put on an extra player at the other team's insistence to make it more fair. That ain't in the rulebook! But everyone was happy.

At some level the rules do get enforced but again, it has to be realistic. And really at that age it should still be fun.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hockey is a bit more complex and not using the offside or icing rules for small kids makes sense. Not uncommon, same with offside in soccer––same for all and there's plenty time to "complicate" the game later. If you skip gates in ski racing, it becomes kind of pointless inmo, like not counting goals in hockey or soccer. Making the gates is what it's all about. If rules are enforced different for different individuals it's also unfair, and then it's less fun for sure.
In our club parents were offered education and training in course slipping, gate judging, start assisting, ski preparation etc. Coaches did a lot of volunteer work, so it was expected that the parents chimed in and helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online