• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good afternoon,

I just heard of a relatively new company called Glade that makes goggles, and I am curious if anybody here has any experience with them? It looks like their claim to fame is selling decent goggles at cheaper prices. I've seen good reviews for their Challenger goggle on Blister and Freeskier. I did a search on this site and couldn't find anything about Glade, so I figured I would post here because I value everybody's experiences here.

For context, I bought the Smith I/O 7 last season, and while the quality of the lens is excellent, I'm not that big a fan of the goggle itself. I've had problems with lens staying on, and more issues with fogging than I would have liked. I'm in the market for a new pair of goggles, and would love to not spend a whole lot (so that I can spend more money of lift tickets/travel :D).

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
They aren't that much less than a corresponding model from Smith or Scott, in fact they cost more unless you pay MSRP. The Challenger is $89, The Smith Squad is the closest thing* in their line. It retails for $100, but is easy to find for 40-50% less than that... how is the Glade "cheaper"? I mean, if they are good and you like their style- go for it, but comparing pricing of a spheric lensed goggle like the I/O series to a cylindrical lensed goggle like the Glade is disingenuous.

*high-end lens coating on non-spheric lens

TS
RJS

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
They aren't that much less than a corresponding model from Smith or Scott, in fact they cost more unless you pay MSRP. The Challenger is $89, The Smith Squad is the closest thing* in their line. It retails for $100, but is easy to find for 40-50% less than that... how is the Glade "cheaper"? I mean, if they are good and you like their style- go for it, but comparing pricing of a spheric lensed goggle like the I/O series to a cylindrical lensed goggle like the Glade is disingenuous.

*high-end lens coating on non-spheric lens

I appreciate the help. I didn't realize that you could find a Smith Squad for 40-50% off, that seems like a good deal.

I don't know a whole lot about goggles, I wasn't trying to say that the Glade goggle was comparable to the Smith I/O, I was just saying that the reason that I am shopping for new goggles is that I'm not super happy with my I/O. In the Blister review for the Glade Challenger they mention that "for that price point, the Challenger has a very impressive feature set, including replaceable lenses and straps, polarized and photochromatic lens options, and a sleek, frameless silhouette" - I was taking this to mean that they are cheaper relative to the competition for their feature set, but perhaps this isn't really true?

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Hey RJS did you ever purchase a pair of Glade goggles? If so please share your thoughts and experiences, they emailed me saying they'll have a decent Black Friday sale and I would love more info if you have it.

TS
RJS

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey RJS did you ever purchase a pair of Glade goggles? If so please share your thoughts and experiences, they emailed me saying they'll have a decent Black Friday sale and I would love more info if you have it.

I purchased their goggles with the magnetic frames, and I am impressed so far. I've put 2 days on them, on one day I used the everyday lens, and the other I used the low light lens. They fit very nicely with my Pret helmet. The quality of the lenses is very good as far as I can tell. I've never had an easier time changing lenses. I also bought a case for them, which I haven't done for Goggles before, to protect them in my ski bag. That I would also recommend :).

TS
RJS

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the update, I am going to give them a try too. I've had some expensive goggles that just didn't pan out and am thinking cheaper and replacing them more often is the way to go.

I think that's the way to go. $45-55 for additional lenses seems like a decent deal, so if a lens get too scratched, I'm just going to get another one. I had my third day of skiing yesterday with the everday lens and it worked out great. I changed lenses in the lodge before heading out, and it literally took five seconds with the magnetic lenses. I love it!

BaconTowel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I purchased their goggles with the magnetic frames, and I am impressed so far. I've put 2 days on them, on one day I used the everyday lens, and the other I used the low light lens. They fit very nicely with my Pret helmet. The quality of the lenses is very good as far as I can tell. I've never had an easier time changing lenses. I also bought a case for them, which I haven't done for Goggles before, to protect them in my ski bag. That I would also recommend :).

I did the same thing this year. Love these goggles! Magnet is incredible and been super happy with them overall.

Reactions: RJS

fix4all

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
What's the peripheral vision like? Have tried other brand goggles with that being primary consideration and the greatest FOV that I could find is on the Dragon PXV2. The lens quality and clarity of the PXV2 Lumalens is outstanding and better than the high end Smith I had prior (too much distortion). The field of view on the PXV2 is literally 180 degrees looking straight ahead.

After a few collisions on crowded days with narrow FOV goggles was time to make the switch. I wouldn't even be searching for other goggles, yet doing so because the PXV2 lens interchange system leaves much to be desired. Easy enough to do, yet the lens does not fully seat on the PU frame leaving gaps. Very poor design. Others have complained of this. A magnetic locking system is far superior.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Glades have what I'd call a solid "good" FOV. Better than my Anon M2s.

The downside is that the area I ski is infamous for fog and flat light, and I don't find the Glade photochromic lens to get quite light enough.

And the Anon magnetic lens system is SO good. Seconds to switch lenses. So I'm back to those.

I believe the newer Anon M4 has a very good FOV, along with the astounding magnetic lens system.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Glades have what I'd call a solid "good" FOV. Better than my Anon M2s.

The downside is that the area I ski is infamous for fog and flat light, and I don't find the Glade photochromic lens to get quite light enough.

And the Anon magnetic lens system is SO good. Seconds to switch lenses. So I'm back to those.

I believe the newer Anon M4 has a very good FOV, along with the astounding magnetic lens system.

Yeah and the lens selection is real nice.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Glade photochromatic lenses. They adjust to the light without the whole mishegos of changing out lenses only to find the sun come out or the fog roll in mid day. They don't go clear but I haven't had a problem with that. Also they don't fog up the way my old Smith goggles did. Finally, I really like that they come in 2 sizes.

Peppermint

Trying to Improve
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend just got the Glade goggles with the photochromatic lenses and he loves them. I have the Mag Flight goggles by Glade and I really like them although I don't think they make them anymore. They are fit well with my Smith Vantage helmet and don't fog at all.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January