• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a group, at least one of us carries a flask during the day (esp those bitter cold days), and sometimes at lunch, enjoy an (yes one) adult beverage. But, we don't go out on the mountain intoxicated at all. We want to have a great, safe day on the mountain, enjoy après' at the end of the day and do it all again the next day.

We have all encountered intoxicated skiers/boarders on the mountain and know how dangerous it is, not only to themselves, but to others on the mountain.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2355171/drinking-skiing-don't-mix

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think it depends if you look at skiing as a sport or entertainment/recreation. Those guys who are chugging beer in the parking lot and on the first lift ride are or are soon to be alcoholics. Drinking is part of their recreation and they do it no matter what the event, in some cases it is the event.
I tried skiing once while majorly buzzed as a teen and decided it was not for me. I try not to be judgemental but skiing drunk or buzzed seems to be a bit inconsiderate to me when you’re sharing the slopes with others. I would prefer not to share the road with drunks on the way there or home either.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Carrying a flask is something I haven't done but think about doing once in a while, if anything for those super cold days. I'm the most careful person ever and while I do participate in tailgating now and then and often have an adult beverage at lunch I actually get more careful rather than the other way around. Those people that get hammered and suddenly think they are Ted Ligety barreling down the mountain scare the hell out of me and I do everything in my power to avoid them. Everything in moderation. I save my "wild drinking" for when I go to vegas or attend a brewfest.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not one to walk away from to many drinks, and I will take the occasional nip from a flask on a lift ride but past that I don't drink and ski. I won't have a drink at lunch and when we are at "The Beach", I will rarely if ever go back out after having more than one drink. I just don't like the disconnect that I feel from being even a little tipsy and skiing.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Same opinion as @Philpug . I have a little flask but don't bother to take it with on ski days. A little nip seems like a good idea but in practice, meh. Or maybe I have the wrong liquid in it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have always that skiing is a sport with infinite variation for excitement, relaxation, or whatever you desire in-between.

I've never felt -- or understood -- the need to utilize "chemical additives" to modify my skiing experience in any way. The mountain, the changing conditions and my skill (such as it is) provides more then enough variation for my tastes.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The article said the guys in line were drinking Coors Light. Does that even count? :huh:

Seriously, a nip from a flask once in a while on a cold lift ride or a beer at lunch is my limit while on the hill. Two lunch beers = end of day. Save the :mojito:for when you get home.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I learned a long time ago, when I was a teenager, that you can drink , or you can ski. Muscles are too uncoordinated when exposed to alchohol (mine, anyway) that It becomes too difficult to ski at a high level. And too risky as well. Now all my drinking is after the skiing is done, and in the hot tub
I will make exception, on the sunny hot spring day, mashing the bumps all morning is well rewarded with a cold beer and a bbq burger on the deck!!
At the local hill, as regular as clockwork, the chair at the village chokes up right after lunch. The lift stops and starts and stops as all The non-skiers who just pounded 6 beers at lunch try and get on the 6person chair. The line builds and builds. It would be comical except for the fact that these dangers will soon be careening down the hill.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have always that skiing is a sport with infinite variation for excitement, relaxation, or whatever you desire in-between.

I've never felt -- or understood -- the need to utilize "chemical additives" to modify my skiing experience in any way. The mountain, the changing conditions and my skill (such as it is) provides more then enough variation for my tastes.

This^^^^^

Never mix your intoxicants. The same goes for music - I love music, but would never whip out my 'buds, etc. while skiing (or hiking for that matter), not even on the chair.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
but would never whip out my 'buds, etc. while skiing
How about the lovelies who have the backpack boombox and just assume everyone on the mountain wants to hear the latest from Deathmetal's Thrash Band? Another subject that should fall under "Etiquette".

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm, I drink for taste. Usually will have one for lunch, if there is a good brew. May even have one later in the day at break time. More apt to have a few more at local hill. Usually at bigger places not so much.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not one to walk away from to many drinks, and I will take the occasional nip from a flask on a lift ride but past that I don't drink and ski. I won't have a drink at lunch and when we are at "The Beach", I will rarely if ever go back out after having more than one drink. I just don't like the disconnect that I feel from being even a little tipsy and skiing.
I took a run after a Beach birthday bloody mary a few years ago and felt awful. Skiing buzzed is not for me.

As a group, at least one of us carries a flask during the day (esp those bitter cold days), and sometimes at lunch, enjoy an (yes one) adult beverage. But, we don't go out on the mountain intoxicated at all. We want to have a great, safe day on the mountain, enjoy après' at the end of the day and do it all again the next day.
I do like a nip from the flask from time to time, especially on a cold day. And, our occasional lunch cocktail is usually shared amongst a handful of us. Yummy but not buzzy. ;)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

I learned a long time ago, when I was a teenager, that you can drink , or you can ski. Muscles are too uncoordinated when exposed to alchohol (mine, anyway) that It becomes too difficult to ski at a high level. And too risky as well. Now all my drinking is after the skiing is done, and in the hot tub
I will make exception, on the sunny hot spring day, mashing the bumps all morning is well rewarded with a cold beer and a bbq burger on the deck!!
At the local hill, as regular as clockwork, the chair at the village chokes up right after lunch. The lift stops and starts and stops as all The non-skiers who just pounded 6 beers at lunch try and get on the 6person chair. The line builds and builds. It would be comical except for the fact that these dangers will soon be careening down the hill.

These! I don't carried a flask, but DH did. I didn't like the concoction he had in it..southern comfort usually. I bought a flask out at WB at the gathering. When I moved a couple of months ago I did find DH's flasks, but they are all round shaped, don't like the silhouette they create when pocketed. I wait till après for any drinking. I found a glass of wine at lunch does not make me a better skier. I'm not a beer gal, so it's Cider or Wine.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is a beer at lunch, and an occasional tailgate but that about sums it up in my alcohol department. There is nothing wrong with a LITTLE turn lubricant.
Those that attended too many safety meetings in the course of the day have my undivided attention as well.
Elevating your attitude is fine, just don't endanger me and mine please.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I also drink for taste not effect. Enjoy as you please but respect others around you.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
MRG in the late 70's. 7:30 am on the deck looking at everyone arriving... hootin and holleren with a few beers. Then Irish Coffee at 10am or so. Couple of beers for lunch and a coupe more 2pm or 3. 4pm all hell broke loose.

For me 2 beers and I experienced noticeable improvement in my skiing. Generally speaking as soon as I pick up the first drink... all bets are off.

I got cut-off about 20 years ago!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The article said the guys in line were drinking Coors Light. Does that even count? :huh:

Seriously, a nip from a flask once in a while on a cold lift ride or a beer at lunch is my limit while on the hill. Two lunch beers = end of day. Save the :mojito:for when you get home.
Beat me to it.

I'm usually patrolling, so no alcohol.

When I'm free skiing I will have ONE pint of ale with lunch, and a pint after the skiing is done. Like most here, I prefer not to impair my ability to ski.

However, I understand. I do get euphoria from alcohol, and remember enjoying the synergetic effect of combining alcohol with other enjoyable activities. I do recall that when I was still young and foolish, I sometimes could be found wired for sound with about 8 beers in me riding a 250 Yamaha on trails through the woods and going over jumps made with old car hoods around Fort McMurray Alberta. My friends were doing it too. So long as their skills don't get so impaired as for them to become a danger to others, l don't care what other people do.

Sponsor