• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Drive from SLC to Aspen

crawfaw2

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone know what the drive from SLC to Aspen via state route 189 & 6. Supposed to get a foot to foot and half over the course of my travel dates. I know interstate 70 and 82 will be fine but now sure of a) elevation gain/loss on 189 and 6 or typical conditions.

I'll be out west for work next week and plan to ski a few days with my son who working and living out in Aspen. SLC is going to get a good bit of snow this coming weekend, so I'm thinking of driving to SLC friday night ski Saturday in SLC area with my IKON pass and then drive Saturday night to Carbondale (Aspen) then ski with him Sunday and half day monday before a 3PM flight. (He works long days as a snowmaker so 3 days won't allow him to get some much needed sleep so i figure a trip in SLC is a good idea).

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you fly in and out of? If flying in and out of Aspen I'd stay put there and forget going to SLC. It's a 6.5 hour drive. I've done it many times in good weather without problem.

The section of 6 between Provo and Price could potentially be challenging in snow conditions. Includes Soldier Summit, not particularly steep, but it's elev 7500' and can be snowy and low viz in a storm. East of Soldier Summit 6 goes through twists and turns of Price Canyon, which is very scenic in clear weather but could be a pain in a storm. 191 between Price and I70 is mostly only two-lane, but flat and fast in clear weather. 191 is fairly low elevation, but might not be too fun if there is blowing snow.

Last edited:
TS
C

crawfaw2

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks Jim I’m actual in Vegas for a conference this week and am headed east Friday morning and have my flight out of aspen. My son is in full night work mode with the snowmaking crew , as such don’t want him to feel he’s got to hang out every day so I thought I’d hit slc sat and then head his way sat night but maybe it will be too much snow for a rental suv at night …was thinking getting to interstate via 6 might be better than taking 40 …

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Jim I’m actual in Vegas for a conference this week and am headed east Friday morning and have my flight out of aspen. My son is in full night work mode with the snowmaking crew , as such don’t want him to feel he’s got to hang out every day so I thought I’d hit slc sat and then head his way sat night but maybe it will be too much snow for a rental suv at night …was thinking getting to interstate via 6 might be better than taking 40 …
Also, consider animals on road on 2 lanes at night. Just saw some elk beside road between Hailey and Ketchum.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You will be driving in my country, but just to check I looked at Maps on my MacBook Air, which says the drive will take a bit over 6 hours (in decent weather) to go a little over 400 miles. Route from Sallt Lake City take I-15 South to junction with US 6 which is South of Provo. US 6 will get you to I-70 where you head East to Glenwood Springs and the right turn to Aspen. Weather will be the real question, but over 400 miles you can get stuff from fine to problematic on the same day. go for it and enjoy the drive. I usually fill the tank in Spanish Fork, UT and then again in Grand Junction, CO both for price and security should weather throw a spanner in the works.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If weather is clear and you're feeling ambitious you could stick with Vegas-SLC-Aspen plan. I was surprised to find out that route is only 3.5 hours longer drive than Vegas to Aspen direct. But if weather is snowy it might be a lot less stressful to go straight from Vegas to Aspen. One ski day each at Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, and Ajax would be a heck of an introduction to one of America's best ski destinations. (This coming from a Snowbird passholder.)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do the 6/70 drive to Aspen often. First, I really try to avoid drives like that at night to avoid hitting deer, etc. I'd say if you can do it during the day with a properly outfitted vehicle and appropriate emergency supplies, go for it. You'd be covering some beautiful parts of the west. But I wouldn't do it at night.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
ski Saturday in SLC area with my IKON pass and then drive Saturday night to Carbondale (Aspen)
Will be a lot longer than a 6+ hour drive to Aspen, if starting with a slow après-ski drive down Little or Big Cottonwood canyons on a snowy Saturday. Could work but it'd be a great idea to cut that ski day short, say 2:00 at the latest. That'll get you over Soldier Summit and out into the mostly-flat desert before dark.

From SLC, your timing means you want the further-but-faster I-70 route thru Green River UT --this route has slightly fewer twisty canyons (only a couple). The Hwy-40 route is fine in daytime, not much higher elevations than I-70, although either route can see plenty of winter weather generally. Yeah, watch for deer, especially the western side of Soldier Summit.

Speaking of deer, ski Deer Valley on Sat. -- from Deer Valley/Park City, the Hwy 40 route to Aspen makes sense and avoids down-canyon and metro SLC I-15 traffic. --thru Vernal UT, & Rangely, CO (hitting I-70 at Rifle, CO).

Thanks Jim I’m actual in Vegas for a conference this week and am headed east Friday morning
  • WILD CARD Idea! Ski two days +2 in Aspen! Brianhead in Southern UT on Friday afternoon, (3 hours from Las Vegas), stay along I-70 somewhere (but beware it can be 100+ miles between towns), ski Saturday in CO west of Aspen at Powderhorn or Sunlight. Will avoid a long post-skiing tired drive, plus gets you to Carbondale earlier. Sure, you'll have to buy a couple of (cheap) lift tickets instead of the paid-for-already IKON, but probably still spend less than venturing north to SLC.
More specifically for travel this weekend (Dec. 2nd-4th) the forecast here in Grand Jct at 4500 ft elevation is for highs in the upper 40's and rain during the day and early evening. Once you're beyond Soldier Summit, should be rain, not snow-- Price, UT to near Glenwood Springs, it's below 5,000 feet elevation between those points.

The other issue with timing is the early season-- Highlands won't open until Dec. 10th, and there's still limited terrain at Snowmass (No Elk Camp, High Alpine, or Campground lifts yet) although more is likely to open with the promised storms. You'll need to come back after New Year's, after human snowmakers get out-worked by Ullr.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I wouldn't do the extra miles to SLC . Ski Brian Head or Eagle Point on the Saturday then do the long drive or longhaul it Friday night to Glenwood and ski Sunlight.

If the drive is too much in one shot you could always stop in Green River.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Done the drive several times and pretty much it's what is said above. One additional piece of information I would add is that there is a pretty hefty section of I-70 between the Moab exit and pretty much the (Colorful) Colorado line with no services. US 40 is a great way to get to Steamboat but I wouldn't take it to Aspen. It also has a section with very limited services. Bookshelf Cliffs are very scenic. DSCF4632.JPG

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops. My bad for suggesting Aspen Highlands when it won't be open for OPs visit.

Sponsor

Staff online