• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Demo List?

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I will be doing some demos a week from now during a week of skiing. I only ski in the East (primarily VT) and only inbounds, but definitely will mix ungroomed, bumps, and glades with the groomers that are a part of every VT resort. I am not a bigger skier (170 lbs.), and like a pretty balanced ski between finesse and power. I only get 10-15 days on the hill lately, and am in the advanced range (not full-on expert, PSIA level 8+, 9-).

If you were to recommend only 1-2 skis as the ones most likely to please the widest range of eastern skiers in the 80-low-90'smm width range, what would be your "go-to's"? Should be a bit of an Eastern All-Mountain one ski quiver, so I recognize there will be compromises ("jack-of-many-trades, master-of-none" kind of ski.) On the list so far ... Kendo 88, Brahma 88, Kore 93.

Thanks!

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I will be doing some demos a week from now during a week of skiing. I only ski in the East (primarily VT) and only inbounds, but definitely will mix ungroomed, bumps, and glades with the groomers that are a part of every VT resort. I am not a bigger skier (170 lbs.), and like a pretty balanced ski between finesse and power. I only get 10-15 days on the hill lately, and am in the advanced range (not full-on expert, PSIA level 8+, 9-).

If you were to recommend only 1-2 skis as the ones most likely to please the widest range of eastern skiers in the 80-low-90'smm width range, what would be your "go-to's"? Should be a bit of an Eastern All-Mountain one ski quiver, so I recognize there will be compromises ("jack-of-many-trades, master-of-none" kind of ski.) On the list so far ... Kendo 88, Brahma 88, Kore 93.

Thanks!
I am an Eastern skier and I would make sure you demo the volkl Kendo.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I am an Eastern skier and I would make sure you demo the volkl Kendo.
Does the Kendo ski much differently than the Mantra M6 in similar length?

The skis I got to demo so far this week are as follows (not my original choices, but based on availability in my size from the 2 most local shops). Comments are based on my own skiing style, so YMMV:

- Blizzard Rustler 9 (Nice versatile ski, a little more forebody width after tip taper than ideal for me in tight glades ... had a tendency to bang together and occasionally cross in the tightest spots.)
- K2 Mindbender 90C (Surprisingly versatile. A lot softer than I usually ski, but pretty much handled everything without drawing attention to itself. Not sure how it would handle much harder snow/ice)
- Atomic Bent Chetler 100 (2 sizes) (So much fun in the ungroomed, bumps and glades! Not much for scraped off hardpack/ice. If I get 2 pairs instead of one, this will be the softer snow ski.)
- Volkl Blaze 94 (Very interesting ski. Did not expect it to initiate quickly and carve well with all that front rocker length, but it did a nice job. Not quite as quick to pivot/smear in the tightest spots.)
-Rossignol Black Ops 98 (Versatile ski. More camber than I expected. Perhaps the camber made it a bit less of a natural pivot/skid/smear ski in the woods? Handled it fine, but maybe a bit more "grabby" than ideal.
- Volkl Mantra M6 (Stable, handled all snow conditions. Felt a bit like a wide carver to me. The pivot/skid/smear approach in the glades was not its natural element.)

Lots of really good skis for different purposes/skier types. We shall see what tomorrow brings!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
VT skier of about your size and ability. I usually have 2 skis to pick from - a narrow carver and a wide(ish) all-mountain ski. That second ski is currently a K2 Mindbender 90ti. I am very impressed with this ski - great on groomers and very versatile for bumps and trees. If conditions are other than firm and fast everywhere, I grab the MB90ti. Note that the MB90ti was replaced this season with an 89ti, but I expect it will be just as excellent.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
VT skier of about your size and ability. I usually have 2 skis to pick from - a narrow carver and a wide(ish) all-mountain ski. That second ski is currently a K2 Mindbender 90ti. I am very impressed with this ski - great on groomers and very versatile for bumps and trees. If conditions are other than firm and fast everywhere, I grab the MB90ti. Note that the MB90ti was replaced this season with an 89ti, but I expect it will be just as excellent.
The MB89ti was on my list to try, but it was unavailable in the local shops ... that's why I tried the MB90C. Definitely interested in the MB89ti.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Would love to hear the differences you noticed. Thanks!

The 2022 M6 & 2023 Kendo is smack in the middle of my quiver. Both are very versatile skis. I am on 170 for both skis.

Both are decent groomer skis and great in the bumps.
The Kendo is stiffer and quicker. Easier to ski hard on it. Will kick you in the bumps if not centered. A bit more rebound coming out of the turn. Good snow feel.
The M6 is smoother in soft bumps. Softer feel on the groomers and generally a softer ski. It can be over skied very easily (at least for me).

IMO. East - Kendo. West - M6.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
In addition to the skis listed above, I did get to try out the QST98 the last day of my trip. Interesting ski ... would not go with the 98 waist, but at least made me curious about the QST92 as a possibility.

There are 2 other skis that have been recommended to me that I have not had the chance to try out; the Declivity 92Ti and the M-Pro 90. Both appear to have a lot of versatility to offer. Anyone been on these that can chime in on how they feel about those choices for the East for a relatively lighter finesse skier in multi-conditions?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
In addition to the skis listed above, I did get to try out the QST98 the last day of my trip. Interesting ski ... would not go with the 98 waist, but at least made me curious about the QST92 as a possibility.

There are 2 other skis that have been recommended to me that I have not had the chance to try out; the Declivity 92Ti and the M-Pro 90. Both appear to have a lot of versatility to offer. Anyone been on these that can chime in on how they feel about those choices for the East for a relatively lighter finesse skier in multi-conditions?
I just bought the Armada Reliance 92ti in 172. I've never skied them but reading reviews it sounds like what I was interested in. More of a groomer ski than powder ski. I'm 5'8" 150 upper intermediate Male and hoping they do what what I'm hoping for. The Reliance is the womens version but from what I read they're are identical. REI.com has them on sale for 325.00. For that price, I decided to buy them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am an eastern skier and one of the skis that I would look at is the Head V8. There is a review of the ski on this site somewhere.

Sponsor

Staff online