• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Tight Trees and Bumps

Murphy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello! I am interested in thoughts on a ski for days when there are 4-8" of snow that will most likely be cut up by the time I get to it but still have some in the trees. Most runs will be bumped up and ungroomed for days. I like the idea of an 88-ish waist for bumps but could go wider. I prefer very damp skis - like a Head Monster. Can you give me a starter list?

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think we prefer the same type of ski and ski similar terrain. Some people disagree, but I firmly believe that ~100mm ski is ideal even for only 4-8" of chopped-up snow. The good news is that the ~100mm damp ski category is packed right now.

A short list:
- Nordica Enforcer 100. beloved for years. Mount on the line if you ski more centered, or move the bindings back 1 - 2cm for a more traditional feel. It is also probably the best powder ski in the ~100mm directional category.
- Blizzard Bonafide. Super damp, super stable. The older versions could easily be sized down without giving up much stability, which is great for the east coast. I'm not sure about the newest 97mm one though.
- J Skis Masterblaster. on the "fun" side of this list, but still surprisingly damp while skill being easy going. This ski is great if you prefer a playful-but-damp ski and don't always want to ski all-out all the time.
- The new Volkl Mantra M5/102. I've only skied these for a few groomer runs, but they are solid skis. The 3 different turn radii takes a bit of getting used to, but I have a hunch it works. I generally love long turn radii, but even I feel like I could get along with Volkl's fancy sidecut. The 102 is a proper charger, the M5 is definitely softer and easier going.
- Dynastar M-Pro 99. Just a solid ski all around from everyone I've talked to. The Dynastar Beast 98 is also worth a look. It is cheap and capable. The Dynastar Pro Rider (or M-Pro 105 or whatever it is called now) is actually a good ski if you're heavy enough. If you want the most dampness possible, there is still nothing like it.
- Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS. they don't make it any more and it's not the best in soft snow, but it is a phenomenal ski and holds its own against most of these ~100mm skis. Definitely a surprise and feels a lot like the Head Monster 98. This is the ski I turn to for hard, icy bumps.

These are the only skis I can speak to directly - hope it helps!

TS
M

Murphy

Skier
Thanks, JShort! You read my mind on some of these. So here are a few questions/clarifications for you and others. I owned a 187 Bonafide several years ago. It was damp, and it was stiff. But, it was a different kind of damp and stiff than a Head Monster. We're getting into deep nuance and feel territory now... On the damp and stiff spectrum, I think you have skis like the Fischer Motive 95 (which is great) and the Bonafide (which is also great) and then you have the Head Monster. The Motive is maybe more pingy (not sure if that is the right word). The Bonafide is maybe more springy (again, apologies if I am missing the mark). And the Monster is heavy thud stiff and damp. Yet, it carves great and is fun in bumps. I just wish I could find a ski with similar feel that had slightly more rocker and slightly more tip taper for more friendliness in tight spaces. Hope that made some sense. Does that describe the Masterblaster, Enforcer, Mantra 102 or Mpro 99?

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
Now that I think more about it, there definitely is a difference in feel between the bonafide and the monster 98... the bonafide is a very stiff ski which lends to its stability, but the metal/carbon makeup makes it a bit more lively. The Salomon X-drive 8.8 feels a lot like the Monster 98, but it definitely won't be better than the Monsters in soft snow. You *might* have luck on the Kastle MX99 skis - they are roughly the same weight and shape as the Head Monsters, are definitely gonna be damp and *might* have a flex pattern that works better in soft snow, even though they have a lot of camber and not a lot of rocker.

The Dynastar M-Pro 105/Pro rider skis is damp in the way that you want - it is super heavy but not crazy stiff and it gives it a really unique ride. However, it only comes in 192cm, has a really long turn radius and not much taper and is not friendly in tight spaces by any means. The Volkl Mantra 102 is the dampest out of the skis I listed but they are more "lively" than the Monsters. the Masterblasters are what I'd consider a "capable freestyle" ski - stable and damp but with more tail rise and mounted more toward the center. I think the Enforcers and Mpro99s are good powder skis that also do well on hard snow and are surprisingly stable, but I wouldn't call them "damp".

If you can find a pair, the Head Monster 108s are a bit "looser" than the 98s, and I've heard that they are basically the same through bumps and tight spaces.

Another ski that I have not tried but would be very, very interested to ski (and I think you would be too) is the Folsom Blister Pro. They were specifically designed to be a heavier/damper version of good soft-snow skis like the Nordica Enforcer 104 Frees and might be exactly what you are looking for.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The bonafide 187 a few years ago seemed more than i would want for tight tress. But you guys might be better and bigger than me.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to me that a bunch of the skis suggested here are damp...but way too strong for tight trees and tight turns.
I might be mistaken, but it seems Bonafide, Kastle MX, Mantra have reputations as chargers. Good in mowing down crud, but not so good at bouncing around in trees.

If I were looking for a tight tree/bump ski, I'd go softer, more rockered, lighter. Masterblaster might fit. If you're looking 88 waist, maybe Brahma or Kendo or Enforcer 88/93. I skied Brahma in crud and bumps and liked it enough to buy it.

It's unclear from your post what is more important: dampness, crushing the crud, or dancing in the trees?

TS
M

Murphy

Skier
Great comments. I would love to try the MX99, but I think I am looking for something different here. I wish the M-pro 105 came in something 10cm shorter. Agree on the Bonafide 187...it was definitely too long for what I am looking for. Maybe a 180 though. To TCH's point, there is going to need to be a compromise. Damp is a big preference. Don't need to dance through the tight trees, but want it to be decent thru the trees. Thanks for the responses. Given me lots to think about. Mantra 102, Masterblaster, shorter Bonafide...hmmmm

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello! I am interested in thoughts on a ski for days when there are 4-8" of snow that will most likely be cut up by the time I get to it but still have some in the trees. Most runs will be bumped up and ungroomed for days. I like the idea of an 88-ish waist for bumps but could go wider. I prefer very damp skis - like a Head Monster. Can you give me a starter list?
RENOUN Endurance 88's

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Great tree skis typically aren't very burly or demanding like the monster.

If you can take a set of Elan ripstick 96 or 106's for a dance, try em. They are lots of fun in trees and will hold up well enough at medium speeds on groomers.

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have Monster 98s in my quiver, and love them as a "damn the torpedos I'm charging through everything" kinda ski.
But for me I don't find them fun in east coast bumps. For me they just feel "heavy" in the bumps, especially the firm/icy ones we get out east, but maybe that is partly my smaller size and lack of expert skills. lol On the flip side my Rossi S7 98s, while fun and easy in the trees, are clearly decidedly not damp at speed.

This year I got K2 MB 108s, and have been impressed at how for me they feel exactly in between the above two skis in terms of style/feel. Damp enough that I can charge with confidence, although never going to be as damp as the Monster 98s, and able to slarve around on a soft tail in the trees/bumps, but just not as low swing weight as my S7s.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great comments. I would love to try the MX99, but I think I am looking for something different here. I wish the M-pro 105 came in something 10cm shorter. Agree on the Bonafide 187...it was definitely too long for what I am looking for. Maybe a 180 though. To TCH's point, there is going to need to be a compromise. Damp is a big preference. Don't need to dance through the tight trees, but want it to be decent thru the trees. Thanks for the responses. Given me lots to think about. Mantra 102, Masterblaster, shorter Bonafide...hmmmm
What's your height and weight?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the Blizzard Bushwhacker, they are my go to east coast bump+tree skis. Not sure they made them anymore. I'm hoping Rustler 9 is the right replacement.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As others have mentioned, traditional skis like a Monster aren’t great off piste or in tight trees but there are lots of damp skis mentioned in this thread which would do well. Enforcer 88/94 would be good and the Brahma 88 a little more piste biased but solid and damp. Master Blaster gives up some hard snow grip but solid weight and it’s rocker profile makes it great in crud and fun off piste.
The new Dynastar MFree 99 might be taking the “soft bumps, fun in trees” crown if it’s as good as I’m hearing and based on it’s fantastic wider 108 brother. Should be pretty damp for it’s weight too.

TS
M

Murphy

Skier
K2 MB sounds interesting. Dynastar Mpro also interesting. Maybe an Enforcer. Or Mantra 102. I really like damp and smooth. They are always the skis I keep reaching for - even if they are more work. Curious how the M-Pro 99 and K2 Mindbender stack up. I am familiar with Enforcers. Not as familiar with Mantra 102 but have an idea.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think he's really asking for input; I think he's just thinking out loud and wants an audience.

TS
M

Murphy

Skier
Appreciate all the input. I have lots of new ideas to think about!

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
I was just skiing the trees at Killington last week on some MX89's and I thought they were perfect for it. That being said, I am a bigger guy (6ft 225lbs) and had a PSIA lvl 3 at one point (I don't quite ski on that level anymore).

Sponsor

Staff online