• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review El Capo - the best skis that Nordica got rid of

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
my first review http://www.epicski.com/t/127606/nordica-el-capo-185-some-camber-is-a-good-thing

me

32 years old
190lb
5'10

I can turn left and right basically anywhere on any mountain usually clean edge to edge.

Skis I currently own and use Alpine/At

165cm Rossi WC SL
174cm Blizzard X power 8 Ti
177cm Nordica NRGY 100
180cm Blizzard Brahma
183cm Amarda TST
185cm Nordica Patron
186cm Rossi Sickle
186cm 4frnt Renegade
195cm PM Gear Super Bro

Skis

185cm El Capo 137-107-125 (actually measure 187cm)

25 meter sidecut

Mounted plus +1 from the factory line with Attack 16s

note - this is the first review where I am going to do some number ratings. they are based on comparing to everything...

When I first got this skis I mounted it with a pair of Attack 16 binding using my newly purchase jig a rex and took it out couple runs on hardpack and then we finally got a couple days of powder 2 weeks ago from today(2/316). The ski had good edge hold but was impossible to release and was a pain to ski in powder. I took it home put my true bar on it and the ski was massively railed.

$60 dollars and edgewise base grind set to 1/3 and I was ready to try again.

Sunday was hardpack groomers that quickly soften up. Very crowded day I had a 2 boys who wanted to ski the steep and slushly.

Groomers

My review of this ski in Utah still stands. this thing is such a weird mix of charginess, stability, dampness agility and easy going ness. On groomers the skis can easily be brushed though any radius turn and will happily GS carve even on really hard snow. It can feel tough to get on edge due to it width but once it there the edge will hold or smeer and both feel comfortable. Deflection basically does not exist but it can still carry NRGY from turn to turn.

At the end of the day after my student had left and really got to open these guys up. My biggest worries was the crowd. the speed you can carry down steeper groomers like Nosedive, Hayride and liftline even with slush bumps all over the place is kind of crazy.

Today was weird mix of extreme ICE, breakable crust, really breakable crust and some good grippy corn where more people had skied. The do good job of not trying to force a turn size on your in the really hard crusty ice while still gripping. Even took them down some frozen bumps runs. they are work there but not much work. If you a strong skier this ski will be trusty worthy companion on any piste in the world. Maybe not the most fun but I could not imagine a day where these skis with a proper tune would not work. My X powers or Brahma would have been fun on top but both would have been eaten alive by the thick but breakable crust that formed.

Groomer ratings

Edge Hold GS carve- 8
Edge Hold Smeer - 6
Quickness edge to edge - 4
Pop - 4
Deflection - 9
Dampness - 10

Bumps

on sunday I skied a lot of steep nonrhythmic bumps on our front four trails and look out. These were mostly soft, but there was some hardpack, as well as grass rocks, and stumps. The ski actually manage to feel quicker here than on groomers and in my initial review I will stand by my statement that this is a chargery Soul Rider that is not really harder to use. Even in what I am sure was one of the biggest skis being used on Starr and goat that day I was having no issue slow it down with a round zipper to demo for my students , to smashing the front sidee, to mini GS turning and doubling/tripling bumps. The amount of option afford to me at least in these soft bumps by this skis was basically anything I could have wanted. The sidecut is fairly straight so the ski does not do anything spooky, the forebody is stiff so it can plow really well, and the tail is soft its forgiving of slightly mis balances but still supports, if you are pivot slam bump skier this review might not be applicable to you as I simply do not pivot slam,and you probably should not either.

today was a different affair everything with bumps was extremely ICEY even by eastern standard. Again damp, predictable but its size made it feel much slower in these condition. No ski would have been fun on the icey bumps today but a Brahma would have been best from my quiver. I have yet to ski them on classic hard but edgeable eastern bumps.

Soft bumps rating

Rounded Zipper line - 6
Smashing the fronts - 6
dancing on the top to avoid rocks and bare patches - 5
GS turn smashing - 9
Gs turning with double transitions thrown in - 8

Icey Bump rating

skidded rounded zipperline for survival - 4

Crud

Crud is many things to many different people and I will continue to update as I find new types.

Sunday's crud first was 4-5 inches of sugar snow top of hardbase, and by the end of the day was push piled slush piles with scraped off hardpack in between . on sugar ground up hardpack the ski was extremely predictable and it really did not matter if I found the bottom or not. On a skinnier ski in this stuff your boot can be deflecting of its sides and getting thrown around. ON this ski that was not a problem, the edge hold is fantastic not just for ski this width but for any ski of any width and usually you could just platform on top of the sugar and get alot of bend and dynamics from snow that can quite often feel dead on narrower/shorter skis. By the end of the day the slush and slush with hard pack in between was again a breeze. the straight - ish sidecut, tip and tail taper and modest rocker profile wit camber underfoot make this really one of the most forgiving in crud skis I have ever been on.

today was a whole new story. Freezing rain falling on warm soft groomed surface making for a breakble crust groomer. Where the crust was unbreakble this skis did a great job of just adding input. where it was breakable it would not fold and give up like an NRGY would for me sometimes. Again Nordica nailed the tip and tail profile of this ski. Easy to release even in breakable crust.

Crud will be updated as I find more of it.

Crud rating

sugar snow on hard base - 8
slush push piles bumps - 9
breakable crust on groomer - 9
Dampness - 10

There is still a ton of time to explore this ski since the base grind was off, I will not comment on its powder performance and I have yet to really ski it in the trees as well. Along with this review I just want to be clear that the numbers are based on all skis I have ever skied IE a 4-6 is not really bad when I am comparing it to a SL ski in that catergory. I really wish Nordica would make the NRGY with this construction instead of the neutered construction. A 90mm verison of this skis would be great but the NRGY 90 is simply to soft for me.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I also admittedly disagree with the blister gear review of this ski not being a charger due to it soft tail. If you ride on your tails like the guys at Blister gear review then sure it would be hard to go fast on, but if you are actually balanced this skis flat out charges.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I thought their complaint was a too soft shovel too -- as in you can't just load them up super aggressively like a Cochise/Legend Pro etc.

FWIW, I agree with your view. I just really wish I would've bought the 185 instead of the 177 but I was being a scaried cat after hearing it was very burly.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Saw that a few days ago and was planning on picking them up.

That is until my van died in nowhere Wyoming coming home from Jackson Hole. Now I've got a van that needs 2K+ in repairs a few hundred miles from home. No more skis at the moment.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Josh- Out of curiosity- why are you putting 3 deg edge on 100+ mm skis? The prevalent habit here seems to be 2 deg although I have seen a fair number of 3 deg as well. FWIIW, Dahron Rahlves was putting 3 deg edge on big skis as well, but when I asked him the same question at some Starthaus event, he told me that he just has that edge guide at home and that's what he uses.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also admittedly disagree with the blister gear review of this ski not being a charger due to it soft tail. If you ride on your tails like the guys at Blister gear review then sure it would be hard to go fast on, but if you are actually balanced this skis flat out charges.

I agree, the capo is enough ski for me. The 185 is more like a 188. I am enjoying this ski very much. It is one I can rely on no matter the conditions and really well in wind effected and breakable crust for me too.

StoicDude

Booting up
Skier
Took the El Capo 177 to Mammoth and the ski did really great. I think that it does really well for a 107 said ski.
I have the Moment Underworld and the Praxis Freeride.and usually compare these 3 skis when I go out and my conclusion has been that overall, the El Capo is great. The Freeride and the underworld are more fun for me in softer snow or powder, but the El Capo beats them when the snow gets tracked out.
For the sales that were running on the El Capo, I think it is on of the best values around.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Josh- Out of curiosity- why are you putting 3 deg edge on 100+ mm skis? The prevalent habit here seems to be 2 deg although I have seen a fair number of 3 deg as well. FWIIW, Dahron Rahlves was putting 3 deg edge on big skis as well, but when I asked him the same question at some Starthaus event, he told me that he just has that edge guide at home and that's what he uses.

well I have a 3 degree side edge guide as well...

The reality is you are not really gaining by having a less sharp side edge. If you want a surfier ski just vary base edge. My patrons are 1.5/3 and have played around with larger base bevels before but not that I am aligned a 1/3 is basically what I will stick on everything. I also got to ski this ski at 1/2 on some hard refrozen spring snow at Alta a couple years back, 1/3 make its way better on hard snow and so far seems to not be catchy.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
well I have a 3 degree side edge guide as well...

The reality is you are not really gaining by having a less sharp side edge. If you want a surfier ski just vary base edge. My patrons are 1.5/3 and have played around with larger base bevels before but not that I am aligned a 1/3 is basically what I will stick on everything. I also got to ski this ski at 1/2 on some hard refrozen spring snow at Alta a couple years back, 1/3 make its way better on hard snow and so far seems to not be catchy.

Makes sense. the argument that I heard is that 3 deg dulls a lot quicker, but I have not noticed it with the Bonafides- factory tuned at 3 I believe, I redid them to 2 at some point, and I have not noticed any increased edge longevity. I don't play with the base bevels as I only have a 1 deg guide :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree the El Capo was a ski put to rest before it's time. The Q-Lab and Sentinel were two others. Kastle killed off the MX98 before it's time but brought it back.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of Blister, they were critical of the Patrons for folding at moderate or high speed and not handling crud well (agree with crud being to broad a term). What do you think? Can it be an all day ski in the west on a powder day including after it gets tracked.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
IRRC, blister commented on the El Capo's hinged rocker profile, I don't think their review alone killed the ski. IMHO, I think there were plenty of other reviews that tagged the ski with the dreaded "burly" or "stiff" nomenclature on the ski. If you notice, almost any ski that gets that tag from ski, skiing or others is pretty much dead in the water except for the 1% of the market that actually seeks out that kind of ski. The BMX 108 (in 178), the FX104 (and almost all other Kastles in the mx or fx line) are examples of ski's that were tagged with this and pretty much died. Neither was/are burly. FWIW, In testing the El capo vs the Vagabond, I actually preferred the El Capo overall.

This is why Pugski will become a force in the industry. A place where ski's are evaluated by various skiers and a discussion can take place about how each ski relates to the skier and not just how it relates to the tester,

The sentinel was a fantastic ski!

Last edited:
TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Speaking of Blister, they were critical of the Patrons for folding at moderate or high speed and not handling crud well (agree with crud being to broad a term). What do you think? Can it be an all day ski in the west on a powder day including after it gets tracked.

I think it depends on the skier and the size but they are some what correct. Softer crud they are fine at higher speeds Id imagine the 193 would be better and its what I would buy out west. Your chance would better in utah or colorado but IMO for the faster chargery set , the tail rocker and tight sidecut make the Patron(And the helldorado) much harder to handle once snow gets variable. To be honest I am not even sure I would own a Patron in either size out west at least as a only powder ski. 2 years ago why I had my out there I was using them quite bit on powder days, but my 185 did feel fairly short and I am also the sort of skier that will search out the last little bits of powder in trees/tight spots and I am ok with slowing down though crud most of the time unless crud is all there is.

From what I have skied(or educated guesses) IMO the best all day powder skis for Utah would be.

Rossi Sickle ........if you can find pair still one of the best all around all mountain powder skis ever made. The Patron is quicker in eastern trees but the sickle is far better all arounder. I wish Rossingnol would update this line, or if anyone would make a 110 mm skis with low rise full rocker, no metal, 21-25 meter sidecut with a rubber layer.

Moment Blister Pro - a fatter sickle with some camber under foot

4frnt Devastator -closest thing to a Sickle being sold today. Slightly narrower and slightly more rocker but really really close. Full Reverse camber, 25 meter sidecut, and the new one has a rubber layer to dampen the ride like the Sickle. I will own a pair of these someday with my love of the Sickle and Renegade and this is like alove child between them I am surprised I do not.

Volkl Katana - Sickle with metal and better in stiffer snow.

in denser snow the ski reviewed here(ElCapo) would be a good call as well.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
IRRC, blister commented on the El Capo's hinged rocker profile, I don't think their review alone killed the ski. IMHO, I think there were plenty of other reviews that tagged the ski with the dreaded "burly" or "stiff" nomenclature on the ski. If you notice, almost any ski that gets that tag from ski, skiing or others is pretty much dead in the water except for the 1% of the market that actually seeks out that kind of ski. The BMX 108 (in 178), the FX104 (and almost all other Kastles in the mx or fx line) are examples of ski's that were tagged with this and pretty much died. Neither was/are burly. FWIW, In testing the El capo vs the Vagabond, I actually preferred the El Capo overall.

This is why Pugski will become a force in the industry. A place where ski's are evaluated by various skiers and a discussion can take place about how each ski relates to the skier and not just how it relates to the tester,

The sentinel was a fantastic ski!

yeah the thing is the Capo is stiff and burlier but that actually make it easier to ski and not harder. I am fairly certain that an atheletic Level 6 could have a ton of fun on this ski.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The problem is that the reviews don't properly describe or articulate that burlier or stiffer doesn't mean difficult. What they tend to do is add phrases like "legs of steel" or other vibrato that makes the reader (for the most part not knowledgeable about flex or shape) think they can't ski the ski. I dont think that just because a ski is stiff it should be called burly. This is common for FX's in the past where the ski has such an easy and consistent flex that any 6 can ski it that weighs more than 130# (or close). They are scared off by the term "titanal" thinking its just too hard to bend or control. The truth is there are plenty all wood construction ski's that are stiffer than some skis with titanal. I will say the new FX85Hp does border on Burly; it is stiff and can be handful in the bumps, requiring attention.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the 112RP hybrid for powder days but it is a ski that tends to suffer in the afternoons if it's a storm where it gets alot warmer through out the day. Would prefer a lower rise version.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think three things killed the El Capo...

1. A flood of One Oh Somethings in the industry, too many choices too fast and it was very confusing to the market

2. Not the best snow years in the market where a ski like this is directed.

3. Nordica itself. 3a, Comping out with the El Capo and Vagabond at the same time divided their own market segment. 3b, Graphics, again while graphics will not sell a ski, it will stop a sale. The El Capo's (or El Crapo) brown graphics were just not appealing. 3c, Confusing sizing, Nordica's interpretation of the metric system, a 169 measured a 172, a 177 measured a 181, the 185 measured a 188 and the 193 measured a 196.

I never thought the El Capo was overly stiff and thought it was a better Cochise in most conditions and I never felt it fold. I did ski the NRGy107 and thought it was nice and the best of the Vagabond and El Capo but that only lasted one year too.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So would you recommend these as the upper end of a 3 ski quiver on the EC? Currently have Latigos and Motive 95s. At $239 from EVO, I'm considering picking these up for the random deep day I manage to get to and to bring out West one week a year. Sold my old powder skis since I never seem to time it right for powder days anymore.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I would think these would not be the best upper end to your quiver. for one they are not actually that good of powder ski compared other skis with more rocker in the tip.

Despite their width they really are bigger mountain crud buster and all mountain skis that does well powder and is reasonably nimble but in my own quiver my Sickle, TST, and Patrons are all better eastern powder skis due to nimbleness in the woods and floatier tips. IMO your Motive 95s are going to be great in most light amounts of snow and in the after on cut up trails that why I suggest a floatier skis than the Capo.. When I think of east coast powder day, I usually take a couple runs on trails, then head to woods and mine snow till its gone.

with that said if your are not concerned about having the "best' then an El Capo will work well enough, and is better at hardpack and crud than any skis I mentioned about.

Sponsor

Staff online