• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Electric MTB---Wow!

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
This has been an interesting read.

I'm happy to see people out riding ebikes. I only see seniors on ebikes, never anyone who's ridding aggressively. They always have huge smiles on their faces. I see them on the trails sometimes and I know that on some of the switchbacks on the uptrack, they are cutting the corners early damaging the grass. This doesn't really bother me. The expert riders are the ones causing damage to the trails around here. They are riding the trails much harder and of course making their own. Riding when it's wet and muddy. I don't have a problem with this either.

I'm shopping now for a fat tire ebike set up for ski touring access at my cabin. Sleds aren't practical for me since the road is mostly at low elevation and sun exposed, ie dirt for 70% of it. I've been using a jeep/atv, but it's a pain brining in fuel (boat access only). We have a micro hydro generator for electricity.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Leaving aside the mtb trail access issue aside for a bit, I've recently seen two road e-bikes that I find intriguing (and follow the model I've wondered about for a few years).

The Orbea Gain and the Focus Project Y seek to provide a fairly modest level of assistance, in a package very closely resembling a regular road bike.

I think they both cut out at 25 kph, and have very little drag when not engaged. Plus they weigh around 24 or 25 pounds.

My wife is seriously considering getting one so we can ride together at similar paces, and so when riding alone, our local hills and headwinds don't discourage her.

Some positive food for thought.

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm shopping now for a fat tire ebike set up for ski touring access at my cabin. Sleds aren't practical for me since the road is mostly at low elevation and sun exposed, ie dirt for 70% of it. I've been using a jeep/atv, but it's a pain brining in fuel (boat access only). We have a micro hydro generator for electricity.

I’ve spent a lot of time on Fat Bikes.
I purchased my wife the Hal-e when the county ok’d Class 1 ebikes, on the multi use paved trails.
It’s a nice bike and the 2.8 Maxxis Recons are a good versatile width.
I think with the assist, the 2.8’s will get where you want to go.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just purchased this bike from Silver Stars bike shop. I'm going to install a BSSHD from Luna cycle and their 52v, battery, with the off road (1600watt) option. It's going to be a fun toy.
p5pb15768943.jpg

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year in France, a lot of young downhillers were riding long travel e bikes.

Which makes sense, they could get a lot deeper in, and that meant more downhill time.

Sponsor