• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Enforcer 100 vs 100Eight

Periosurg

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Please share your thoughts on which one quiver ski to go with for west coast Canadian skiing. Does the 100Eight do anything better than the Enforcer other than float, I assume it can't carve as well with very limited chamber.

Thanks

KT

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
They are really, really different skis. In my opinion, the Enforcer is a much better all-mountain ski. The 100eight, while good, is not a ski I would want as my only ski, while I would be pretty happy with the Enforcer in any condition, from boiler plate to bottomless (honestly, it wouldn't be my 1st choice here... but it would be on the list). The 100eight is just too limited on firm surfaces, it carves really well when you get it locked on edge, but if you try to steer it at all on firm snow the lack of camber really hurts it. It's light, quick, holds an edge (while carving) and floats... but it's performance on steep terrain with firm surfaces is impossible for me to overlook.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with @Mike Thomas, these are not two skis I would throw into the cage match together. Very different skis for different conditions and applications. It sounds like I like the 100Eight a bit more than Mike does but I have a different use that that ski that he would, plus I am not as big of a buy as he is and not as strong. I understand what he sees in his analysis but what he eludes to as limitations, I see as focus of the ski. I also like that the ski is perfectly sized as a 181..for me. I do 100% agree with him on the Enforcer being a much better all around ski and as a one ski quiver.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For many folks, these are both standout skis. The Enforcer was a top, maybe the top, around 100 ski I tried last year, very versatile, great turn. I even skied it on a 2 1/2 ft. fresh powder windfall day, and while I might prefer a fatter ski for that, the Enforcer was great, wonderful in deep. Its one weakness, for me, was edgehold on really hardpacked, steep terrain. But in the West, it holds an edge well in most conditions. And it turns in an incredibly smooth way; a standout.

I've only demoed the Volkl 100eight on a 2-3" fresh, early season day, when new corduroy or that 2" dusting were on most slopes. So I haven't had a chance to really find out what the 100eight can do, probably. For me, so far, it's not a ski I'd use on old snow or small bit of fresh days, from what I could tell from that demo. It held an edge and carved well, very quick. With a characteristic round Volkl turn. But it does not have the solid, damp, do everything feel of, say, the Gotama 108 - the ski it maybe will replace eventually? Not sure.

This ski seemed to be for those who like a good Volkl carver, and a light, quick, "light on your feet" type of ski also.

But to give it a second chance, the real test(s) of the 100eight for me will be how it does in deeper snow, and on more varied slopes. I hope to try this mid-season this year, another go with a ski lots of people really loved.
It's a Volkl, afterall. :)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Just from the dimensions and stuff I read in the past, wouldn't the 90eight be a better candidate for a one ski quiver, on the Volkl side?

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Just from the dimensions and stuff I read in the past, wouldn't the 90eight be a better candidate for a one ski quiver, on the Volkl side?

Got a ski buddy who hasn't been skiing long but has a serious elite athlete background and has made huge progress in a short time with his skiing. He's had the 100eight all last winter and simply raves about them. Seems to be able to do it all, effortless turning on and off-piste. Good on the hard pack and plenty of float when it's steep and deep.

Sponsor

Staff online