• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Epic Pass Sales up 65% in 21-22 Season

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Of course. Once Vail went public, their goal became maximizing profits for shareholders, not providing an exceptional ski experience. Vail is no longer "Like no other place on Earth." The more people who buy passes, the more profit, the more crowded the slopes, particularly at the destination resorts like Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek (which used to pride themselves at providing a premium experience). The number of people you pack onto the hill is no longer a consideration. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Count me and 2 of mine in the day pass cohort - had to buy early to access Northstar over NY weekend, which was fine for us, seemed 'reasonable' even. Sounds like a big bulk of the sales increase is from day-ticket replacements.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
With their early season price reductions I think many people purchased “passes” early for anticipated trips. I know I did as well as my two ski buddies fur our annual guys’ trip. In previous years we would have purchased day tickets or multi day tickets closer to arrival. I think the numbers are artificially elevated.

TS
backdoor

backdoor

Getting on the lift
Skier
I dug around and could not find any data on what percentage of the sales were 1, 3, 5, 7 day, or season passes. I would assume 30-50% of sales were season passes but if there were 2.1 million single day tickets sold I guess that would be ideal for the few season ticket holders.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s also keep in mind that as VR buys more resorts (such as the recent acquisition of Seven Springs, Laurel etc) they almost automatically gain more Epic Pass sales. Those resorts used to have their own season passes, and moving forward they instead sell Epic Passes to the skiers/boarders of those resorts.

Another example is Stevens Pass, which still has a separate season pass but they don’t sell nearly as many of those as they do the Epic Local Pass or full Epic Pass. Most of the time people use it Stevens without necessarily going anywhere else. Some of these pass holders will visit Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Park City (or more likely in the PNW, Whistler), but that doesn’t mean that all formerly-Stevens-and-now-Epic passholders flood the destination resorts at the same rate as the increase in pass sales might suggest. Travel to destination resorts entails more expenses than just the ski pass, so merely having the multi-resort pass doesn’t necessarily make it easy to swarm Vail, BC, PC, etc.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am forever grateful to Vail Resorts for starting the season pass wars 10 years ago and as a result making access to lifts less costly for all.

Not to rest on their laurels, Vail is now doing their best to make all non Vail resorts less crowded....bravo Vail. :ogbiggrin:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We already know the answer. PCMR has been inundated since it opened, far more people than in prior years, and, despite the dismal conditions, huge numbers of tourons.

jclee

Booting up
Skier
Went to Northstar yesterday. We were stuck in a traffic jam on 267 (road leading to Northstar) for probably an hour. Once we got to Northstar we were greeted with a 'All Parking lots full' sign. They did open the golf course parking lot. That one was filled up quickly as well. Then we had to wait 40 minutes for the shuttle bus (standing room only- at least half the riders not wearing masks) to come pick us up. Once on the mountain, the lift from mid mountain to the top of the mountain was easily another 30+ minute wait. On the way back the line for the regular parking lot shuttle was so long I couldn't see the end of it. It was Disneyland level of frustration. They need to bring back the reservation system. The Vail pass has been great for us, but this level of frustration is not worth the discount.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
PCMR was basically unskiable today. There were more skiers per surface area than I have ever seen in 35 seasons skiing there. Couple that with lifts that grind to lengthy halts every 20-30 seconds and there is no possible discount, including no charge at all, that makes it worth it. In case there should be a doubt, let me stress that I loathe Vail with every fibre of my being!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
VR has staffing issues, at least at Stevens Pass. Park Crew jackets sometimes running lifts, one particular expert-only lift manned exclusively by Ski Patrol this season, and not enough staff with hand scanners in the lift lines. In the past (before VR) they had RFID turnstiles that worked just fine, they didn’t rely so much on J-1 visas to fill positions, they didn’t have problems recruiting staff, the website was updated frequently and operating decisions could be made locally. They have lifts and terrain with enough coverage but not enough staff to open. With peak season starting 12/25 (at least as far as blackout dates), you’d think they’d have made an extra effort to get enough staff to open as much as they can.

It seems VR has adapted to Covid by cutting their passes by 20% but also cutting staff, which is no longer only marketing and customer service, but now mountain operations. OK, maybe they haven’t cut staff but rather haven’t actively recruited seasonal staff effectively. You know, because the people who used to recruit seasonal staff have been cut.

Whatever. Stevens is the closest ski area for me, but I’m almost ready to forget that I have my Stevens Select mid-week pass and drive an hour further to Crystal all the freaking time (I also have an Ikon). But then, I will have given VR my money without using the pass, and they will have won. No, I have to go there so many times they’ll regret selling me the pass, bwah ha ha ha….

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good point above about Epic Day Passes. They are advance purchase, non-transferable single or multi-day tickets. Use it or lose it. If these count as "passes," well, yeah, the numbers are way up.

A group I know is going to Vail. Seven bought Epic 5-day passes through the authorized travel agent. The agent gave VR the individuals name, address, etc., and the money. Four have received their day passes. Three have not. VR now won't work with agents, they tell the individuals to deal directly with VR customer service. But--the individuals have no info to give the customer serpents except their name, and that hasn't been working.

I understand about the difficulty hiring help. Washington State 2022 minimum wage is $14.49 per hour, up from $13.69 last year. Workers can get a better job with regular hours at $15.50 or more in fast food and find housing better than VR employee housing which sounds like the housing for migrant farm workers. Last year at Stevens Pass the word going around was that the few lift operators working that day had noon meetings and some were sent home regardless of the snow coverage or lift lines. I saw lifts operating with no one to scan tickets. Last year Stevens Pass had an RV lot on the map, reservations required. Without telling anyone they converted most of it to car parking. RV owners could never get a reservation and didn't know why. That's just sleazy. Here is the current petition to Vail Resorts: https://www.change.org/p/vail-resorts-hold-vail-resorts-accountable

Excerpts from Vail Resorts July 31, 2021 10-K annual report:
"Our business depends on the quality and reputation of our brands, and any deterioration in the quality or reputation of these brands,...may reduce visitation and negatively impact our operations."
"We are subject to risks associated with our workforce, including increased labor costs." "During Fiscal 2021, we announced a substantial investment in our employees by increasing the minimum wage to $15 at our Resorts across Colorado, California, Utah, Washington, New York and Vermont, as well as other increases at our Resorts in the eastern U.S. From time to time, we have also experienced non-union employees attempting to unionize. While only a very small portion of our employees are unionized at present, we may experience additional union activity in the future, which could lead to disruptions in our business, increases in our operating costs and/or constraints on our operating flexibility."
"Our mountain and lodging operations are highly dependent on a large seasonal workforce. We recruit year-round to fill thousands of seasonal staffing needs each season and work to manage seasonal wages and the timing of the hiring process to ensure the appropriate workforce is in place."
"A shortage of international workers based on immigration and cultural exchange limitations, failure to recruit and retain new domestic employees in a timely manner, higher than expected attrition levels, or increased wages all could affect our ability to open and operate parts of our Resorts, deliver guest service at traditional margins or achieve our labor cost objectives."
Total liabilities (money they owe) is $4,421,988,000, up from $3.7b last year. Long term debt is $2.7b. 2021 lift ticket revenue is $1,076,578,000. Ski school revenue is $144,227,000. Profit per share of stock is $3.17 in 2021, up from $2.45 in 2020, down from $7.46 in 2019. 2021 effective tax rate 0.6%.

Everyone must tighten their belt. Rob Katz, CEO until recently, only made $3.7 mil in fiscal year 2021.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping for a Yogi Berra moment.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm hoping for a Yogi Berra moment.
I am not a baseball fan so it took me a while to figure out what a Yogi Berra moment was. Then it hit me: "It's too crowded, so no one goes there anymore". :golfclap:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think this is a natural consequence of allowing a duopoly to develop across major resorts. Vail are not doing more because they do not give a shit about paying customers (weird you'd think they'd at least want to show the tourists with high rev/day a good time). Despite the noises and posturing people will hum and hah, maybe not renew as early (so expect some leverage on the re-upping in April decision) but when it comes down to it and they are looking at Labour Day without a season pass and the inconvenience of travelling further to indy mountains they'll plonk down again.

In short Vail have already bought the US ski industry - you need to leave the country to escape their influence.

Sponsor

Staff online