• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite lightweight binding?

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
My 16 y-o daughter is getting a new pair of western mountain skis. I need a lightweight binding for a @97mm ski for a 105 lb. racer. Looked at the Marker run down and there are several 4-10/12 options. Which one is a fav? Other makers are good too.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 16 y-o daughter is getting a new pair of western mountain skis. I need a lightweight binding for a @97mm ski for a 105 lb. racer. Looked at the Marker run down and there are several 4-10/12 options. Which one is a fav? Other makers are good too.
Does your daughter like her knees? Does she want to avoid injury so she can continue to use them into old age?

Then forget about weight and get a binding that protects her knees. Tyrolia Protector SLR goes down to DIN 3.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Does your daughter like her knees? Does she want to avoid injury so she can continue to use them into old age?

Then forget about weight and get a binding that protects her knees. Tyrolia Protector SLR goes down to DIN 3.
This is something I hadn't considered, and not a bad idea. I've seen so many young women dealing with ACL damage from skiing and soccer.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is something I hadn't considered, and not a bad idea. I've seen so many young women dealing with ACL damage from skiing and soccer.
Yes. And I see it in volleyball. I'm a huge believer in preventive injury tech. In volleyball we have less ACL injuries, but are plagued with ankle injuries: A blocker or hitter comes down on someones foot and the angle rolls to the outside. Last year we had about 7 injuries; one or two were season ending. This year we spent the money and put the whole team in ankle braces. To date we've had 4 injuries, all of which took place with kids who forgot their braces at home. In other words, no one wearing braces has been injured this season. Yet in volleyball we continue to hear the same old BS that braces cause a lack of strength in ankles causing more injuries or that braces limit vertical jump. In skiing we sometimes hear similar BS regarding Protector: the stack height is too high or that it will lead to dangerous pre-release conditions.

Reactions: ejj

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For a strong teen adult bindings are the way to go. My kid busted shop mounted adult 11 dins when he was 12, and wasn’t even big yet (but liked big stuff). It would be cool to see a quality 11 din with strong lightweigh components, but I imagine it would make the cost go way up. Dang I am down to 8.25 and had some not so smooth landings last year with no release. Good thing I live in the east :)

Reactions: ejj

Sponsor

Staff online