• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Between Kremling and Steamboat Springs.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Less than an hour from my house. Might have to check it out next month...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool concept. Thanks @Mike King for posting that.

I do wonder about a few things. When I first read the title, basicaly describing a lift free ski area, I figured their market would be for:
  • Solo skiers
  • people interested in backcountry skiing, but with little or no avalanche skills
  • any backcountry skiers during times of high avalanche ratings
  • people wanting to get in some quick training miles, without having to spend time dealing with navigation and avalanche conditions.
  • basically the same people who currently skin uphill in resorts.
But when I read the article, two things stood out to me:
  • The ’unguided’ section is only 300 acres
  • they won’t use explosives for mitigation
Reading that, makes me wonder how much they can offer the users I described above. If they have to close terrain(as mentioned in the article), with less than 300 acres for free skiing to start with, does that leave enough terrain to spread out people and offer variety for returning customers?
Especially at $50/day.

The other thing they talk about a lot is the guided and instructional options. Always great to see more of that, but there is nothing unique about that. There are plenty of places where you can get guided backcountry ski trips or courses.

edited to take into account @pais alto is comments below

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nitpick: Depending on the terrain, explosives aren‘t necessarily required to mitigate avy danger. Ski cuts are used successfully and exclusively on many runs at many resorts, especially in narrower runs and below timberline.

I’m not saying for certain that’s the case at Bluebird, but without seeing the place it’s a bit hasty to critique their mitigation operations.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not the same set up at all, but defintely with many of the same goals and market, this add is in Backcountry Magazine:
9538EEBE-132B-4CD8-8C14-D7BE00446F64.jpeg

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nitpick: Depending on the terrain, explosives aren‘t necessarily required to mitigate avy danger. Ski cuts are used successfully and exclusively on many runs at many resorts, especially in narrower runs and below timberline.

I’m not saying for certain that’s the case at Bluebird, but without seeing the place it’s a bit hasty to critique their mitigation operations.
You are right. And unlike you, I am not a ski patroller. I was wondering how to phrase that.
It was absolutely not meant as a criticism of their mitigation systems, as I have all faith that they will follow all safety standards.
What stood out to me, was that right of the bat they are excluding one of the options in the mitigation toolbox (assume there are legal or insurance reason for that).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
So, $50 entrance fee gives access to only 300 acres but another $50 gives guided access to the much larger 1,200 acres. But for a $100+ lift ticket at some resorts you get access to hike-to side country and this might be the better deal.

And as Slim mentioned, no use of explosives for avy control, just terrain closures, is no different than an individual deciding to forgo a backcountry trip do to avy risk rating of "considerable" or whatever.

OTOH this project may be perfect for beginner backcountry skiers who lack an experienced mentor/partner. Also on the plus side, having everyone on only 1500 acres will provide a certain amount of skier created slope stabilization by having multiple skier tracks knocking air out of and consolidating the snowpack.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, am I reading that right as for $50 (no guide) you are confined to 300 acres? That most of the place is reserved for those paying $100?
I read it as $50 buys you acces to 300 acres on your own. A further $50 bucks buys you an intro class, which may or may not use some the adjacent 1200 acres.

If you really want to ski that terrain, you have to pony up for a guide for your group. Knowing rates for guided backoutry touring as well as private (group) lessons in resorts are both around $700/ day, I doubt that it would be much cheaper here,

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
FYI for anyone that knows the Hwy 40 Kremmling to Steamboat section, pretty sure Whitley Peak is what I've always known as "the witch's tit". It probably will have a few nice runs, but not exactly a place I would think to put a backcountry ski "area"... but good luck to them.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
But for a $100+ lift ticket at some resorts you get access to hike-to side country and this might be the better deal.
Also on the plus side, having everyone on only 1500 acres will provide a certain amount of skier created slope stabilization by having multiple skier tracks knocking air out of and consolidating the snowpack.
A lift ticket here, walk up, is only $83. But for free you can walk up, ski side country, and maybe pick up "stabilized" snow for the most part because it's side country and open borders. And have toilets and restaurants, etc. No, avalanche risk is not resort mitigated. But if they are "using cross cuts", you have plenty of folks hitting the side country before you. Of course, it's not risk free, we've had four avalanche related fatalities -- one in 1980, two in 2008, one in 2018. But that's far lower than our tree well statistics (10).

Last edited:
TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
A lift ticket here, walk up, is only $83. But for free you can walk up, ski side country, and maybe pick up "stabilized" snow for the most part because it's side country and open borders. And have toilets and restaurants, etc. No, avalanche risk is not resort mitigated. But if they are "using cross cuts", you have plenty of folks hitting the side country before you. Of course, it's not risk free, we've had four avalanche related fatalities -- one in 1980, two in 2008, one in 2018. But that's far lower than our tree well statistics (10).
Two things:
  1. “Stabilized” side country isn’t stable as last year’s death in the side country of Whitefish attests. Professional snow and terrain management is worth something
  2. There are likely to be far fewer folk at Bluebird than in the resort side country.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, apparently professionally mitigated terrain isn't stable either as the two inbounds deaths at Silver attest.

Or the avalanche that passed right in front of me when Pacobilie was here. Inbounds.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I read it as $50 buys you acces to 300 acres on your own. A further $50 bucks buys you an intro class, which may or may not use some the adjacent 1200 acres.

If you really want to ski that terrain, you have to pony up for a guide for your group. Knowing rates for guided backoutry touring as well as private (group) lessons in resorts are both around $700/ day, I doubt that it would be much cheaper here,

I noticed that Steamboat Powdercats have a backcountry touring option. Works out to about $270/person/day if you can get a group of 4 together.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Well actually Kremmling but no one knows Kremmling.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
What might be the best thing that Bluebird Backcountry has going for it is its reasonably close proximity to a large skiing population in Denver who can then decide on a day of backcountry skiing with little advanced planning.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Hush, now.

Sponsor

Staff online