• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First cars

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like @scott43, my first car was a convertible, British racing green, '69 Firebird 400 that I paid $2500 for on auction at age 16. Brought it home and my mother was mortified and my father (very secretly) ecstatic.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Talking of unusual-engined JP three-doors, anyone else have an I-mark diesel?

Third car (mine was dog diarrhea brown, ofc):

View attachment 197586
You might be alone on this one. Especially if in” Dog Diarrhea Brown” as that was a special order color. :roflmao: But who knows?- we found two Corona MKIi owners here so anything is possible. I Drove a fantastic Mitsubishi (rental upgrade) )in the early 90’s can’t remember what imodel

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. I Drove a fantastic Mitsubishi (rental upgrade) )in the early 90’s can’t remember what imodel

Hmmm, the only diesel Mitsubishi I ever drove was a Dodge-labeled Ram 50 that a gf's family used as a farm truck/barbed wire tensioning device. Quite a nice ... agricultural tool, actually.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1962 or 63 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6 (but the bigger one) and three on the tree. Made up for its mediocre performance with mediocre gas mileage.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
First car: Shit Brown 1976 Datsun B210.

datsun-b210-1977-6.jpg

First New car: 1984 VW Sirocco

32698556-1984-volkswagen-scirocco-thumb.jpg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Brown car’s in the 70’s go great with “Harvest Gold”, Avocado “ and “Burnt Orange” appliances. :D Ah, the 70’s….

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
1679435448486.png

1969 VW squareback sedan, AKA stationwagon. Bought in '76. It had some rust. the front windscreen got defrosted via a vacuum hose routed from under the rear seat where the heat vents were for the back passengers as the normal channel for hot air from the heat exchanger is under the doors and the first place to rust out.
(EDIT to add the photo is not of my car, just the same model)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tch

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A PINK 1957 Chevy station wagon. Like this one, but pink. Bought it for $200 in 1970-ish. I am ashamed to admit that after a year or two it died on the side of the highway, where I abandoned it. No money for a tow truck.

1679436371787.png

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While I had loan of several hand-me-down family vehicles, the first car I paid for with my own money was a '68 Beetle.

Bought it in Ohio and drove it out to Arizona. (1975)

SCAN0229.jpg

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe it was a '67 Ford F150 with a 6' bed and a 351. The three speed (three on a tree) got jammed from time to time. My mom knew how to fix it. The differential gradually failed so I went to a junk yard and the guy put a second hand in for some low price like $30. It was a fun truck. It was pretty beat up, paid $750 for it. It was perfect for livin up on the Rensselaer Plateau and going to work at the State Park.

I built a cap for the back. I don't know how to build things but it turned out pretty good. Insulation, lights, nice bedding on a fast truck. The cap was built with an angeled roof. Lower in the front and higher in the back. Thought that might help keep it from blowing off. What more ya need? Went all over New England with the kayaks finding rapids and camping at the ocean.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
64285_4773472935093_686409649_n.jpg

I am, as it turns out, one of the younger people on this forum. 2003 Accord V6. Drove it all over Zion and Bryce, gravel roads and all, with the entire contents of my college apartment in the back. Probably still on the road unless a subsequent owner crashed it.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oops, that Opel was my second car. I forgot about a 1/2 ton Ford pickup which was my first car. It had a built 390 and was wicked fast. Its specialty was making gasoline disappear. I, of course, wrecked it not long after I bought it.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
My first car was buried up to the doors in mud in someone's backyard. I towed it home behind a '70 Olds 98 coupe when I was 15. Goal was to get it road worthy by my 16th birthday. Rebuilt the trans, rear diff, brake system, carbs, etc. etc.
I missed by a couple months but got her done. It was my only car for the next
six years. The car was a 1968 Triumph GT6 Mk I.

Yes, I still have it.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first car was a Sunbeam Alpine convertible.
Same for my DH. It was a '62. He had both the hard top and the soft top. Here is a picture of him and the car 1977. He says he still has the serial number memorized. He crashed it after working on the brakes :eek: , and then never quite got it road worthy and had to sell it before a long trip. I met him nearly 20 years later, but I've heard a lot about this car over the years. Much more about the car than about his first girlfriend. He authorized me to share the photo with y'all.

Attachments

• 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Series II, 7-10-73 to 4-19-77.jpg
    1962 Sunbeam Alpine Series II, 7-10-73 to 4-19-77.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 4

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
A PINK 1957 Chevy station wagon. Like this one, but pink. Bought it for $200 in 1970-ish. I am ashamed to admit that after a year or two it died on the side of the highway, where I abandoned it. No money for a tow truck.

View attachment 197621
first car in grade 11 was similar. 57 Pontiac wagon - but was more rust coloured
You could pack a lot of high school kids into those. Plenty of room for 2 at the drive-ins.

upgraded to a 64 comet start of grade 12. Good times had in that car. Sad day when I sold it for first year's tuition.

Sponsor