• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First powder ski - Head Kore 111 vs 117 in 184cm or 191cm

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
interesting that 105, 111 and 117 all have the same 10 point rating for powder according to head...
Makes sense. What ski you should be on in pow and what constitutes a good pow ski are really down to what works for you.
  • How you want to ski it including speed, turn shape, skill level, tourability
  • Size and weight of the skier
  • Snow conditions including, depth, density, steepness of the slopes, how long the pow lasts.
  • Numerous other factors

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just recieved my 2022 kore 117 191cm skis.

Measurements are as follows:

Rotal ski length: 189.6-189.8cm
Recommended binding line meassured from the rear: 87.0-87.1cm
(variations based on 3 different measurement tapes, so definately not 191cm.
Skis have exactly same lengths)

Given these lengths the recommended mounting point is 7.8-7.9cm back from ski center.
I mounted -2cm, so at 9.8-9.9cm back from center.

tip width: 147.1-147.3cm
waist width: 118.6cm
tail width: 130.6-130.7cm
(measured with digital caliper. the variation relates to differences between the skis themselves. One is 0.1-0.2mm wider than the other at tip and tail)

weight incl. marker duke pt 16:
3440-3465g
(so assuming blister's duke pt 16 weight of 1383g, one ski without binding should be: 2057-2082g)

it's snowing like crazy for the next few days, so plenty opportunity for first timer testing feedback ;)

One question regarding detuning. The edges seem pretty sharp all around. Should i detune the tip and tail rockers with blue rubber stone till contact points?
I missed your last question previously, but am relieved at how great the skis were/are for you. Glad it is working out.
(I've skied a lot of powder skis, and to me the ones you got are among the few at the very top!)

I would not de-tune any part of this ski: with the more forward mount (even with moving two back on the newer plus four mount position), and also with a bit higher rocker to the latest version, these skis do not need any detuning. I find they ski well in powder bumps even, as is.

In addition, extending the effective edge with as much sharp edge for carving as possible has no downside with this ski. And it's a plus on soft groomers, and any time you are able to bring that effective edge into contact on the snow for the sake of some carving. Just pure win win, on this particular ski. (I too have a modest racing background, and the sharper, longer edge on the Kore 117 is especially great for a traditional carving background - though not a requirement.)

I told you you might like them on at least soft groomers. To me, these skis are a fun contrast to your Deacons in such conditions, in addition to their ability in powder/chop. To me, even a bit of fresh makes them come alive, as I said. And Variety is the spice of life!

Congratulations on navigating to such a grand ski!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Again blown away by the CT3.0 after spending my last few days on the Kore 99.

way more forgiving and fun in bumps and even on soft groomers. Way more stable at very high speed and of course just awesome on about 12 in of chopped up few day old pow and wind blown.

Again blown away.

sound silly but I think it is now officially my mid/late season DD And the 88exp will be my early season DD.

thanks again Greg formhe heads up and the nudges from Anders, Tomy S, et al to pull the trigger on them!
They are really good in crud also, as long as that's not super gnarly, at least. And they are really fun, as I said, on even an inch of fresh. Just killer on soft groomers. And very intuitive.
Think @Rdputnam515 has now experienced a much higher standard of groomer and crud performance than the start of the season. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online