• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I suspect this thread will grow feet as we get nearer to ski season. Easter Sunday is 1 April this year, so kids' breaks will be the first week of April. In my case, one or more non-skiing wives will be making the trip so I'm thinking places like Mammoth or Kirkwood wouldn't offer a lot of charm off the mountain? (never been)

Based on Tony Crocker's info, I'm thinking our best bets are:

Breckenridge/A-basin
Snowmass/Aspen
Telluride
Taos
Alyeska

Missing are Alta/Snowbird -- two snowboarders in the group, and mine is a senior in HS and I'd like to spend some time with him -- Snowbird is probably more mountain than most of my group will have fun on -- plus even if we stayed up in LCC, not a lot for the non-skiing moms to do.

Am I missing any good late-season resorts? I'm not really familiar with the Tahoe area resorts (at all) -- not sure if any are strong that late?

Also, I see that Telluride and Taos have as their closing dates 8 April, the day after we leave. How big a risk are those two destinations for a first-week-of-April tilt?

Note: the Canadian Rockies probably aren't an option

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd vote for Breck/A-Basin. Also, consider Copper. If you stayed in Frisco the non-skiers could shop there, Silverthorne Outlets, Vail, Breck, lots of places for them to check out. One time I drove with my family to Quebec City for Easter and it was a great town for the non-skiers and still excellent skiing at MSA and LeMassif 30 and 60 mins outside town.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Am I missing any good late-season resorts?
Mammoth and Mt. Bachelor, two of the best. Also Whistler, though maybe the Canadian objection to Banff (whatever that is) applies to Whistler too.

Taos and Telluride are fine. They close early due to remote location though both are strongly skewed to favor late season. They close first weekend of April, better make sure that's not April 1.

My spring break recommendations are here: http://bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird is probably more mountain than most of my group will have fun on -- plus even if we stayed up in LCC, not a lot for the non-skiing moms to do.

If that is your sentiment regarding the bird. Taos will be a lot less fun than the bird.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
second on Bachelor, lots to do around Bend for the non-sliders. Summit County Would be a good choice too. If you can get everyone in and out Canada, Banff could be a good choice too.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Breckenridge/A-basin
Snowmass/Aspen
Telluride
Taos
Alyeska

Your initial list looks pretty good. April is a great time to ski with good deals and smaller crowds. Ski areas typically close due to lack of people, not lack of snow so the skiing is almost always great. A few thoughts on destinations:
  • CO: every major ski area will still be in great shape. Aspen, Telluride and Breck are great ideas. If you do Breck you could ski a day at Vail, Copper or Keystone too. Abasin isn't very good for families/cruiser skiers so I'd probably skip it.
  • NM: Taos is pretty small for families/cruiser so I'd probably skip it.
  • I've never been to Alyeska, but if you're willing to travel that far, I'd look into Canada first. Banff would be great.
In summary, any of the CO options are the best combo of accessible and great skiing. If you're willing to travel farther, I'd look at Banff

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're hoping to do this trip without a car (both skiing and varied nonskiing activities within walking distance), then Aspen, Telluride, or Breck are the best bets. If either the skiers or nonskiers can drive a little way, then Mammoth, Bachelor/Bend, Taos, Crested Butte, Kirkwood/Heavenly, and Salt Lake would be fun, too... might depend somewhat on what the nonskiers want to be able to do. I don't have any experience with Alyeska or Whistler, so no insight.

It is, of course, impossible to predict conditions with accuracy this early. But Telluride is probably the perfect combination of reliably good spring skiing and fantastic off-hill activities all in one spot. If the group can afford it and is ok with the travel time to get there, it's an excellent choice. But lots of other great choices on the list, too.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Alyeska is an incredible mountain (it was my home mountain for a very long time), but for non-skiers there is not a lot to do around Girdwood.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I'm skiing the same week. Tentatively planning on Tahoe/Mammoth, but we'll see how the season shakes out. I won't book until a few weeks out. Already have trips booked to Banff, Jackson, Taos, Alta/Bird, and Revelstoke/KH, but would repeat one of those if the snow is right.

Regarding Alyeska, it's a great little mountain, but it's pretty small. The lower half of the mountain gets a ton of rain and freeze/thaw throughout the season (base elevation ~150 feet above sea level) and is frequently not worth skiing. That cuts the effective skiable area in half. The North Face is also closed a lot of the time (and is pretty gnarly when it is open). If you take those things away, you're not left with much to ski and a lot of the good stuff is "hike-to". I would not book Alyeska real far out. All that said, the Hotel Alyeska is a great place and Alaska is definitely a cool vibe, especially if you've never been there before. Also Chugach Powder Guides runs out of Girdwood, and their heli operation is backed up by cat skiing or Alyeska resort skiing when they can't fly. So if you've got money to burn and want to take the chance on flying weather, it's supposed to be epic.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've done late season spring break skiing with my kids. I came to the conclusion that either Summit County or the SLC areas were my best bets, since there are multiple ski resorts to choose from. Chances are unless the entire region is affected by a bad season, one or more of them will be viable. Always good to have options.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
My son Adam's spring break was the week containing April 1. Resorts visited, all good:
Mammoth 4
Salt Lake 2 (when young, never after 1996 because we we there earlier in the season for the timeshare)
Aspen 2
Crested Butte 2
Telluride 2
Whistler 2
Taos
Summit CO
Banff (including loop drive to Fernie/Castle)
Bachelor
Alyeska

The places on that list that are at least as limited for less than advanced skiers as Snowbird are Taos, Crested Butte and Alyeska. Adam was on Crested Butte's North Face and Banana/Funnel at age 7 and in Taos' ski program at age 8.

Whistler skews advanced overall but it's so huge there is plenty to keep most intermediates happy. Plus it's fine without a car and plenty for non-skiers to do.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been in Telluride probably a half dozen times for their final week, and if the season's snowfall has left good coverage leading up to that week, it can be a very good choice. Telluride trail, heading to town at the end of the day, can be a little thin and slick. And crowded. But if you're staying over at the Mountain Village side, that's not a problem. The final Sunday festivities on Main Street in town are a blast. But, you say you wouldn't be there for that.

Edit: Telluride, both sides of the mountain, would be a fine place for a couple of non-skiing wives. Just put the credit card on lock down. And in that regard, you are correct in the OP's assumption that Mammoth wouldn't hold a lot of interest.

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Thanks everyone. Glad I posted the question, because Mount Bachelor was completely off my radar and that, with Bend, looks pretty promising. Not nearly as high as places like Breck and Telluride, too (coming from the East Coast).

Here's some feedback on the suggestions thus far... I took my crew on Easter Break to Banff about 3 years ago (the kids would go back to Sunshine at the drop of a hat) but my ski buddy is going through some domestic issues and I think leaving the country with a minor would involve some signed paperwork by the war department saying that's okay -- and I'm sure he'd just as soon find something domestic and keep things uncomplicated... Regarding some of the other suggestions -- we've been to Vail and to Copper a good bit in the last two years (earlier in those seasons) so that's why I mentioned Breck (plus I think my largely non-skiing wife and his non-skiing gf would prefer the town of Breckenridge to Frisco, etc.). I think I'll save Alyeska for another trip, too -- not least of which because of the 10+ hours it'll take us to get there.

Unless we went to Telluride or something like that where a car just isn't needed, we always get rent a car. Had an epic week in Telluride 4 or 5 years ago, and would consider it again. Having never been to Aspen, that might get the nod between the two.

A couple others not on my original list were mentioned, Crested Butte, Kirkwood, and Heavenly -- how are those areas for non-skiers (never been)?

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Crested Butte is not appropriate given your comments about Snowbird. It skis fairly small if you're not up to the North Face. Plus the intermediate terrain is either low or west facing and will likely have melt/freeze conditions. My first trip into this region combined 3 days at Crested Butte with 3 days at Telluride, easily doable with a rental car from Montrose. Another such trip combined Aspen and Telluride. The latter two destinations are far better for the OP than Crested Butte.

You would certainly not want to base at Kirkwood with non-skiers. You would daytrip the 45 minute drive from your South Shore base near Heavenly. South Shore is good for non-skiers and Kirkwood and the upper half of Heavenly are among the best snow preservation at Tahoe. But neither is as good as Mammoth in that regard. If you make the effort to fly to Reno in April you should at least divide the week between Mammoth and South Tahoe.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Plus the intermediate terrain is either low or west facing and will likely have melt/freeze conditions.

Agreed that it skis smaller if you're not an expert. But all the primary intermediate groomer areas (Paradise, East River, Teocali lifts) face North / NE. The lowest point (bottom of East River list) is above 9K. Red Lady lift (almost all beginner terrain) faces W/NW and is slightly lower.

Last edited:

TonyC

Pass Pulled
My experience in three spring trips to Crested Butte was that only Paradise retained winter snow among the intermediate sectors.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I've every suggested Breckenridge, but this seems like the perfect opportunity to ski there. It's a really nice mountain, just too crowded.

But, there is a HUGE difference between the last week of March and the first week of April in terms of crowds. It's a zoo at Breck (and Vail) the month March.

Come April 1st it magically to low season in one day, and your non-skiers will really enjoy Breck.

Sponsor

Staff online