• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Fischer Ranger 89W

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
A U14 racer saying that a ski "rips carves" sounds like a pretty strong endorsement...

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used the Ranger 98 as my touring ski last year and liked it in soft snow conditions and powder. Pretty light ski so it worked well as a touring ski on the up and better than average on the way down. Found it acceptable on groomers but not that solid in harder snow conditions. I upgrade to a new, lighter, touring ski this year and just recently got around to putting some alpine bindings on the Rangers (Look Pivot) and have been skiing them with an alpine boot (Tecnica Mach 1, 130MV) for the past few days. An amazing up tick in performance vs. same ski with a Fritschi Vipec and a Scarpa Maestrale RS. Can't find anything not to like. I have trouble looking at the design of the ski and believing that something that looks like that can ski so well. Not surprised that a young racer would get a charge out of the women's version. They do float easily and then rip when you stand on them. Particularly easy to load at the top of the turn and then just let them do the work through the belly of the turn.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice skiing. Love the simplicity in her review.
:thumb:

James

Out There
Instructor
Ha, nice review!
How did she find the length? I know several women who are larger but insist on staying in the 150's, even like 153cm, for their wide ski. They are resistant to change.ogsmile

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Is this the ski she was on on the Bruce the other day?
Yes, these are they.

James, she is very happy with the length, no second thoughts on that. She was concerned about the size the first time we demoed them, but when given the chance to go smaller, didn't even think about it. She skied the La Nina in 169 also, and loved it (I mean really loved it), but prefers the Ranger 89W even when we had the big dump last month.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ha, nice review!
How did she find the length? I know several women who are larger but insist on staying in the 150's, even like 153cm, for their wide ski. They are resistant to change.ogsmile

most people think short skis make them turn quicker, the reality is short skis let you push easier.

Sponsor

Staff online