• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fisher Topsheet Edge Chipping Opinion

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

Curious opinions here. My young daughter ski races so she works hard on her skis for sure. We buy Fischer skis every year and each year it seems the topsheet edge gets the crap beat out of it along the edge chipping off of the topsheet. Curious if that is normal and I should not be concerned as it won't impact the ski overall. I have asked if she is banging down with her boots to the answer of no and her skis of course are close together as she is shredding. Thanks for any opinions for those who have had a family racing for a while etc.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You didn't mention her age, but are her skis getting a "WC level" tune prep? That means top sheet shaping into the sidewalls would be included. This kind of damage can mostly be avoided by prepping the top sheet properly.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There’s no performance loss. I used to file down the edges of the top sheet to minimize risk of hooking up, but it also prevents chipping a little. But as Erik said, it’s the name of the game. They get beat up, there’s no way around it.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Same thing happened on my daughter's Fischer GS skis. I found them to be the most susceptible to top sheet damage. Wasn't an issue for the use she got out of them and as said above, they're just tools. The Rossi GS held up pretty well and her Stockli SLs, while not bomb proof, are pretty close.

James

Out There
Instructor
Get something like this with course and medium grits, go at the topsheet/sidewall edge and angle it.

Available at many hardware stores.
644D988C-AEE5-4D65-B5E7-9DFCA7BB58D8.jpeg

Or use a pansar file, coarse file, and sandpaper. Or all/some above including drum. Gloves aren’t a bad idea as fiberglass bits stick in the skin and get really annoying.

DrunknFrenchman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yeah same issue. My daughter has used her GS ski 3 times and this is what I found today. She has no idea how it happened. Usually pretty diligent about her skis on and off the course. The second picture is my other daughter’s Fischer GS ski. She has 5 days on it, same thing, already with some decent top sheet damage. A lot of the kids seem to be switching to the Rossi’s. I don’t think this is the reason but we’ll probably make the switch. Hopefully they’ll hold up better.

IMG_4814.jpeg

image.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah same issue. My daughter has used her GS ski 3 times and this is what I found today. She has no idea how it happened. Usually pretty diligent about her skis on and off the course. The second picture is my other daughter’s Fischer GS ski. She has 5 days on it, same thing, already with some decent top sheet damage. A lot of the kids seem to be switching to the Rossi’s. I don’t think this is the reason but we’ll probably make the switch. Hopefully they’ll hold up better.

View attachment 220206

View attachment 220207
Looks like the first picture is the left ski and the second picture is the right ski. As far as "no idea how it happened? Well, I have a few ... clanking the skis together on the lift, trying to get the snow off ... The other might be on a more serious note, get her alignment checked, she might be off a bit and the skis are converging in the turn and hitting each other.

I have seen skis from every brand come in after 1-3 days of skiing looking like that and I have seen skis that have 100 days on them that look new ... all from the same brands ... including Fischer. In every case it is the skier. With all that said, in almost every 2025 product intro we have sat through this year, the topic of topsheet durability has been mentioned ... including Fischer. I will add, that it won't make a difference, people are still going to abuse their gear.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 220206

View attachment 220207

You should file/sandpaper the top sheet edge, so that it is round and smooth. Prevents a lot of this as well as lowering the risk of skis catching each other. Didn’t they teach you this at her club?

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like the older Kastle MX disease. They chipped like crazy. Some delamed.
They’re crossing tips while skiing.
You’ve got to angle the top sheet back before use. See upthread.
You can fill it with epoxy and black pigment.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like the older Kastle MX disease. They chipped like crazy. Some delamed.
I still call BS on this. I have had over a dozen pairs of Kastle's through my hands and none had chipped topskins, but I don't clank my skis together and anyone who skis our tests skis I ask "Treat them my skis, not your skis". I have worked swaps that had many older pairs ... the only ones chipped bad were ones that were abused but no more ... or less than any other brand. Show we a ski brand that never has topskins chip, and I will show you an oldre Volant "full metal jacket". ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
I still call BS on this. I have had over a dozen pairs of Kastle's through my hands and none had chipped topskins, but I don't clank my skis together and anyone who skis our tests skis I ask "Treat them my skis, not your skis". I have worked swaps that had many older pairs ... the only ones chipped bad were ones that were abused but no more ... or less than any other brand. Show we a ski brand that never has topskins chip, and I will show you an oldre Volant "full metal jacket". ;)
I know, you’re in denial.
People who ski moguls will chip them. Mogul skiers have very trashed skis.

IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0793.jpeg

Regluiing someone else’s Mx83. The tails were chipped too. This guy was a big tip crosser, mogul basher.

What ruined this ski weren’t the chips, but a shop so badly detuned the front they wouldn’t bite and couldn’t be sharpened in that area.

DrunknFrenchman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for all the advice. The bottom pic is my older daughter’s ski. I was suprised to find both my kids having the same issue (albeit the younger kiddo was much worse). I also wondered if she inadvertently overlapped her skis. Just looking at the damage, I assumed it had to be something like this. Looked like a sharp edge from the other ski took it off. Suprised she’s never had the issue in the past, this is her 3rd gs ski. Just went back and looked at her old ones, found some minor chips but nothing like this. I am also wondering if the jump in length this year had something to do with her crossing skis. She hit a huge growth spurt and went up 12 cm in length. The weight of the ski also jumped significantly.

In the past I had been tapering the side edge as needed with sharpening and would occasionally sand the edge of the top sheet at the same time. Basically just to smooth it out. Until now I had never thought about sanding the top sheet to prep the ski for protection. I just came across this in several online videos as well. Most of the classes through our club have been geared at side edge prep, etc but not a lot toward prepping the ski. Good to know for the future. Appreciate the all the insight!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Last time I did repairs I used System 3, T-88 epoxy. But for your use you would have to thicken it. They sell stuff for that. Epoxy + thickener + pigment is about $50
I also used some thick white Marine epoxy I got at the hardware store for chips. then used a sharpie. You need thick otherwise it all runs out or you create moats to hold it.

This West System product is already thickened. But you should call them to see if the temp range once cured is suitable:

I’m sure there’s some version of JB Weld that’s flexible enough and thick enough to use.

Another option is to go to a ski shop that does repairs. You may be able to buy off them small packets of epoxy or urethane. It needs to be thick.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, at least on their youth race skis, Fischer topsheets are more fragile. Not as bad as Head youth race skis though which appear to use something akin to peanut brittle for the top sheet. Both brands have this issue due to the use of a glass fiber layer right under the top sheet instead the aluminum/titanal layer used by other brands. The use of the glass fiber instead of metal makes the ski easier to flex for lighter skiers, but it is certainly not impact resistant.

Most important... make sure your child fully understands that they should absolutely never ever bang their skis together to clean off any accumulated snow. If they are worried about the snow, tell them to just ski faster and it will blow off.

Next, pick up a large Panzer/radial/body file. Use this file to bevel and/or round off the corner where the topsheet meets the sidewall. I don't bother with this in the area beside the bindings, but do it everywhere else around the entire topsheet. For bonus points, flip the ski over and use a fine file to completely round off the metal edges in the tip and tail area that is outside of the running surface. Especially with the tip area, rounding the edges eliminates a lot of potential damage from crossed tips. Extra, extra bonus points if you remove the tip protectors from the SL skis for this topsheet and edge rounding process.

Every time you tune their skis, check over the topsheets first. Use the panzer file and/or a razor blade to remove any high spots and loose pieces on the top sheet. This helps keep small damage from turning into big damage, and it also mitigates the possibility of marring the base when skis get crossed.

Finally, fixing the current damage. I use G/flex 650 Toughened epoxy, but this is just what I keep on hand for fixing delaminations. Since this is not structural, any 2-part epoxy will be fine, but those with slower cure times will be easier to work with. Do not use a thickened epoxy because it will be harder to properly wet out the exposed glass fibers and it also won't flow into all of the little crevices. Just put some blue tape on the sidewall to create a dam and keep the epoxy contained. If you want to color match the epoxy, there are epoxy specific colorants that can be mixed into the epoxy. A single drop of colorant is enough for the volume of epoxy you would need for the pictured damage. Less is more as too much colorant will inhibit the curing of the epoxy and leave it feeling sticky. The skis need to be warm and dry. Thoroughly clean the damaged area with acetone or aerosol carburetor cleaner. Mix up your epoxy and then use your mixing stick (handle of a plastic utensil works great) to work small amounts of epoxy into damaged area. The main goal is a good bond to seal up the topsheet and help prevent further damage and not necessarily make the ski look like new. Once the epoxy is cured, remove the blue tape and then use that panzer file to shave down the epoxy to be level with the topsheet and then round it off where it meets the sidewall.

pbf_all_500.jpg

Panzer files look brutal, but are extremely efficient with a little practice.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Graham doing a ski-

Sidecut makes a 20 deg holder for a pansar file.
That video and the linked tool are for cutting back the sidewall in the tip and tail area. While that is another important step in prepping a new ski, it is completely unrelated to what is being discussed above. What myself, and others, are recommending it to take that panzer file at roughly 45 degrees and round off the corner where the topsheet meets the sidewall. This should be done on the entire length of the top sheet, except under the bindings.

cut topsheet.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online