• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fix my quiver!

TS
epicentre

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok, reading around these parts it seems the Attack 13 Demo binding is well liked. I've had skis with Solomon Z12 demos and Look SPX 12 demos. Although I really like Solomon bindings in general, i didn't take to the demo binding all that well. I thought the Look SPX 12 was better.

So I'm willing to give the Attack 13 Demos a try if I can find some. Otherwise I'll go with a Marker Schizo. Anybody familiar with them? Can I get away with the Schizo 11, or do I really need to get the 14?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So after a lot of thought and research, I just pulled the trigger (ok I clicked a mouse) on a new pair of Volkl Revolts for $215. I am hopeful that they will satisfy my desire for both a directional freestyle twin-tip as well as an all-mountain ski.

If they are anything like the old Volkl Bridges, which was a little gem of a ski, I think I will be happy. The difference is these have some camber whereas the Bridges were full rocker (the addition of camber should be an improvement, imo). The shape and construction are a little different also which should make these a bit more of a playful ski. 129/95/119 @ 21m:

volkl-revolt-ski-2016.jpg

Yeah, they are no SR95's but those can come later. This is a totally different ski with a different purpose. And two hundred dollars is a much easier sunk cost if they don't work out. Anyway, @SkiEssentials really seemed to like them:

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2017-volkl-revolt-more-than-a-park-ski.1626/
http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2017-Volkl-Revolt-Ski-Review

I'm thinking I should put a Schizo or a Demo binding on a ski like this. Anybody have a recommendation on a binder?

The Revolt is a prettu good ski watch the mount point, it is marked for a center mount, I woudl suggest going back 6cm from center for your binding.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
The Revolt is a prettu good ski watch the mount point, it is marked for a center mount, I woudl suggest going back 6cm from center for your binding.

We tested mount point quite a lot on the Revolt. I (Jeff) come from a freestyle background and ski them true center, but our other staff members who tested them that don't have freestyle backgrounds at all settled around 3 cm back as their favorite spot. I'd be happy to chat more about our experiences.

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Thinking about it, I would really like to learn how to ski switch and start hitting more jumps around the mountain.

6 cm back, in my opinion, is going to make skiing switch pretty challenging.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
6 cm back, in my opinion, is going to make skiing switch pretty challenging.
I suggested that because that is the distance used from true center mount to a traditional freeride mount. It leaves BOF on the true center. You know this ski better than I do,...I do see where he is also going to be using at a "freestyle" ski also...so 3cm does make sense then...maybe a Schizo on it for verstility.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So after a lot of thought and research, I just pulled the trigger (ok I clicked a mouse) on a new pair of Volkl Revolts for $215. I am hopeful that they will satisfy my desire for both a directional freestyle twin-tip as well as an all-mountain ski.

If they are anything like the old Volkl Bridges, which was a little gem of a ski, I think I will be happy. The difference is these have some camber whereas the Bridges were full rocker (the addition of camber should be an improvement, imo). The shape and construction are a little different also which should make these a bit more of a playful ski. 129/95/119 @ 21m:

volkl-revolt-ski-2016.jpg

Yeah, they are no SR95's but those can come later. This is a totally different ski with a different purpose. And two hundred dollars is a much easier sunk cost if they don't work out. Anyway, @SkiEssentials really seemed to like them:

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2017-volkl-revolt-more-than-a-park-ski.1626/
http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2017-Volkl-Revolt-Ski-Review

I'm thinking I should put a Schizo or a Demo binding on a ski like this. Anybody have a recommendation on a binder?
Where did you get those at that price? Nice.

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
I suggested that because that is the distance used from true center mount to a traditional freeride mount. It leaves BOF on the true center. You know this ski better than I do,...I do see where he is also going to be using at a "freestyle" ski also...so 3cm does make sense then...maybe a Schizo on it for verstility.

Yeah I totally understand. I just think 6 is too much on the Revolt.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight if any more pop up I'll let you know! What length would be best for him?
Guessing 180ish. He's 5'11" 190ish and really good skier. In the midwest we seem to run smaller lengths and he and I starting to go a little longer.

Thanks

TS
epicentre

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Holy smokes, this thread blew up overnight. Jeff, thanks for chiming in on the ski with Philpug. Stoked to hear how much you like it! I think this discussion just reaffirms that I should go with an adjustable binding, yes? That way I can experiment with skiing it true center, -3, -6 etc.

Unfortunately I am not too knowledgeable about bindings, so I could really use a solid recommendation what to put on this ski. A schizo 11, schizo 14 or an Attack 13 demo seems to be the short list.. Isn't the Tyrolia Attack a freestyle oriented binding? Do all these bindings have the at least 60mm of travel that I would need? Anyone easier to adjust on the mountain (tool less maybe?)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Holy smokes, this thread blew up overnight. Jeff, thanks for chiming in on the ski with Philpug. Stoked to hear how much you like it! I think this discussion just reaffirms that I should go with an adjustable binding, yes? That way I can experiment with skiing it true center, -3, -6 etc.

Unfortunately I am not too knowledgeable about bindings, so I could really use a solid recommendation what to put on this ski. A schizo 11, schizo 14 or an Attack 13 demo seems to be the short list.. Isn't the Tyrolia Attack a freestyle oriented binding? Do all these bindings have the at least 60mm of travel that I would need? Anyone easier to adjust on the mountain (tool less maybe?)
I always buy Schizo's now.......... never really had an issue w/ them and they are easily adjustable on the fly. If you're "Hucking" go w/ something burly........if not I'm 6' 210' and use the Griffon Schizo's in a 12 & 13.......... not sure what they have for new offerings but I don't go lower than a 12 for my DIN 9 setting..........

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor

I think an adjustable binding would be ideal for you, yes. That way on days when you want to practice skiing switch you can put them to true center, while if you're using them as a sidecountry/powder/directional ski you can go 2, 3, 4, etc back. I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually find a spot that you prefer overall and leave it there.

The Schizo is probably going to be the easiest to work with. It's relatively quick and easy to adjust. You can even do it with a coin. On demo bindings the toe and heel move independently, so there's more to move and more to check. You need to understand forward pressure, etc. Depending on your BSL both should move the necessary 6 cm. The Griffon does exactly 6 cm, while I suppose if you have a really big boot the demo bindings might not move your center mark a total of 6 cm? Would have to do the math.

The Attack is marketed as a "freestyle" binding, which in my opinion is pretty silly, it's no more of a "freestyle" specific binding than a Griffon, FKS, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online