• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Full Tilt boots?

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Opinions, quick reviews? Do they compare to the others as far as performance, comfort, etc? To me they are ugly, yet that should not matter if they are perform well. When I was fitted years ago, I was given these to try on, yet liked my Langes instead.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am assuming that are referring to the "Classic" design which is the core of the FT line. It is a 3 buckle, 3 peice shell that evolved from the original Rachel Flexon which dates back to the late 1970's. Do they perform well? Go to any World Cup mogul event, well over 90% of the competitors are in a Full Tilt. Comfort is always subjective but the Intuition liner is one of the cushier liners available. Again addressing performance, right now the Full Tilt is Bode Miller's boot of choice..and he can ski any boot he wants to right now.
14425569_1122737031147653_7747778997494443287_o.jpg

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I guess I was referring to classic. I meant the ones that look like wires, attached to the buckles, going over the boot. I now see they make normal looking(in my opinion) boots. Next time I get fitted, I will keep an open mind. Thanks.

James

Out There
Instructor
Opinions, quick reviews? Do they compare to the others as far as performance, comfort, etc? To me they are ugly, yet that should not matter if they are perform well. When I was fitted years ago, I was given these to try on, yet liked my Langes instead.
No, they don’t, but that doesn’t keep people from skiing them because they look cool. Don’t know exactly why they have to be below par. Go try a pair in in the store.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Yes, they do, I don't ski anything because it looks cool, I ski FT because they give me no issues and fit me. I also run a cabrio design for backcountry. Performance will not be as high as a stiff overlap shell, but the comfort and ease of use may outweigh that.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Full Tilt has a much longer flex travel than a typical overlap boot. It's a very different feel that you will either like for dislike.

CYJ

Booting up
Skier
Again addressing performance, right now the Full Tilt is Bode Miller's boot of choice..and he can ski any boot he wants to right now.

Quite the glowing endorsement:

“I bring my Full Tilt boots, which is probably unusual, in that Full Tilt is still the old Raichle three-piece boot from 35, 40 years ago. I believe it’s the best boot that was ever built up to this point.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/travel/what-bode-miller-cant-travel-without.html

Guess he hasn't tried Dalbello's Krypton?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love my Full Tilt boots. The molded Intuition liners assure a comfortable fit (do get them molded!). The liners aren't too durable - I did replace mine after a couple of seasons and I add pads as needed during the season. The old wire clips were a pain but worked - they now also have better clips that work just as well and are much more user friendly. The boots hold up well but I did break a clip. They are reasonably light. They are easy to get on and off. The flex is wonderfully progressive - they move comfortably at first but really stiffen once some displacement is reached with the resistance increasing smoothly and predictably. The flex characteristics are the magic of the boot.

I prefer bumps and powder. The boots are fantastic there.

Eric
Started with FT Bumblebee now FT Mary Jane - both are now out of date so I have been rocking them for a while!
Also have an old pair of Raichles with the old Intuition liners - the FTs feel a little better

CYJ

Booting up
Skier
Although my feet are getting along quite well with Kryptons, I'm curious to revisit FTs in the future. I saw some photos of what appear to be removable footbeds in their liners for the upcoming season. The fixed foam in the sole of previous liners made it a PITA for dialing in the fit. Now I'm wondering if going down a size is more realistic/less of a hassle.

I can see why some prefer the stronger performance of Kryps over FTs, but I did like FT's smoother flex pattern, probably a result of softer tongues and the lack of a beefy wrap style cuff of Kryps. I also miss the forward stance angles, even with the most forward settings on the Kryps.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Although my feet are getting along quite well with Kryptons, I'm curious to revisit FTs in the future. I saw some photos of what appear to be removable footbeds in their liners for the upcoming season. The fixed foam in the sole of previous liners made it a PITA for dialing in the fit. Now I'm wondering if going down a size is more realistic/less of a hassle.

I can see why some prefer the stronger performance of Kryps over FTs, but I did like FT's smoother flex pattern, probably a result of softer tongues and the lack of a beefy wrap style cuff of Kryps. I also miss the forward stance angles, even with the most forward settings on the Kryps.
Honestly, I think..I could be wrong, one of the reasons he went with the Full Tilt is stance. With it being a 30 year old design, the stance is very aggressive especially by todays standards when so many boots, including the new Krypton which is very upright.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Full Tilts for probably 5 seasons and loved them. It was time for new and I ended up in a Lange
Boot. No doubt the Lange preforms much better “quicker edge to edge” I like the boot.

I like the Lange for performance but with that comes thinner liner so feet get cold. Also hate taking them off, a real bitch on cold nights.

I liked my Full Tilts for more forward ankle flex and ease of getting in and out. You don’t get the performance mostly because of the liner but it much warmer.

I still ponder on lift ..... wonder how a Full Tilt with a Zip Fit liner would do, only for ease of removing. So I’d go back if I could get same feel as the Lange in a heartbeat. Really depends on what you looking for in a boot, can’t go wrong with either.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I am assuming that are referring to the "Classic" design which is the core of the FT line. It is a 3 buckle, 3 peice shell that evolved from the original Rachel Flexon which dates back to the late 1970's. Do they perform well? Go to any World Cup mogul event, well over 90% of the competitors are in a Full Tilt. Comfort is always subjective but the Intuition liner is one of the cushier liners available. Again addressing performance, right now the Full Tilt is Bode Miller's boot of choice..and he can ski any boot he wants to right now.
14425569_1122737031147653_7747778997494443287_o.jpg

Quite the glowing endorsement:

“I bring my Full Tilt boots, which is probably unusual, in that Full Tilt is still the old Raichle three-piece boot from 35, 40 years ago. I believe it’s the best boot that was ever built up to this point.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/travel/what-bode-miller-cant-travel-without.html

These are NOT your grandmas ski shoes...
737ED23D-93D5-4A27-BD74-0FAE9FA7E710.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Bodes schills for a lot of stuff in that NY Times blurb. From what he says about whatever outerwear he was promoting, (never heard of it), you have to wonder how humans have made it this far in winter without.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bodes schills for a lot of stuff in that NY Times blurb. From what he says about whatever outerwear he was promoting, (never heard of it), you have to wonder how humans have made it this far in winter without.

Yeah, but I don't blame him; an ex-ski racer super star has to make a living somehow.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Honestly, I think..I could be wrong, one of the reasons he went with the Full Tilt is stance. With it being a 30 year old design, the stance is very aggressive especially by todays standards when so many boots, including the new Krypton which is very upright.

... and all the bridges back to the white boots are but smoldering remains.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I tried the original flexons and couldn't get on with the stance. I felt like I was skiing in high heels. I probably could have gone to work on them but since they weren't mine I was reluctant to attack them with any power tools!

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier

I ski with the Dalbellos Kryptons, fits my feet just fine, love them. IMO, a cabrio design (three piece boot) is optimum for skiing bumps. My only gripe with the Kryptons is they introduced the Krypton 2, it has a neutral stance meaning the forward lean is not as aggressive.

I might consider trying the FT when I can't find replacement part for my Kryptons or place a shim in the shell the Krypton 2 to get the same forward lean.

Sponsor