• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gathering Clouds (Time for Reflection)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Time for reflection. Normal number of days so far (30ish). Below average satisfaction level. Now, with crappy snow in New England, my western trips in the books, and the Toyota Corona virus casting a pall over all, it's looking like the earliest end to my season in years.

What changes, if any, do I want to make for next year, should such a thing emerge from the other side of the current apocalypse? Well, I can think of several. Chief among them is more time with my ski friends from the land of Pug.

This year I missed out on some formal and informal Gathering days, for a variety of circumstantial reasons. I'm feeling the loss. I need the little push from y'all in terms of terrain and technique. I have new or at least revived appreciation for the fact that Pugs don't generally subject me to endless shouted discussions in the wind at the top of a frigid mountain about whether such-and-such proposed run is a blue or a black. (Who the eff cares? Let's get out of here!) I miss the common understandings we accumulate together, which therefore don't have to be explained tiresomely on the hill.

I miss the predictable and jolly financial irresponsibility of Pugs who have spent a day on the slopes. Rarely have I met one who routinely says, in response to a proposal for a slopeside après-ski beer, "Nah. Let's just wait until we get home. We have the rest of that twelve pack of Narragansett that Billy bought, remember? Drafts are frickin' six dollars here! Can you believe that shit?" Entirely rational point of view. Entirely rational, and entirely demoralizing to endorphin-high donkeys like me, buzzing with memories of steep tree alleys off the Wildcat lift mere minutes before.

In short, I'm just not ready.

Unfortunately powerlessness is the fundamental human condition, in the end. So rather than spit into the wind, I will just quietly list the names of many of the Pugs I am missing right now. I am certain to leave out a bunch. Apologies in advance for that. Don't take it personally; I'm just flawed like everyone. But look. Look how long that list is. Lucky me. Seriously.

@mdf
@Rainbow Jenny
@cosmoliu
@Needham
@JohnL
@Gary Stolt
@aveski
@SKI-3PO
@Jim Kenney
@Lady_Salina
@KevinF
@Josh Matta
@KingGrump
@A Grump
@Uncle Louie
@Sandy_NYC
@Pumba
@Jerez
@luliski
@James
@SBrown
@Chris Geib
@SkiNurse
[Draghtguy Kevin - didn't tag him because he would barf]
@FairToMiddlin
@bbinder
@margaritamarcia
@Noodler
@Unpiste
@Near Nyquist
@Weegie McAdams
@bigguyski
@ScottB
@LiquidFeet
@Philpug
@Tricia
@Dean
@Jimski
@MattSmith
@DanoT
@TheArchitect
@dbostedo
@MaryG
@jimmy
@Johnny V.

James

Out There
Instructor
Very nice Tony!
I always look forward to late season which starts with the NE Gathering and ends with Abay in May. Missed Abay last year due to my back, and this year looks like it probably won’t be open.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was laughing thinking about your comment as we unloaded from the Collins chair and the chatty local (not me) that was sidestepping to a gate it seemed he shouldn’t have been going.

@Tony S -“not that gate” with a shoulder shrug and smile.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait a minute, got xc and bc skiing still!!! I knew you’re a quality guy when you were willing to hang at the second-rate henhouse at Whistler, @Tony S.

Am boycotting the pandemic, refusing to feed my head anymore about it for... sabbath. Reading and listening to inspiring books and music instead.

A quote for all: associate with people who are likely to improve you. Seneca. Sending virtual hugs to you all.
:hug:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well said... I’m new here and haven’t been to the gatherings yet... bet they are fun. Any ideas about dates for Taos next year?
No guarantees, but the pattern is the last week of February for Taos and last week of March for the National Gathering. Assuming life is more-or-less back to normal by then.

ETA: Oops. Off-by-one error.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"In short, I'm just not ready."

Agree with you completely, Tony! And thank you for starting this thread. Perhaps we can use this time to do some OTHER needed work on ourselves. You mention the "little push from y'all in terms of terrain and technique". This might be the time for another little push -- towards honest appreciation for what we have, and humility adequate to understand how petty our own desires are in the grand scheme. I'm not suggesting we abandon our personal desires (I still wanna go skiing tomorrow!); just learn to put them in the proper perspective. Most of us here are incredibly lucky in the lives we are privileged to lead, BUT we are not each the center of the universe. Coming to terms with that is a painful but valuable realization. Most of us learn that lesson sometime in early childhood...but many of us slowly unlearn it as we become self-determining adults. For myself, I am trying hard to see this situation as an opportunity to come to grips with that reality again. May we all become better people through this experience.

All best wishes to everyone.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No guarantees, but the pattern is the last week of February for Taos and last week of March for the National Gathering. Assuming life is more-or-less back to normal by then.

Hmm. You sure you're not a month late on both, @mdf ?

Sponsor

Staff online