• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GCN+ and GCN App Are Done?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup.

Warner Brothers Discovery is shuttering the GCN+ service and the GCN app effective December 19. Apparently folks in the EU will simply pivot over to Discovery+ and Eurosport. For folks outside the EU it's not clear cut.

It was fun while it lasted and I'll try to watch all the documentaries on the app before it goes away as U.S. access is all but guaranteed to be lost moving forward.

I really wasn't looking forward to having to pirate a stream of all the good racing coverage again but here we are. Given FloSports' coverage is complete crap and costs too much and NBC Sports only deals with ASO it's very likely that the U.S. market is being cast back into the stone age. I can't see WBD resurrecting the service as Discovery+ USA and subscribing to Eurosport without an EU billing address is nigh-on-impossible.

Sad times.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*sigh* it almost feels like there's an opportunity for a mass streaming service here ... Disney/Hulu (since they lost Indian cricket) or Prime ...

but I stifle vain hope and sharpen the cuttleaxe.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
*sigh* it almost feels like there's an opportunity for a mass streaming service here ... Disney/Hulu (since they lost Indian cricket) or Prime ...

Apparently there is a way to subscribe to Eurosport via Prime but I'm guessing it's geofenced (yay, VPN?). And Eurosport allows subscriptions using Amazon gift cards, which may get around the billing address restrictions for subscribing. You'd still need a VPN to actually use the service in North America.

Disney/Hulu would be interesting but I'm not sure what WBD's relationship is like with that conglomerate.

I really don't want NBC Universal to get the contract because their cycling coverage is an abomination: too many ads, too much talking to viewers as if they don't know what they're looking at, and some super over-the-hill commentators (e.g. Phil Liggett).

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...and it isn't likely to work given Amazon knows my account is U.S. based.

Bugger.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Super bummed about this news. I was very much enjoying the documentaries and was a subscriber since they launched. The track champion league was a great recent add and earlier this year I subscribed to a VPN for more race access.
Between this and the changes at Nebula that's a big blow to innovative content. ☹️

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Gotta love the free market where freedom ain't free if it exists at all. Can we talk about health insurance and health care now? :roflmao:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta love the free market where freedom ain't free if it exists at all. Can we talk about health insurance and health care now? :roflmao:
It's all a problem - the sublime and the ridiculous both.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Have you ever tried to use a USAian Prime scrip over a VPN?
We tried using the Firestick with a Nord VPN to stream GCN+. It was very buggy to the point where we purchased a cheapish laptop as a dedicated device for the big screen TV. Who knows how it will work next season.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dammit! No more Oorla in her Brittany Spears outfits!?!? ...... and Adam "Gigolo" Blythe!?!? .... and Dan "The Man" w/ Robbie??? ... and my closet fav Hannah Walker!!!??? Son' of a Beach!!! I'm PISSED! Just read this. Absolutely LOVED their coverage. They made cycling exciting and fun!

There will have to be an alternative at that pops up at some point...... GRRRRRR! Stay tuned!

Any news yet anyone???? :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online