• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

General Tire test: Winter vs All-season vs AT vs Mud

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I only said that General tires are made using an old Nokian mold. So, in a sense they have some relationship, but are not the same company.

General doesn't use any Nokian molds for their tires. You're getting mixed up with Hercules tires

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
YMMV. I had heard good things about General snow tires and, just like skis, I like to keep trying new tire options so I putrefy a new set of Arctic max (or whatever it is called) on my truck a couple of years ago. Worst snow tire I have ever used I'm afraid. T.....
I've got the General Altimax Arctics on my Silverado Crew Cab and found they work rather well. I like them better than some Michelin Ice X's I have on an Explorer for deeper snow but they're not as the Ice X's on ice, but they're still far better than other M&S tires I've had.

I do wish to try the IG51's or other next go around. Last look the generals were different

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
You don't need snow tires, but you may want them. You may want them on the rear if don't want to be stuck, unable to make it up a hill, or holding up traffic in a snow storm. You may want them on the front if you don't want to be unable to make the turn or stop when you have to.

Sometimes all it takes to stay out of trouble is to slow down with your all seasons, but not all the time. Sometimes driving slow enough to make the turn means too slow to make it up the next hill.

Were I you, I would get 4 snows this fall, and in the spring, just put the all season tires with the most tread on the rear and when the front tires wear out completely, buy two new all-season tires, put them on the rear and put the half worn ones on the front
Right tools for the job - If one has a quiver of skis, one's vehicle should have a quiver of tires.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Next you'll be telling me that Subaru didn't use industrial espionage to steal the boxer engine from VW back in the day. ogwink
No, but the Hercules Avalanche R-G2 uses the old Nokian Hakkapeliitta R molds.

If General was to use an older mold for their tires, historically, it's been Gislaved molds. Continental also owns General Tire and Gislaved tire brands.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was surprised at the glowing review to "American" all-season tires from a euro...

Sponsor

Staff online